Strange Fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Or it just might be that there very common and I have never come across them before. Went out with my youngest this afternoon in our local woods collecting some fatwood and came across a group of three of these at the base of a pine tree.

Anyone any idea's

Jon

Attachments

• bushcraft 001a.JPG
    bushcraft 001a.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 136
  • bushcraft 002a.JPG
    bushcraft 002a.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 128

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Thanks for the input - the photo may not show it but they were growing out of the ground not off the tree itself - would this fit in with a polpore?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Still go the fuzzy route but then I am very new to this mlarkey......when I grow up I will own Roger Phillips mushroom book then all the mushrooms better watch out!
D:approve:

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Cheers for your efforts Dave - really appreciate it. I had a look on the internet myself but unfortunately you cant search by photos. My main source of reference around the house has always been the AA book of the countryside which I have had since being a kid but it not in the fungi section of that either. Let me know what the book is like when you get it.

Cheers again

Jon

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Jon the book is the best available.....well unless you want a field guide( Its not small)
Been on a funghi day recently and looked at the book the photo's are superb and Roger Phiips takes lots of pic's at various stages of development.
Collins gem guides are great field guides and can usually be picked up for a few quid.
D

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Thanks Simon

Yes That certainly looks like the one - the others had similar features but that ticks all the boxes. Is it one that you are familiar with and that you come across often?

Cheers

Jon

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
See a few at work, mainly seen them on or around pines stumps they do grow on conifer roots, its not edible but apparently you can use it for a dye, never tried it though.

I can't remember it's name, I believe it only has a Latin Binomial.

It can be used for tinder if you dry it out so I was told, if you break abit off it has a texture similar to the Trama layer of Tinder/Horse hoof fungus - Fomes fomentarius but not as good.

I had a go with flint and steel but couldn't get sparks to land on it as I only had my knife and a blunt piece of flint which I had picked up, but with a fire steel I reckon it would work.

I will try and find the name.

Edit: Cannot find it, will send some emails.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE