Stoney Creek Stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I saw this advertised in a shooting mag today.

http://www.stoneycreek.co.uk/

They're from NZ so perhaps their gear is along the same lines a Swanni but they claim to be waterproof aswell. :-D

Has anyone come accross this stuff before and what do you think ?

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's April's issue of Shooting Sports.

It's not a proper review as such, just a mention really but I thought it might appeal...

Cheers

Mark

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Says its polartec rather than wool though which puts them below Swanni's in my mind, pity as otherwise it looks really nice kit.
David

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Being a synthetic fabric it doesnt handle embers from the fire aswell as wool. It tends to melt. Heat from a fire can be a big problem if you get too close.... again it will start to melt. No problems like that with 100% wool.

:)
Ed

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think it will be the sparks from fires. Polyester pile melts, wool doesn't. I have also heard arguements that wool will stay warm when damp, but that the fast drying Polartec can let you get cold if it is wet. Dunno about that, whether it is better to be damp and warm(ish) for a long time, or wet and possibly cold for a short time while you dry out.

In Ray Mear's first book he praised fleece as warm and hard wearing. Personally I have both wool and fleece cloths, they are good at different things, I wouldn't want to come out and say one was better overall than the other. One thing though, I have found that Polartec from Malden Mills is better (tougher, dries faster, better loft) than some other polyester fleece materials.

Chris

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep
for me its the fire thing, nothing against polartec, in fact i've got a polartec fleece on now as my office is freezing, just not best suited to bushcrafty stuff in my view.
David

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would love to have a Swandri type wool garment, but I have a considerable collection of outdoor clothes already and can't justify it until I have burned holes :roll: ....err....worn out :lol: my fleece collection!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE