"Stuart" - Lost In Action?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Anyone know what Stuart's up to? He used to to some good articles/reviews but I haven't seen him on forum for ages. Assume he's off doing something hardcore somewhere!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I'm still alive

I've just been busy with lots of different projects and loafing about in remote places, so I've not stuck my head in here for quite a while.

He also started this up which seems to have gone quiet as well.

That would be one of the aforementioned projects, though its suffering from my complete lack of computer competence and my not being around enough to maintain it.

'The Independent Adventurers Network' was an idea which came about as a result of numerous requests for information on how to undertake independent expeditions to remote wilderness areas, the many amazing people I keep bumping into in some of the world most remote places who have no contact with each other and the potential for a group of such adventurers to achieve a co-operative critical mass that would afford by mutual association all the benefits of a commercial company or sponsored expedition, without sacrificing their personal independence.

For example Medical training and other expedition skills courses might become more financially accessible if they were block booked by a group.

It might also provide the opportunity for people to experience these adventures vicariously as it were, allowing them to virtually follow and have input in the planning and progress of expeditions, and encouraging them to become involved in future expeditions made possible by the co-operation of its members around the world.

A sort of remote expedition version of 'couch surfing' if you like, I imagine people getting involved until they build a level of mutual trust amongst other members and there exists the possibility that they might invite you to join them in exploring their favourite wilderness the next time they set off. I've invited many of the people I’ve come to know from this forum to join me in the jungles and deserts over the years, with the offer that if they get themselves to the required airport they are welcome to join me at their own risk, some have even taken me up on the offer, perhaps I.A.N would might grow to become a place where members form all over the world regularly invited each other to join them.

It is in all likelihood an unrealistic notion doomed to failure, since it relies on the mutual co-operation and kindness of strangers, but I though it worth a shot, since most of my personal travels are essentially made possible by the kindness of strangers who are apparently delighted to feed and shelter a crazy white guy wandering alone in the jungle/desert despite not speaking a word in common and having no idea where I came from or what I think I’m doing, so humanity in general cant be all that bad.

It’s a bit of a mute point though as the project has stalled at the first hurdle, as I have no idea how to program or maintain a website.

Other than that, I have spent my time growing a beard, which I am sure Wayland will approve of and which has proved useful for keeping the mosquitoes off at least half my face:

Borneo19.jpg

(Edit: For those that have asked, the jungle chair setup in this photo, it was sewn up for me by Mat at UKhammocks)

boreno14-1.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I've been watching I.A.N. with interest because we are trying to get a small Ex. off the ground going to Jokkmokk next year.

Sound like just the sort of thing you had in mind.

Sure is, looks like an interesting trip, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress with an mind meeting you there if I can

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
For those that have asked about the jungle chair setup in the photo, it was sewn up for me by Mat at UKhammocks

Its a very lightweight material (packs down small enough to fit easily into a trouser pocket) with a cordura lined sleeve at one end, you just need to cut suitible poles to set it up, makes for a very comfortable camp

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I live near Kendal and got an email via the.club abt the explorer network. I think it's called that. Sounds like your thing too Stuart. They had local meets and talks. Apparently it's online and they have a handful of local groups. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it and it isn't too close to your project. I like the idea of your site btw. Explorers or adventurers? Kind of similar aims I reckon.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Already gone, I do miss it though

The Penan appear to admire a good display of facial hair, one of the men asked me how many years it had taken me to grow my beard and stared at me with utter disbelief when I said 3 months.

Children did run in terror though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE