stone or glass bearing block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I had some top results with stone and glass bearing blocks it makes it a hell of a lot easyer for a glass bearing block I heat up a bottel on the fire and the glass pits and it makes a top bearing block. give it a try just stay well back when the glass is on the fire. I get an ember evey time now :D

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
A bearing block is the part of a bow drill you push down on.

I saw on another forum, a guy had good results using a magnesium bar as a bearing block. He did it as a backup as the flint part can come loose.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
jason sears said:
I had some top results with stone and glass bearing blocks it makes it a hell of a lot easyer for a glass bearing block I heat up a bottel on the fire and the glass pits and it makes a top bearing block. give it a try just stay well back when the glass is on the fire. I get an ember evey time now :D
Any chance of a photo, not quite able to picture it, but glass does sound a good idea. I used the corner of the swedish cookset frying pan as a bearing block, worked well enough and very little wear to the top of the drill.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've used stone ones for a while, just use a masonry bit to drill a dent. Then drop sand in it and use a handdrill (mullein works good) to turn the sand around and around until it polishes it smooth.

Now I carry a moose ankle. Socket is smooth and premade. :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I found a few pebbles on the beach with holes in them, they work well.....
I like the idea about polishing them, good one...

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
An efficient bearing block can make life so much easier. When Garrick of the Forest Knights taught me bow drill he had a rather fetching lump of polished marble.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Dave Budd said:
A friend of mine says the secret to his success is the limpet shell that he uses as a bearing block

Has he set this in something (like a block of wood for example) or does he just use the shell on its own? I didn't think a limpet shell would be strong enough... :confused:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
dommyracer said:
Has he set this in something (like a block of wood for example) or does he just use the shell on its own? I didn't think a limpet shell would be strong enough... :confused:
Bet it would warm up your hand pretty quick too.....

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
dommyracer said:

They are strong enough but can heat up eventually. I think two on top of each other would reduce the built up of heat (but I only have one so I can't confirm this)

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE