Straightening a bowed stick/staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As for spoke shaves, I have two made by Samona (South Korea). Fantastic blade steel was the reason to buy a second one.
The design with the two adjustment thumb screws beats the Hello out of a hammer-set, like a Stanley 51 (POS).

I used to carve spoons and forks. I have pulled those spoke shaves more than a mile in birch.
Bevel angle is 28 degrees. 800 then 1200 grit then hone a little on a strop and they sing in the wood.
I set one for thick and the other for finish thin cuts. Maybe $16.00 each in the local village hardware store.

Cracking. I'm convinced it depends on wood species. I have never, ever, seen a length of apple
which was not cracked, end-to-end, bark on or not.

Concussion = sense of balance phuqued.
Must walk with a cane so I pay far more attention to such things than I ever did.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
As for spoke shaves, I have two made by Samona (South Korea). Fantastic blade steel was the reason to buy a second one.
The design with the two adjustment thumb screws beats the Hello out of a hammer-set, like a Stanley 51 (POS).

I used to carve spoons and forks. I have pulled those spoke shaves more than a mile in birch.
Bevel angle is 28 degrees. 800 then 1200 grit then hone a little on a strop and they sing in the wood.
I set one for thick and the other for finish thin cuts. Maybe $16.00 each in the local village hardware store.

Cracking. I'm convinced it depends on wood species. I have never, ever, seen a length of apple
which was not cracked, end-to-end, bark on or not.

Concussion = sense of balance phuqued.
Must walk with a cane so I pay far more attention to such things than I ever did.

I wasnt expecting it to crack, i dried it slowly in the shed, the crack started at one end and went almost halfway, and opened up by about 1/4inch.
Must have cut it at the wrong time, this hazel i have now i cut in the winter, and its hard as iron now its seasoned for a year.
Going to make a leather hand grip for it i think

Reactions: Robson Valley

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi Mr Ed, you have made a fine job of getting that stick to where you want it. difficult to find a perfectly straight stick in nature without a bit of manipulation. maybe have a look at Blackthorn, can be found relatively straight with interesting features when the thorns are rubbed down, can be worked from green too. :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
hi Mr Ed, you have made a fine job of getting that stick to where you want it. difficult to find a perfectly straight stick in nature without a bit of manipulation. maybe have a look at Blackthorn, can be found relatively straight with interesting features when the thorns are rubbed down, can be worked from green too. :)

Thanks :) I have made a leather hand grip at the top, and have attempted to burn a snake motif into it (I am a nurse so thought that a staff with a snake in it was appropriate) never pyro’d anything before so it will likely not come out amazing lol!

Will check out blackthorn, thanks, I also have a piece of holly seasoning :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd walk with that one. The dog legs are the very best conversation starters.
As much as I'd like to burn my diamond willow cane.
But with a poor sense of balance now, walking with a cane really takes the edge off my unsteady pace.

In my village, fancy canes go for $70.00 and with a senior's (+65) discount is $50.00 Divide by 1.7 to see BPS.

Reactions: woodspirits

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
But with a poor sense of balance now, walking with a cane really takes the edge off my unsteady pace.

In my village, fancy canes go for $70.00 and with a senior's (+65) discount is $50.00 Divide by 1.7 to see BPS.

Cost was what initially spurred me on to make my own!

A friend lent me some walking poles, and although they were good, they just weren’t my style - I have 2 fused ankles and struggle uneven ground or up and down hills and a stick is an enormous help

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com

not wishing to derail Mr Ed's great thread any further, I will quickly add not everyone wants a broom stale. this went to a lady in NY who like you needed extra stability, despite the shape it was very strong made from Blackthorn root and as tough as... those prices you quoted are very fair.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Cost was what initially spurred me on to make my own!

A friend lent me some walking poles, and although they were good, they just weren’t my style - I have 2 fused ankles and struggle uneven ground or up and down hills and a stick is an enormous help

a brilliant idea to make your own and then personalise it, so much better no matter the outcome to a bought item. don't forget to post up the finished work! :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I hear you all. Never dreamt that I need to walk with a cane but a concussion changed all that in a second.
The big deal with mine is that the topper is a great bun of a piece some 2" wide.
Big and soft to lean on. Hospital canes are skinny and they bite into old hands.

I could sell mine just about every time I go out.
Thinking I should buy 5 more for just that reason and make some $$$.
The builder told me that he's about finished another 25 canes,
I must go look and maybe buy a couple more, just for variety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE