Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
I remember reading an article on ultralight backpacking, the author suggested taking sleeping pills to make it more comfortable at night as he was using summer weight bags in winter, but he was the sort to take only the clothes he started in, no hygiene kit or first aid kit and live off polo mints for a week.

I would want to do something that I would enjoy, that doesn't sound very enjoyable to me and down right dangerous.
I tend to agree with Stu, try to get as lightweight as is practical and get fit, then you will enjoy the experience.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would want to do something that I would enjoy, that doesn't sound very enjoyable to me and down right dangerous.
I tend to agree with Stu, try to get as lightweight as is practical and get fit, then you will enjoy the experience.

I remember make my own meals some times as light weight food was not easy to get/or cheap..lol, we used to use Smash stick in some gravy and some other bits in maybe curry powder what every would sort of make it taste better, lol put them in self seal bags when it came to use them , put the bag in the a cup, boil some water, pour eat take bag out of cup and the have a brew :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Light weight food still isnt cheap to buy but there is a great variety nowadays, still needs water though so unless you can get it along the way has to be carried

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
always the trade of water against food type.. when I was doing the back packing it was mainly in places like the lakes/Scotland/wales..so water was from streams/lakes/tarns.

We used to go straight from work on a Friday, pick up the lads drive thought the night till we got there, and return home late Sunday night/early Monday morning, lol..... I would not do it now, all the way to the Lakes for just two days in the hills lol, but it depends on how much you want it.

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
I remember reading an article on ultralight backpacking, the author suggested taking sleeping pills to make it more comfortable at night as he was using summer weight bags in winter, but he was the sort to take only the clothes he started in, no hygiene kit or first aid kit and live off polo mints for a week.

I'm sure when they found him on the trail/hill dead from hyperthermia he smelt fresh!

I laugh when those tell me they have all this superlight gear and dont sleep well because they're cold! And a wry smile when they drill holes in their toothbrush, cut edges from the maps, trim straps and laces in the pursuit to save weight :confused:

My efforts with the the three heavy 'S's Shelter, Sleep system and Sack still frustrate me, will lightweight last, keep me warm and dry and fit the budget? and from experience you may save weight but sacrifice comfort.

Excuse me while I go drill the holes out of my polos an extra mil!!

Last edited:

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
always the trade of water against food type.. when I was doing the back packing it was mainly in places like the lakes/Scotland/wales..so water was from streams/lakes/tarns.

Hear, hear! I drink/fill from fast flowing sources and done me no harm, yet!

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hear, hear! I drink/fill from fast flowing sources and done me no harm, yet!

Even used the rain water, lol... as long as there's plenty of water about, then theres no need to take hydrated food, just thinking we never took tea/coffee either always used to be bovril cubes.. as they could be used to flavor the smash, and if you did not use the bag in the cup method, and just use the cup to eat out off then the drink being bovril did not get tainted from the smash :)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Yes Chris, I have got my vulcan now. Seems good to me, i'll bring it on the next meet. I have a feeling I won't have to spend so much time packing stuff away as i have 25% more volume than in the sack i've been using up until now. Just have to refrain from filling it up with extras!

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Yep, and the webbing to turn them into a rucksack. 20l response pack, hmmm what could I use that for. (Stand back and watch fireworks) :) they also gave me a folding toothbrush, mirror and whistle as freebies.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The volume depends on supplier, Karrimor state 12.5 l, webtex 13l, issues ones 10l but at the end of the day does it really matter :)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I got it from Endicotts after your recommendation, nice guys. It apparently had a small hole at the bottom from being dragged around, but they patched it with leather for me, so its probably tougher than before.

As far as the volume goes I reckon I could slowly pour a whole bucket of water into one of the pouches and not fill it up. Whatever it's still more than my 65+ 15l Lowe Alpine Bag

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Yup you have an 80l bag and 2 10l side pouches, you have seen mine I could compress all my stuff in a lot smaller and it would all fit in the main bit apart from the tent but by having stuff spread out makes it easier to find stuff.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Yeah I'm thinking food in a pouch, ground sheet tarp and maybe tent in the other. First aid kit in the lid, and the rest inside. But I'll see how the weight balance feels.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE