Storm Damage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I wouldn’t be surprised if that would survive propping and hard pruning to reduce the amount of water the tree needs because of the root loss.

For many years we had an old blown tree that continued to produce good apples. We didn’t know the variety so always called it the “The Lying Down Tree”.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Broch ? we cut an apple tree down to a three foot stump, and it regrew quite happily. They coppice surprisingly well.

I'd take the top hamper off that and I wouldn't be surprised if it sprung back upright, so be careful as you release the tension on the roots.
Stabilise the whole thing once you get the stump upright again, and it'll bud new shoots come Spring.

Shame to see what looks like a pretty, and productive tree die.

If it's on a dwarf rootstock, mind and cut above the joint though or it'll revert to the crab.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I agree; I'd like to give it a chance. It's not on rootstock so should come good however far down I decide to cut it. the problem will be making it secure once it's back up. I can't stake it to the left of the picture because that's the track to the wood. The apples are nearly ready to come off anyway so I'll wait till we've cropped them and the leaves have fallen before I do anything.

I've felled quite large windblown larches; it's quite exhilarating when the root bowl bounces back up with you on it :)

Reactions: Toddy

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If the apples are tasty you should try and save it. What about a hard pruning ( lessens weight of crown, rightening it and propping it up from the ’right of the picture’ using an A frame?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's a Bramley; beautiful cookers, big apples.
Yep, I've got to do something with it. I've got some big poles coppiced out of an old haze wood that may make a suitable frame.
The immediate problem is the poor dog is not used to it being there and keeps running into it!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
if its by the track, use a vehicle to gently pull it upright, and brace it using a Y stake or 2 on the downward slope, like they use for supporting large limbs on veteran trees. it may be enough, but it depends on the state of the whats left of the roots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree; I'd like to give it a chance. It's not on rootstock so should come good however far down I decide to cut it. the problem will be making it secure once it's back up. I can't stake it to the left of the picture because that's the track to the wood. The apples are nearly ready to come off anyway so I'll wait till we've cropped them and the leaves have fallen before I do anything.

I've felled quite large windblown larches; it's quite exhilarating when the root bowl bounces back up with you on it :)

Sorry Broch :eek: teaching you to suck eggs there.
Funny isn't it how dogs kind of forget to 'look' when they're busy sniffing, or on a familiar route, isn't it ?

p.s. I have no idea what that wee smilie thinks it is, I typed in the code for the old blush/shame one :dunno:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry Broch :eek: teaching you to suck eggs there.
Funny isn't it how dogs kind of forget to 'look' when they're busy sniffing, or on a familiar route, isn't it ?

p.s. I have no idea what that wee smilie thinks it is, I typed in the code for the old blush/shame one :dunno:

No need to apologise, I think it's always best to assume people need cautionary advice rather than the other way around. I only mentioned the larch felling because I think it's quite a cool feeling when it thumps back down (with all necessary caution of course :) )

I don't know, maybe 'aghast'? I quite like it though :)

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just thought I'd post an update :)

Here's the tree a year later with this year's growth on it; not pretty I know but better than losing it. As soon as the leaves fall I'll reduce the number of branches a little. I wouldn't be surprised if we have apples on it next summer :)

PB080001 - 2 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My apple tree grown in a pot managed to grow through the pot and root itself in the ground. I chopped it down and left the pot in a corner of the garden. The root is now a six foot high tree.. no apples as yet. And the stump left in the pot produced twelve lovely apples this year. The stump is only about a foot high.:dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE