stones, knapping or history? a day with Karl Lee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Well all 3.

The South Wales Bushcrafters this weekend held a flint knapping workshop as part of a 3 day meet. The training was provided by karl Lee a professional flint knapper and a highly knowledgeable archaeologist
http://www.primitive-technology.co.uk/aboutkarl.htm

The weather was as good as the instruction, Karls blend of demonstration, practical exercises and history lessons fused to make what I’m sure will be a memorable day for all those who attended.

IMG_0245.JPG

photo

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

By the end of the day everyone (ages spanning from 10 to past it ) had made good examples of scrapers, used a core to make a variety of cutting edges and arrow head and pressure flaked a leaf shaped arrow head.

IMG_0241.JPG

After a good nights sleep the rest of the weekend was spent tapping birch, cordage making with honeysuckle, arrow making, spear and atlatl throwing, bow making and some shelter building for good measure.

IMG_0282.JPG

photo

IMG_0288.JPG

photo

Id highly recommend Karls instruction if our looking at starting knapping for the first time and also interested in the history and context of the skills.

IMG_0279.JPG

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It was a great weekend and thanks again to John, Will and Stu for organising things goodjob Also thanks to Karl for his stunning knapping class.
Would be great to see you lot "up north" soon and ill bring some proper wood fer bows.

Oh and thats a low blow to post a pic of a lilly white northerner :eek:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'm gutted I couldn't make it.I'd been looking forward to it for ages.Glad you all had a great time and I look forward to the next meet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You sayin' that Oim past it lad?
I have already tried making some more stuff - but so far only turned out a couple of pieces of dangerous gravel...I feel the need for a piece of quality flint to work on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE