Suggestions for planting in the next week or so.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having cleared more of the garden there's space for a few more beds so I'm wondering is there anything that is usually planted about now? Either something quick growing or that will come to fruit next year?

Basically we decided to cut in several long narrow beds that can be weeded without actually stepping on them with paths between them.

The Anglo Saxon stuff has come on well, so far, by the way. Thanks again to those who provided seeds or advice or just encouragement!

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a good time to plant out the more tender bean varieties mate (haricot, dutch brown etc.), plenty of time to get a pea crop in, good time for planting out brussels and cabbages.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Tom,

Have you tried Strawberry Spinnach? It's a perennial I used to grow and was in fashion in the 1600's. The leaves you can use like spinach (contains oxalates like spinach so best cooked - though I used to blanch it and make a mean pesto with it). The added bonus is that it has berries which are nice to eat too - though some find them bland. Used to put them on my cereal in the morning.

These guys who I have no connection to sell them. http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Strawbini_Seed/

This Wiki page also mentions that the Native Americans used to use the flowers as a dye which may be of interest to you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitum_capitatum

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That is different, I'll have to consult herself. She's on a carb free ( at least no bread, potatoes, rice etc etc, none of the staples anyway) so more greenery she can shovel in the better.

Spelts planted about mid April and cut the end of July if I've read right. Do you reckon I could get it in now and it be fit to crop in August. Only a small arch so I could water it and coset it more. I regret not doing it earlier. I've got some hulled spelt from that windmill in Nots we visited to get barley meal and today potted some up to see if it will germinate.

im still trying to research a early form of oats to go in this autumn. I think I've missed the boat on that one for stuff to be harvested at the end of summer.

More peas will be a good idea.

i think I will plant out the bere I had potted up to see how it like the soil here, the roots must have filled the pot by now!.

Now to go hunt my mukluks, the rains not come, much to my surprise, if I don't se the felt liners I can get them on over the socks and turn she's I'm drying on my feet after turning. I had thought I'd be staying in.

atb

tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thats a new one on me GB - may have to try that :)

Strange, thought I'd sent you that plant idea a year or so back knowing your interest in esoteric food veg! Hey ho, mind playing tricks on me I fear. Doesn't always last as a perennial but should hopefully fair well in Mercia. I was planting it as far north as Alyth so if you keep it in a protected position it should over winter.

I liked it for the double crop which is always good in limited space.

Let us know how you fair with it if you go ahead.

ATB,
GB.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's still very early in the year, you can plant lots of things right now. This week I will be planting my climbing beans, a pumpkin, beetroot, raddish, broccoli, lettuce. It's also not too late to put second early potatoes in.

If you want things to harvest fast, I have had good results from the suttons speedy seeds range, and also this year I am experimenting with their window box gardening range.

This week I ordered some Broccoli - Sakura and Dwarf bean - Speedy to plant in the next week. Both in my pallet garden, and also probably in some window boxes.

Happy growing!

Julia

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks! Once the middle sons ha his belated tea we will go out and remove the turf where the next two beds are going and dig in a load of compost, since its laying about doing no good for anyone.

atb

Tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Courgettes, I potted 6 seeds less than two weeks ago and they are now around three inches in growth. Plenty of time left to seed some herbs and tomato and strawberry plants/seeds will still take.

http://www.plantsbypost.com/tomato-plants.html

Look through the site, I've only just moved into our new house so am relying on a couple of small polly greenhouses from Poundstretcher, take three grow bags each @£14.99 and will do until I get a polytunnel up for next year.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Cut and come again lettuce, rocket, both come up fast and we have been cropping rocket for a few weeks now, its much more peppery than the shop bought, as are our radishes, as said above they too crop fast.
and remember what John Seymour says, you can never have enough peas...........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE