Student dig unearths ancient gum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Saw this on the BBC website and thought it maybe of some interest:-

A 5,000-year-old piece of chewing gum has been discovered by an archaeology student from the University of Derby.

_44068036_gum_pa203.jpg

Birch bark tar has antiseptic properties, scientists say

Sarah Pickin, 23, found the lump of birch bark tar while on a dig in western Finland.

Neolithic people used the material as an antiseptic to treat gum infections, as well as a glue for repairing pots.

Ms Pickin's tutor, Professor Trevor Brown, said: "It's particularly significant because well defined tooth imprints were found on the gum."

He explained: "Birch bark tar contains phenols, which are antiseptic compounds."

Ms Pickin, who was one of five UK students on a volunteer programme at the Kierikki Centre on the west coast of Finland, said: "I was delighted to find the gum and was very excited to learn more about the history."

She added: "I am keen to work in this area in the future so the experience has stood me in good stead."

The archaeology student also found part of an amber ring and a slate arrow head which will be on display at the centre following laboratory analysis.

Link.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
you beat me to it!
I've never plucked up the courage to chew a bit of resin..

:lmao: . I think they have also found chewed up bits of willow bark at previous digs?? Something to do with it's pain killing properties etc. I would have thought it would be very bitter :eek: !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE