Suffolk - 28th December "Bivi Bag Challenge"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
On Saturday 28th December I'll be running a winter challenge I'm calling the "Bivi Bag Challenge".

The plan at present is to make it a one-nighter, with the possibility (depending on how that first night goes for those participating) to continue on for the Sunday night (29th) as well.

We'll be using an unmanaged woodland out on the Suffolk coast (not too far from the village of Orford, and the village of Tunstall). Only going to be room for 4 or (at most) 5 people without drawing unwanted attention to ourselves (to be clear, this is woodland with permission, but has people living nearby I don't want to disturb)... so whomever puts their names down first will have a place.

No costs, you are responsible for yourself (I'm not liable for anything... if you hurt yourself, that's your own fault).

Kit you can bring:
1) A bivi bag
2) Sleeping bag or blankets (your choice)
3) Ground mat (thermarest or foam pad... up to you)
4) Knife
5) Folding saw or Axe
6) Basic cook kit (pan, spoon etc) but no stoves!
7) Some food (it's not exactly a paradise of wild edibles out there right now)
8) Ferro rod or similar sparking tool (no matches, lighters etc)
9) Flashlight/lantern/head torch (you don't have to use it, but for the sake of each other's safety you'll need to bring one)
10) Med kit (we're not savages, after all)
11) Water! Bladder or canteen, up to you.

No tents, no tarps, no tinder materials or other firestarters (we'll be collecting what we can find from the woodland).

The idea is to build a viable shelter (either as a group of as individuals), to start a fire with natural tinder gathered in the woodland - preferably using friction but with spark-makers on hand just in case we really fail for whatever reason).

Expect snow, but hope for rain ;)

Copy and paste the list below, and add your name accordingly:

1) SJStuart
2) Iambosscat
3)
4)
5)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Its a shame I cant make it Simon, as you know I like a good challenge.. :)...

Hope this one goes well for you, and you have a good time. make sure you get some good pics bud.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well, in the end Iambosscat couldn't make it... so it was just me :)

Found a nice spot in the woods, unrolled the "Matilda" setup (bivi bag with inflating mat and sleeping bag inside, all ready to go). Threw the wool blanket over the top of the bivi to protect it from arrant embers.
Gathered plenty of firewood, duly processed it up, lit an "upside-down fire" designed to burn for the entire night, cooked my dinner and made a brew, then turned in for the night.

I used a bulrush pod as tinder, and a typical ferorod to light the fire.

I myself was lovely and warm, though - as I had expected - the inside of the crap Mil-Tec bivi bag became lined with condensation, which has in turn wet the outside of my sleeping bag. That's because the Mil-Tec bivi bag is about as breathable as a heft bin liner... so I'm getting rid of that and getting a proper GoreTex one instead!

It was nice laying out next to the fire, looking up at the stars. Saw a couple of shooting stars, too, so that's a bonus. Would've been nice to have had company, but I guess nobody was interested... so fair enough.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats a shame Bud, it was a nice clear night last night,

I was outside in a young lady's back garden last night drinking and chatting, well sort of :), in the early hrs of this morning way out of town, and the sky was so clear you could see everything, but it was dam cold :).

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thats a shame Bud, it was a nice clear night last night,

I was outside in a young lady's back garden last night drinking and chatting, well sort of :), in the early hrs of this morning way out of town, and the sky was so clear you could see everything, but it was dam cold :).

I was very impressed with the clear sky and visibility last night, given the low mists and fogs we've had here on the coast lately. Outside the bivi (and away from the fire) was certainly cold, but inside and by that fire was lovely and toasty :)

Just a shame the morning has to be ruined by a soaking wet sleeping bag!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like an interesting article but my Mcaffee is having a fit when I try and go on it. Is it just me?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Would've been nice to have had company, but I guess nobody was interested... so fair enough.

I don't know about anyone else but as someone who works and has a family , my Christmas and New Year holiday period is planned for and booked up several MONTHS in advance, 6 days notice would be damn difficult at the best of times let alone this time of year so maybe next time you mght get company with more of a lead in warning - just a suggestion.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I don't know about anyone else but as someone who works and has a family , my Christmas and New Year holiday period is planned for and booked up several MONTHS in advance, 6 days notice would be damn difficult at the best of times let alone this time of year so maybe next time you mght get company with more of a lead in warning - just a suggestion.

I wasn't having a stab at anyone, mate... was just saying it would've been nice to have some company.
I also have family and work, which is why I often don't get much time to plan these things... thus short notice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE