Strange behaviour experienced in forums

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Mods

Since I`ve logged in this evening I`ve had some strange things going on.

Once I`ve logged in on the home page, I usually go to Forums then New Posts. As I log in about four times a day :)27: ) I find this the easiest way to keep track of fresh posts.
Tonight I`ve logged in, having logged out about 14:00 this afternoon, and I`m being told there are 16 pages of unread threads for my perusal in New Posts. That`s the first gripe. But also, once I`ve read a new post and gone back to the forum again, that last thread has disappeared.

I`ve logged out and back in a couple of times but still getting the same results.

Is it just me or are others affected, maybe I`ve been on to long and just need a break :dunno:

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just to help matters, this post didn`t appear in New Posts on my PC until somebody replied to it.

Soz !!

Damn those pesky users :AR15firin :1244:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I came across this message on page 2 or 3 of 16.

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.

Thought I had lost a few days for a while there.....:eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
When I used to go on WAB forums, it would be like this...It was very annoying not being able to see the thread you had just posted, I like to check for speeling mesteaks etc... I hope it ain't gonna stay like this...
When I first logged on this evening, I thought wow, a lot of posts today....I usually only get 3 or 4 pages of new posts, but to see 16.....!!!!!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Me Too! Seems to be a new problem. However, I got a line across the page which indicated that all posts below it were unchanged since I last visited. Thats quite handy. :dunno:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Whats annoying the most is if you go to look at a thread and don't even post, it will still disappear off the new posts list and you can't go back to look at it again until someone else posts on it....
I reckon admin are trying a new format, rather than this being a site problem..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve noticed that if you go into any forum e.g Kit Chatter, then every thread ever posted in there is now marked as unread (in bold type)

Also I can see in the display options box at the bottom of the screen, it now lists from Beginning rather than Last Week.

Not tried changing this back to Last Week yet but I wouldn`t think it would help the separate New Posts issue.

(not having whinge by the way just thought it would help with the troubleshooting)

Rich

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Mine seens to be ok...... Only joking, posts in my user cp are disappearing and they are highlighted like when there has been new posts but I have already read them.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Yes, same here.

Its keeping track of what threads you havent read, rather than whats new. As a temp measure you can mark all posts as read, by scrolling to the bottom of the forums and clicking "mark forums read".

Tony, please PLEASE remove the "Unread posts" from the New posts search . 16 pages of search returns for new posts is crazy. They are unread for a reason, and i'd rather not have to see them. Perhaps two button's "New Posts since last visit" and "unread posts" to suit different people's viewing habits?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tony, please remove the "Unread posts" from the New posts search . 16 pages of search returns for new posts is crazy. They are unread for a reason, and i'd rather not have to see them. Perhaps two button's "New Posts since last visit" and "unread posts"?

Andy

I don`t think they are all necessarily "unread posts" because I`m sure I`ve looked at some of them previously. It`s the disappearing bit which is annoying.

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just bumping this one again

Is there a problem admin ?? or shall we just get used to the new format ???

Rich

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Im sure the guys are onto it, remember its a computer at the end of the and they are the work of the bielzibub him self !

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Tony, please remove the "Unread posts" from the New posts search . 16 pages of search returns for new posts is crazy. They are unread for a reason, and i'd rather not have to see them. Perhaps two button's "New Posts since last visit" and "unread posts"?

Andy

I don`t think they are all necessarily "unread posts" because I`m sure I`ve looked at some of them previously. It`s the disappearing bit which is annoying.

Rich

:BlueTeamE
Sorry Rich, hate to disagree but thats exactly what they are. The new posts search has been changed to display unread posts. Just because you have looked at the thread previously does not mean you have read every post in them. ;)

This is why they also disappear after you read them. Because they have then been read.

Likewise...I doubt anyone is "looking into it" because this isn't a problem its a modification. Not a very good one in my books though :(

Please Tony, change it back!!!!! :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, how to create a long thread in just two short clicks:lmao: I did make some changes yesterday, although i'd not meant to do this to you :D I'll retrace my steps and get it fixed...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE