Subaru Outback?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Not an Outback, but my ex had a Forester, almost the same except for the body work. Excellent vehicle, loved driving it, reliable and very capable off road.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the replies, and I've bought myself one; five years old with 24000 miles and a year's parts and labour warranty. I've put 800 miles or so on it and I love it, the only thing I'm a bit wary of is the CVT gearbox. Although working very well and having the option of using it manually, (no need to use manual so far, I couldn't shift more efficiently than the car does for itself) I have a very slight nagging feeling about it, towing for example, but that's probably me being a neophobe. Happy days so far, it's a nice capable and comfortable car.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You would probably only use manual if/when you go off-road - the CVT can't predict a change in terrain so will only change when the load changes; sometimes that is too late. Dropping a gear or two manually before an obstacle will give you a better chance of getting through.

I've only experienced one when instructing off-road so long-time users/owners may well disagree with me :) It hasn't got the ground clearance of some 4x4s but has serious capability.

Flarris

May 27, 2009
Maidstone
I've only heard good things about most of the Subaru's, and spoken to a few mechanics about them. Bomb proof reliability and most owners seem to stay faithful to that make

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
YouTube just chucked this my way. Kind of looks like the guy was on his way to work, found a bit of a traffic jam, and just drove on past. :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got about 4k miles on my mine now, from motorway to country b roads, but mostly into paddocks through mud, in and out of the woods ( I have to drive the stone rides quite often where I live ) and the car has been great; I just can't fault it, and it's cavernous in the back with the seats down. Superb vehicle for country use, can't recommend it highly enough.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There was a comment in that video, nested in one level. Are these problems seen on UK Subarus too?

Rockie Rhodes

1 month ago (edited)
The AWD transmission on Subarus is what beats the others. I have seen other videos showing stock AWD/4WD vehicles trying to do off road and hill tasks, and Subaru takes the cake! How ever the engineers at Subaru designed the differentials and programmed the AWD ECU, it’s phenomenal. The power transfer to wheels factor on Suby’s is incredible. I don’t like the short life of those boxer motors though, mainly the turbo ones 2.0 and 2.5 commonly don’t make it past 150k, not to mention the 2 valve covers and 2 head gaskets you have to regularly (20-50k) change out—what a hassle!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Mine has been regularly serviced, not sure what is covered on a minor/ major service. I've had no problems with the engine at all.
The problems I've had are either driver error or the battery needs replacing because it hasn't moved much in the last 2 years (covid) and the cold weather is breaking the 10 year old battery.
Seeing as batteries are only supposed to last half that time i do not consider it a fault.

Sep 5, 2022
Lancashire
Mine must have been a Friday car.
3 years ownership 2010 2.0d manual.
Dpf and egr issues, despite Motorway driving.
replaced suspension arms.
Wheel bearing.
Clutch was going.
And most importantly fuel leaks, the fuel lines rusted in a few places leaking diesel, was a cheap fix of pulling the lines further down the metal pipe but could go again. Lost confidence in it and sold it for repairs.

Good points it was a nice drive and brilliant in snow and rough farm roads. Seats where comfortable with heated leather and climate control was great just left it on 19.5c all year. Bluetooth was a bit poor.

I bought it to replace a old Ford Focus and that car was a lot more reliable.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Reading these past few posts has had me going over my ownership of the scoobie, and I honestly can't say a bad word about the car; looked at the odometer on the way home just now and it's exactly 10k miles in almost exactly a year. the car really does go effortlessly through places it really has no place being, (precisely why I bought it) it's comfortable with passengers, a pleasure to drive and really capacious for gear/luggage etc. The only thing that I just can't get my head around is 30mpg, pretty much wherever and however I drive it.

I'd certainly recommend the car, and not just for 'country driving'; the fuel consumption is the only issue but well worth it for me.

Sep 5, 2022
Lancashire
I probably just had a bad example.

Bought with 75k and 115k when I sold it. If it wasn’t for the fuel leak I would have kept it but I lost confidence for my and my family.

The car was great for space and the Diesel engine did 43mpg which I think is good for a car that size. Got a smaller FWD car now and I do miss it.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My eldest daughter had a SH ‘outback’ when she was a community nurse. She had to travel considerable distances over very poor tracks to outlying settlements and always felt confident in her Subaru’s reliability and capabilities.
After nearly six years she moved away and gave the car to a family of her clients.
Now living in London she doesn’t need a car:)
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE