Stupid idea or fun - survival weekend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Me and my friend are talking about getting dropped off in a wood about 20 miles from us with basic belt kit,etc, there is a stream nearby to boil water and pletny of berries to eat and could catch rabbits we plan to go with just a little food and fire lighting or shelter equipent and just the clothes we have on us,We regulary rough camp in the woods and know all the skills to survive just we have yet to put them to the test - so i would like adive please - we could survive for a weekend and walk back but there is a risk and we have not practiced these skills yet or should we wait and go another time after learning the skills properly and can learn from our mistakes, Im sat here thinking now its january until i join up and my life is boring not through my choice, im not thinking straight and is taking the risk worth it? (atm it seems it,but would like an advice from experienced guys like you :) )

Thanks fellas :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Have a go by all means. Take your mobile phone and a first aid kit with you though. Also take a couple of bin liners and a tarp to use as a shelter. You don't need to use it, but in a real emergency it will be useful. First time out I'd take enough food to last the weekend and you can supplement this with wild food you may gather (it's harder than you may think). Also arrange to get picked up again rather than walk the 20 miles back home. If all goes well, next time you can stretch yourself a little more and as you build up experience to go with the knowledge you already have you can leave more and more behind until you feel confident with just a belt kit. I wouldn't jump straight in though. If you have a mishap you could scare yourself silly and be put off. Get some experience first and ease yourself in gently.

Eric

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Always, always, always have an escape route. By all means test your skills but and it's a big but, have the kit with you that you'd need if it all goes belly-up (food, water proofs et.c). You don't have to use the back-up kit but it'll be there if you need it.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
in my belt kit i planned to have a hexi stove a tin of soup and an space blanket JUST INCASE,It wont scare me ive been in hairy situations before and i enjoy the buzz you get its what makes me keep doing it,its just this time i plan to go without a bergen full of luxuries, i spent a night before in between 2 army issue bashas with snugpack,waterproofs and a thermal top in summer and i awake damp and freezing, I just have this feeling something is going to go tits up last time it did i sorted us out but i was full of grub and could down water asif it was terrential rain, i might even cache a jerry can and a few tins of soup or something for my first time out. Basically i just dont want to end up dying but i will never know without taking the risk, we have made the a 20 mile run/speedmarch back before on no food after a few days but it almost killed me lol

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The only way to really know is to do it.

But there is nothing wrong with having a few extra ... supplies ... along. You don't have to use them, but they are then available if needed. That "security" gives a lot of peace of mind. And that makes it easier to continue with your weekend learning experience.

I've done a couple fall weekend Hunt-Or-Starve events - late October or early November. If you want to eat anything, you have to personally hunt it, fish for it, or gather it. Wild parsnip and cattail roots get boring really fast! Jerusalem Artichoke are OK, but you want a lot more - fast. And there are very few berries or grapes left. So you get really serious about hunting squirrels and rabbits. Or catching some of the trout in the stream.

Another thing complicating these weekends is the weather. It can vary from shirt-sleaves during the day to hard frost at night. And if it rains, you're just going to be cold and wet.

Oh, did I mention? We usually do this as a Pack In trip - all you can carry in one trek back into the woods, with all your clothing/gear fitting into the historical time period from 1750 to 1820. So no gortext, no plastic, no nylon, no rubber, no down sleeping bags, etc. etc. etc. Start your fire with flint an steel from local materials. Collect proper firewood, and ENOUGH of it. Gather browse for insulation to sleep on. Construct a lean-to to shed the weather/wind. Get up every 2 hours or so to feed the fire, stretch out the kinks, answer the "call of nature".

It is a true ... learning experience. But worth all the shivers, hunger pangs, and sleepless nights. Once you do it, you feel GREAT - knowing that you REALLY can DO IT!

But we also knew that my house was only a couple hundred yards away - if we really needed it. So that extra "security" was in the back of our minds, and it helped us "enjoy" our whole experience.

So, pack your extra supplies along - just choose not to use them. It removes a lot of worry. Or cache them nearby so you know they are available if needed. But to ... test ... your skills, that's the real purpose. The mental benefits far outweigh any minor or transitory discomfort. Says one who has spent two days dining only on 1/2 a trout (shared with my buddy who caught it!) while huddling around the campfire in rain/sleet while warming freezing toes ---- and laughing our arses off at all the bad jokes we knew or could remember at the time! You remember most of the "good times", but you NEVER forget the "shared misery"!

Have fun, however it goes for you.

Mikey - playing in the woods out my back door - out here in the Hinterlands

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
The last time I got "stranded and in trouble" I was 80 miles as the crow flies in the bush or 150miles by tote road. The first thing I did was get down on my knees and thank Creator for giving the extra few days in the bush, then got up and started back it was grand, I hope that will get lost again soon boy do I need a day off.:lmao:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Basically i just dont want to end up dying but i will never know without taking the risk, we have made the a 20 mile run/speedmarch back before on no food after a few days but it almost killed me lol

Its one thing to test your own skill's, mental endurance etc, its another to be foolhardy and risk take like its a game or soemthing, putting yourself (or possibly other's) into uneceassry danger. I mean why not do a spot of tomb stoning in to the river while your there :lmao:

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Its one thing to test your own skill's, mental endurance etc, its another to be foolhardy and risk take like its a game or soemthing, putting yourself (or possibly other's) into uneceassry danger. I mean why not do a spot of tomb stoning in to the river while your there :lmao:

Theres an Idea,will do! :lmao: :rolleyes: Ive been chattin to my mate, we see it as a calculated risk and are going to cache a jerry can and 2 24 hour rat packs with out sleepin bags/basha etc a few miles away from our camp location, to minimise the risk of "why we doing this when we have all this kit just over there" kinda thing

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to play this kind of game myself - I am still alive and older, wiser(?) and don't do it any more...
I adapted the game for our Scouts, calling it "Survival" and had them spend a W/E at a well known West Wales campsite, or on a local farm (where another leader was cowman and got us perm. to play in the "Set-aside".
Basically they could only use the kit they normally carried for a Scout day hike plus the materials from a crashed helicopter (old wriggly tin shed) nearby (scenario - trip by chopper to remote area, chopper crashes, survive until rescue) or a couple of 'chutes (plane crash) or their Kayaks/canoes if on a river based trip.
Sleeping bags were permitted but only as a last resort and FULL back up kit was stached nearby in case of real disaster.....
The Scouts soon started carrying a good selection of emergency kit in their day packs as a matter of course...
Some of the Scouts are now leaders themselves and running good "backwoods" events themselves.
Although some Scouts went home tired and hungry none suffered any ill efects!
I wonder if I could run such events now!
In the hills of N Wales I used to play the game solo...
John

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have played the game myself on occasion, still alive to tell the tale's. And as long as you've a decent grounding in first aid you can comfortaby starve for a weekend and still make it out none the worse for wear. And in our road bound country it's hard to be to far from civilisation. Surely this sort of adventure is only taking the things that we talk about everyday on the forum to it's logical conclusion? The clothes your wearing and a knife, firesteel and a first aid kit (although this is questionable, most things can be sorted out from nature).
Scrub that, just the clothes your wearing (don't want to get arrested) and a sharp implement, sorted:ban:

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Well i survived -.- need to learn how to do my layers though,layed on a wool blanket pretty thin with a waterproof bottom, had a snugpack on a waterproof thick jacket and a shirt under that, and something on my head was bloody freezing

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Me and my friend are talking about getting dropped off in a wood about 20 miles from us with basic belt kit,etc, there is a stream nearby to boil

1 minute, 1 hour 1 day or 1 month things can go wrong very quickly, let people know your location make sure you have communication or know where you can gain access, take a comprehensive .medi kit unfortunately in hostile environments we were not afforded such luxuries it was down to improvisation we did some E&E up in Otterburn among other training grounds prior to 82 with little or no equipment to speak off and had to remain undetected for weeks things got grim not to mention cold
PS a compass always, it can be a life saver on its own

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Well i survived -.- need to learn how to do my layers though,layed on a wool blanket pretty thin with a waterproof bottom, had a snugpack on a waterproof thick jacket and a shirt under that, and something on my head was bloody freezing

Next time try a hammock and tarp :) if its a relaxing weekend its great you can get a great little campsite together in no time at all

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com

A couple notes to consider:

Insulate yourself from the ground. Contact with the ground will suck heat out of you faster than contact with the air. Even a few handfulls of grass/leaves will help. I know it doesn't sound right, but if you have only one blanket you use it between you and the ground instead of pulling it over yourself.

Try to be warm when you bundle up for the night. Roast a bit by the fire, or do a little exercise.

When you wake up in the middle of the night from the cold (and you will), have a quick high-energy snack to feed the internal engine/fire. I prefer a little chocolate, but that is partially because of the "chocolate therapy" issues - it comforts the soul when you are shivering in the dark! But that little bit of a snack really does perk up your internal engine.

While you are awake at oh-dark-thiry in the morning, releave yourself of any built up internal liquid - whether you really need to or not. It will reduce some of that internal pressures, and will just feel better - leading to a better state of mind - which should promote better rest. And, when dawn finds you, there will be less ... urgency ... to crawl out of your now somewhat warmed up bed. There's few things worse than waking up and lying there enduring the "pressure" as long as you can until forced by nature get up!

Make sure to block any wind from reaching you, or at least from blowing on any exposed skin. That moving air cools you off fast - even a slight draft.

Most of dealing with the cold is in your mental attitude! If you THINK you will be cold, then you WILL be cold! The more you fight it, the worse it will seem. Once you accept that you will be cold, it is easier to mentally move it out of the forefront of you mind. I learned this early while growing up on the farm. There were many times that the weather was BAD, but we still had work/chores to do. Fretting over it just made it worse. So we did our best to just accept that we would get soaked/muddy/froze and got on with getting the work done. So your mental attitude has a lot more to do with your comfort than you might at first think.

Some of this might seem like little things. But those little things start to add up.

And so you have learned and experienced some more of the outdoors with your trip. Then next time will be a little better, as will the next and the next. And when you run into a trip with bad weather/luck, it will be easier to enjoy it still.

Keep up the good work.

Just a few humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
CommandoCal,
A friend and i were thinking the same thing for the October holidays with very simliar circumstances, taking a bcb tin a mora and some emrgency rations,plus a tarp just in case.
Will post how we get on that is if we do.

Lodian

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Glad you had fun :lmao:
Strange how sleeping in a pile of clothes still doesnt come close to a thin sleeping bag, rekon it something to do with your limbs keeping each other warm. Though i do find i wake up sweaty when sleeping in my kit if i'm not cold when i go to sleep, very strange :confused:
Next time take someone your happy cuddling up too, it'll save a few layers :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE