Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
I wouldn't appeal. They don't like people that do that and I ended up with the same test instructor. Cheaper to post their game.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I wouldn't appeal. They don't like people that do that and I ended up with the same test instructor. Cheaper to post their game.

i'm quite sure they don't like people appealling but if there is a valid reason for the appeal why should they get away with it. If i had been in the same position i would have appealled, but there you go.

Yes Simon so much to do so little time. i will buy the foods for saturday and cook it all tomorrow, freeze it and transport it chilled on Friday. Looking forward to the weekend. See you all then.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
i'm quite sure they don't like people appealling but if there is a valid reason for the appeal why should they get away with it. If i had been in the same position i would have appealled, but there you go.

Yes Simon so much to do so little time. i will buy the foods for saturday and cook it all tomorrow, freeze it and transport it chilled on Friday. Looking forward to the weekend. See you all then.

Had my instructor joined me, there may have been some hope to an appeal, but with only my word against a qualified examiner... I wouldn't stand a chance. Just not worth the hastle of alienating the examiners (forcing me to go either to Colechester or Bury St Edmonds to take the test again).

As for my group meal (which I hope to do Saturday night), I'll be going out on the Saturday to buy the necessary ingredients. I want to make it fresh, and I don't want to risk the ingredients going off in the heat (we're due 18C on Saturday according to the marine forecasts). I know it's sort of a "cheat" in that I'd be leaving the woods to grab the food, but I'd rather do that than risk us all getting sick from off meat and veg!

Not going to have time to modify my original 4x4 tarp, sadly (busy day tomorow and setting off Friday to join you all) but I'll make do with it as standard (should be okay)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
3 Nighter Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Meeting 3rd to 6th May 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

This is a new site that I have not seen. If you are coming at a different time I please let me know I'll PM you my number.

For those that like the Idea of a walk in they can leave the cars at the Farm and Walk-in to check out how light their kit is, it looks like about a 1K walk by road, and any others can leave the cars at the farm as well, remember it is a dirt track up to the Wood.

Cost
The charge is £10 for the two nights or £15 for 3 nights, (if you want to stay 1 night then I am afraid for this one, it will still be £10 the cost is being dictated by the site at the mo..) - I have just had to pay a Deposit to secure the site... so I hope its a good one... I will collect payment for the site as you arrive in Cash please.

We will be allowed to glean Wood from the site,

Group Meals

Days to be sorted between the makers...

There will be a Group Meal, made by Kirkland as he has offered, he is offering a Curry, Thank you for the offer Kirkland.

Simon has offered to do another nights Meal as well..Thank You for the offer Simon

(The Group meals are normally supplied but the person making them then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Please say which you would like so the guys know how many to cater for..

Facilities
This is in a Woodland that is not camped by anyone else, The toilets and Water will be back at the farm yard where there is also a shower - As far as water goes please remember that there is NO tap in this woodland, so bring enough water/carriers to last you your stay in line with your usage.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, as you would if we were in the wild.. I know you probably have guessed that, but thought I would remind you, please stick to using the defined area... I have been wondering about a latrine due to the amount of us there, and the amount of times we may want to use the woodlands in the future. and don't really want loads of little scratch, burn, cover, and mark areas.

Other Info
I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of tarps, for a group shelter, Carl can you bring your rope again please,

Can people also before they leave check their pitch, and remove any Items and clean up, not leave it to others, we would not want the same thing happening again as last meet, Please can every one bring a bin bag so we can make sure we clear up after us, we are going to have to be careful of the fire scare we leave, so we will have to cut a fire place and then replace, - it is a probation trail with this site

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

The Landowners have accepted the invite to come and drop in for a cuppa with us, as they are very interested in what we do.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

Nearest A&E Department

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals, and how many nights your staying.

List of Attending/ Meals
1. Big Stu - 3 nights - Both Meals
2. SJStuart - 3 Nights - Both Meals
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3 - Both Meals
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte, maybe 3 - Both Meals
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights - Both Meals
6. Mikesmith777 - 2 nights (Sat & Sun) -Self Cater (Fri may still be an option, if I can get out of working the evening!)
7. Reamvi Thantos - 2 nights - Both Meals
8. Crosslandkelly - 3 nights - Both meals.
9. Richard Stansfield - 2 nights - Self Cater
10. Rumcelt- 2 nights -Both Meals
11. Wittler Kev - Possible

List of Activities - Can people please champion the activities, to be done on a as and when basis..

Thank you to the attendee's for running activity's as this will promote ideas and the passing of knowledge, and will make it a weekend of group cooperation :cool:

1. Spoon Carving
2. Natural Shelter Building
3. Tarpology
4. Fire Lays & Lighting Methods
5. Use and Care of Sharps
6. Working with Dyneema/Amsteel (making Whoopie Slings)

Well on Sleep left, Time to Shop.... Pack.... looking like it could be a good one.... see you soon guys bee good to spend some time in the woods with a great group of guys..

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Look what I got today :D

DSC_0158.JPG

Cost £42 for the lot (think about that compared to a week's food shopping for a family of 4)

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Sorry about the test, I hope you pass the next one and as you say disceshion might be the est thing. I was of the understanding that they can only pass a surten number of people and once thier quoter is done it does not matter if you were best driver in the world you will be fiald.

See you all Friday.

Reg Rum

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi People,

Just to let you know the damage for the curry it is £6.84 each. Lamb rogon gosth curry, rice, a nan bread and an onion bagi each. Loads of curry made (six packs of lamb leg included) so we won't be hungry.

All packed and ready for the off, i may even make the 1pm meet but don't hold me to that. i've got to get from Bury St. Edmunds to Chelmsford, do a site survey, get back home and do my report etc. get loaded up and get to the site.

See y'all soon gents.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I picked up a LifeSaver Jerrycan today, so clean drinking water (from whatever source) won't be a problem.
See, I obviously can't bring all the water I need since I'm coming by motorbike (and have to pack all my gear into it).

Given the issues involved in loading this all up, I may or may not make the 1PM time... but I know where we're headed and I have BigStu's mobile number from the Rendlesham outing a few months back.

As I said before, I'll be buying in the food for my group meal on the Saturday (stir fry doesn't freeze so good)

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Bad News, can't make Friday.
Good News, will be there first thing Saturday morning, to spend two nights in the woods, I'm really looking forward to this.

Stuart, is it ok to call you Saturday morning regarding unloading gear, quite happy to leave car at farm but would like to drop gear nearer the site if it is possible?

I have a spare 8' x 12' tarp and some rope if you want it for the group shelter?

Looking forward to seeing you all Saturday.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Turn up and give me a call, it should be possible to get the cars up to the wood just not sure about the parking or what the condition of the dirt track is, but it should be dry :)

I think I am Packed now, just seem to have loads of gear........

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'd ideally like to try and roll the bike into the woods as close to camp as possible. Not for the sake of unloading, but rather for the sake of security... It's an "adventure tourer" so has some off-road potential. Guess I'll see how far I can get when I arrive.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi, I can make it but only for the one night! I'll be over for the Sunday (starting early from my place). Do you want me to wander straight to the wood? BigStu do you want a PM with my details?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi, I can make it but only for the one night! I'll be over for the Sunday (starting early from my place). Do you want me to wander straight to the wood? BigStu do you want a PM with my details?

Hi yeah that would be good t meet you, come to the wood, i'll PM you my number.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
3 Nighter Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Meeting 3rd to 6th May 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

This is a new site that I have not seen...If you are coming at a different time I please let me know I'll PM you my number.

For those that like the Idea of a walk in they can leave the cars at the Farm and Walk-in to check out how light their kit is, it looks like about a 1K walk by road, and any others can leave the cars at the farm as well, remember it is a dirt track up to the Wood.

Cost
The charge is £10 for the two nights or £15 for 3 nights, (if you want to stay 1 night then I am afraid for this one, it will still be £10 the cost is being dictated by the site at the mo..) - I have just had to pay a Deposit to secure the site... so I hope its a good one... I will collect payment for the site as you arrive in Cash please.

We will be allowed to glean Wood from the site,

Group Meals

Days to be sorted between the makers...

There will be a Group Meal, made by Kirkland as he has offered, he is offering a Curry, Thank you for the offer Kirkland.

Simon has offered to do another nights Meal as well..Thank You for the offer Simon

(The Group meals are normally supplied but the person making them then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Please say which you would like so the guys know how many to cater for..

Facilities
This is in a Woodland that is not camped by anyone else, The toilets and Water will be back at the farm yard where there is also a shower - As far as water goes please remember that there is NO tap in this woodland, so bring enough water/carriers to last you your stay in line with your usage.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, as you would if we were in the wild.. I know you probably have guessed that, but thought I would remind you, please stick to using the defined area... I have been wondering about a latrine due to the amount of us there, and the amount of times we may want to use the woodlands in the future. and don't really want loads of little scratch, burn, cover, and mark areas.

Other Info
I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of tarps, for a group shelter, Carl can you bring your rope again please,

Can people also before they leave check their pitch, and remove any Items and clean up, not leave it to others, we would not want the same thing happening again as last meet, Please can every one bring a bin bag so we can make sure we clear up after us, we are going to have to be careful of the fire scare we leave, so we will have to cut a fire place and then replace, - it is a probation trail with this site

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

The Landowners have accepted the invite to come and drop in for a cuppa with us, as they are very interested in what we do.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

Nearest A&E Department

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals, and how many nights your staying.

List of Attending/ Meals
1. Big Stu - 3 nights - Both Meals
2. SJStuart - 3 Nights - Both Meals
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3 - Both Meals
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte, maybe 3 - Both Meals
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights - Both Meals
6. Mikesmith777 - 2 nights (Sat & Sun) -Self Cater
7. Reamvi Thantos - 2 nights - Both Meals
8. Crosslandkelly - 3 nights - Both meals.
9. Richard Stansfield - 2 nights - Self Cater
10. Rumcelt- 2 nights -Both Meals
11. Wittler Kev - Possible
12. Broomstickize - Sunday night only

List of Activities - Can people please champion the activities, to be done on a as and when basis..

Thank you to the attendee's for running activity's as this will promote ideas and the passing of knowledge, and will make it a weekend of group cooperation :cool:

1. Spoon Carving
2. Natural Shelter Building
3. Tarpology
4. Fire Lays & Lighting Methods
5. Use and Care of Sharps
6. Working with Dyneema/Amsteel (making Whoopie Slings)

The day has arrived... see you Guys later :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE