Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Sorry to here you didn't feel well Simon.

Today I thought I better put my boots on and go for a walk, I would really like to do the challenge from Melton Station but as I'm very unfit I'm bit concerned I would not be able to manage it. I had a good briskish walk through Rendlesham forest for 3 hours, thoroughly enjoyed it and felt fine but I'm going to need to get some proper walking boots or something as I could feel my feet moving around in my boots too much. I reckon with a fully loaded pack I would struggle. Still I've got some time to try and get my fitness up a bit before the challenge.

I cant believe the state of Rendlesam Forest....... there are trees down all over the place since the high winds, looks like its going to take ages to clear up.

I recommend Lowa or Meindl boots. Pricey, but unbelievably comfortable, well built, and tough. Also, Meindl are the only company that seems to make boots in my exact length and width (I have unnaturally wide feet).

I'll be moving into my new offices in Rendlesham over the next two weeks, so if you fancy a day hike... feel free to give me a shout :)

Also something I always keep in mind when doing these hikes between sites: if I feel like I can't hike any more, I'll just stop, pitch up and rest. It really doesn't matter if I have to spend the night on the trail... it's safer than pushing it too far. Must admit, the mileage I did yesterday with full pack was quite hard on my back... though I feel pretty good for it today (gut not-withstanding)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Today I thought I better put my boots on and go for a walk, I would really like to do the challenge from Melton Station but as I'm very unfit I'm bit concerned I would not be able to manage it. I had a good briskish walk through Rendlesham forest for 3 hours, thoroughly enjoyed it and felt fine but I'm going to need to get some proper walking boots or something as I could feel my feet moving around in my boots too much. I reckon with a fully loaded pack I would struggle. Still I've got some time to try and get my fitness up a bit before the challenge.

I cant believe the state of Rendlesam Forest....... there are trees down all over the place since the high winds, looks like its going to take ages to clear up.

Thats the way bud, practice is all it takes....

There is quite a bit of wind damage, but hey ho, adds to the interest, :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
It costs me £39 to have my back sorted by an amazing osteopath in Stowmarket, I'm gona see him just before the challenge then probably just after it., thanks for the advice on the boots, apparently they have large range of boots in Makro, so may pop in there next week and have a look.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Well I used to see Peter as he was a family friend, in fact I used to go to his house in Newborn, but unfortunately he passed away, so started to see John in Stowmarket, but then he left so I now see Simon. Simon also looks after my 3 year old son too. He is brilliant.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Have a shop round bud for a good local selection, I would try Go Outdoors in Colchester, don't go by brand go by what feels right on your feet, and don't forget a really good pair of walking socks, and change them for a clean dry pair every day :), also carry a small bottle of talc so you can talc your feet when finished for the day... :).

Just make sure you have a really good fitting pair of boots :)...

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Any one used Mountain Warehouse in Ipswich.......... looking for boots and want to make sure I get correctly fitting items so need advice, any where else around here I can try too?

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Have a shop round bud for a good local selection, I would try Go Outdoors in Colchester, don't go by brand go by what feels right on your feet, and don't forget a really good pair of walking socks, and change them for a clean dry pair every day :), also carry a small bottle of talc so you can talc your feet when finished for the day... :).

Just make sure you have a really good fitting pair of boots :)...

I will try Colchester.......... but it does mean going across the boarder :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will try Colchester.......... but it does mean going across the boarder :)

yeah but if your got four fingers and an opposing thumb , you will be OK, just dont take the socks off and let them see the Hairy feet :). That's if you live in the Shires....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It costs me £39 to have my back sorted by an amazing osteopath in Stowmarket, I'm gona see him just before the challenge then probably just after it., thanks for the advice on the boots, apparently they have large range of boots in Makro, so may pop in there next week and have a look.

Mine costs me £32 a session, and she's cracking (no pun intended). I see her once every two weeks.

A suggestion re boots is to avoid the temptation to buy the 9" high "army-style" boots. They put additional stress on your hamstrings, and in my case caused damage to my ankles. I go with the 6" high mountaineering boots, and wear gaiters to keep my pants clean.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Mine costs me £32 a session, and she's cracking (no pun intended). I see her once every two weeks.

A suggestion re boots is to avoid the temptation to buy the 9" high "army-style" boots. They put additional stress on your hamstrings, and in my case caused damage to my ankles. I go with the 6" high mountaineering boots, and wear gaiters to keep my pants clean.

Yeah, I was looking for ankle boots just normal walking boots really.......... I keep my knee high's for Friday night :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE