super glue sticking plaster

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Just a thought....3 days ago I had a go at peeling the skin off my left thumb with a sharp elbow adze, its a clean cut, nothing serious. I put a pad on it with some of that orange sort of elasto plast tape (the modern sort that barely sticks, not the good old traditional stuff that would stay on for a week and you needed a crowbar to remove it) Normally it starts to peel up at the edge, bits of fluff get stuck on it, or itcatches on your tools and/or work and it soon comes apart and you waste the plaster. I suddenly thought why not stick the edges with a spot of superglue, which I did, and it works a treat (not stuck to my skin, just along the edges to stop them peeling up). It stayed on for 2 days including carving for 4 or 5 hours and having a bath with no problems.

Reactions: Nice65

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Depending on the cut, Cyano acrylates are excellent of glueing the edges of the wound together.
You can also cover the surface of an larger abrasion, if it does not bleed so much.

Unfortunately I can not use it inside the mouth, so I have to stitch...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have been told you should not use ordainary superglue on cuts. The superglue they use in hospital is a medical grade. Steristrips should be to hand in your fak which should be nearby when using edged tools, and should be used for bad cuts. Then a trip to doc, chemist, or hospital if it's bad enough for proper care. Please don't use superglue on your skin. It has some pretty nasty chemicals in that you realy don't want to introduce into your body. Lecture over!:)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No.
Basically the same stuff. The medical stuff is made under 'sterile conditions' and very costly.

If a wound is large or deep enough so a simple plaster is not enough, that should really be cleaned and treated professionally, hence the recommendation.
Should you manage to place cyano acrylates into an artery or vein - not good.

I use one called Dermabond. Made for (by?) the same people that make suture materials.
Use it to glue lips.
Better than a suture.

They started using CA during the Vietnam war, to glue kidneys and livers together.
The first medical grade CA became widely spread in early 70's.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Exactly! It's sterile and not been hanging about a dirty draw or whatever picking up germs on the nozzle that you then touch to a wound. Steristrips are widely available and fairly cheap... and sterile!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was always told, and I have no reason to doubt it, that super glue was developed for medical applications and then was adopted for all other uses. I was also told by a paramedic that it is inherently sterile but that the greatest danger of using it was that it locked in germs because it sealed so completely. Aloe Vera and Woundwort can do the same if the cut isn't properly cleansed before applying.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Exactly! It's sterile and not been hanging about a dirty draw or whatever picking up germs on the nozzle that you then touch to a wound. Steristrips are widely available and fairly cheap... and sterile!

I wonder if you read my post? or if I didn't describe very well?
I clearly said the glue was NOT directly on my skin,I used it to make non sticky Elastoplast to be actually sticky.There is a pad against the wound, and it was wrapped with tape, superglued where it overlaps itself, and at the end, to prevent it lifting as usually happens. The cut is healing up just FINE. I continued working with no problems, no blood on the wood, no need to waste time going to a doctor or anything. Its a definite step up from kitchen Roll and masking tape

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I wonder if you read my post? or if I didn't describe very well?
I clearly said the glue was NOT directly on my skin,I used it to make non sticky Elastoplast to be actually sticky.There is a pad against the wound, and it was wrapped with tape, superglued where it overlaps itself, and at the end, to prevent it lifting as usually happens. The cut is healing up just FINE. I continued working with no problems, no blood on the wood, no need to waste time going to a doctor or anything. Its a definite step up from kitchen Roll and masking tape

I'm sure we all read your post mr dazzler; it's just we are wont to go off on tangents :)
I do like your idea of improving the effectiveness of plasters though!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Too much is sterile these days. It's why people are allergic to everything. You wash a wound under the tap it's not sterilized water.
Got a dirty great gouge in me right palm as I type. Medical treatment? I pressed it against my farm dirty work trousers for a bit...sorted

The glue coming out of that tube will have less bacteria on it any surface you will have touched during the day, or food you have eaten.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bug lol

Reactions: cascare and MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have used medical grade skin glue both professionally before and on myself, and normal super glue on myself a couple of times. Normal superglue definitely scars more. I wouldn’t recommend it tbh steristrips and pressure work just aswell and scar less.

Biggest problem with glue is ‘gluing’ any bacteria already in the wound permanently in place....

Duct tape is surpringly effective as a temporary plaster to

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ducati tape works on verrucas too! Very effective and cheap. Son goto one and doctor said to use duct tape. I was amazed and thought she was taking the proverbial. But as I couldn't afford expensive chemist solution decided to try it just to prove her wrong. I was realy looking forward to going back and telling her she was talking rubbish. To my amazement it worked in less than a week!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I used to have a Ducati SS back in pre history.

It eas well built. But the Harley I had after needed Duct tape basically all over it.
But then it would have lifted the crappy chrome and paint, so maybe not!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ducati tape works on verrucas too! Very effective and cheap. Son goto one and doctor said to use duct tape. I was amazed and thought she was taking the proverbial. But as I couldn't afford expensive chemist solution decided to try it just to prove her wrong. I was realy looking forward to going back and telling her she was talking rubbish. To my amazement it worked in less than a week!

This is way off topic, but it does definitely work. The problem is it getting shifted by movement, sweat etc. Clear nail varnish applied just to the verruca in a few layers works, as does the Liquid Skin superglue stuff.

Like Mr D, I have a problem keeping any form of adhesive wound covering in place, so do get a bit free and easy with the Liquid Skin stuff for a more permanent solution.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Electrical tape is my favourite. It's about the only bandage that can stand a days work.
If it's on a finger then it will come off eventually but keeps it's shape and slides back on

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have used medical grade skin glue both professionally before and on myself, and normal super glue on myself a couple of times. Normal superglue definitely scars more. I wouldn’t recommend it tbh steristrips and pressure work just aswell and scar less.

Biggest problem with glue is ‘gluing’ any bacteria already in the wound permanently in place....

To reiterate...I didn't PUT any super glue directly any where on any skin or wound, I made what effectively turned out to be a mini "pot" like you would have on a fractured wrist or ankle.The elasto plast was actually reinforced and stiffened by the superglue.It held up superbly and was extremely difficult to remove. Not because it was stuck to ME with superglue,but because the plaster was laminated into the shape of my thumb and was happy to stay in place, even doing 2 or 3 hours of fine finishing pushcut's and being soaked several times....
Scars aren't an issue, theres already 5 or 6 interesting ones on my left thumb, wether this latest leaves one, I don't know yet, and am not bothered any way!
Thanks for all the responces from all who responded

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
To reiterate...I didn't PUT any super glue directly any where on any skin or wound, I made what effectively turned out to be a mini "pot" like you would have on a fractured wrist or ankle.The elasto plast was actually reinforced and stiffened by the superglue.It held up superbly and was extremely difficult to remove. Not because it was stuck to ME with superglue,but because the plaster was laminated into the shape of my thumb and was happy to stay in place, even doing 2 or 3 hours of fine finishing pushcut's and being soaked several times....
Scars aren't an issue, theres already 5 or 6 interesting ones on my left thumb, wether this latest leaves one, I don't know yet, and am not bothered any way!
Thanks for all the responces from all who responded

It’s fine I wasn’t fussed either way, I have used super glue on a cut, and while it scarred more I would still do it in future in need be,

What people do or don’t do is up to them to be honest!

Reactions: Janne

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Nice find with the superglue mr dazzler.
I'm a big fan of micropore tape for those clean cuts. I like the way it seems to breathe and it sticks really well.
I usually use a smear of savlon too, I've never had any issues, but I'm no expert.
I also agree with MrEd I've used super glue and liquid skin sometimes. depends on where the cut is and how easy it is to fit a plaster.
A little scarring for the convenience would not overly bother me but again I wouldn't think of recommending to someone else.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Medical superglue IS different to normal superglue, aside from sterile processing. It is lower bloom and produces less heat on curing, both are reasons for the less scarring For most people just sticking a little cut together on the surface of you skin, the benefits will be marginal or not noticable i expect.

As for the original epiphany, i often use it to glue more apprpriate dressings down at the edges to keep them in place whilst i work. Especially steristrips used to hold annoying flaps or constantly opening finger tip cuts..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE