Stockmans coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's still a bit early over here in the Colonies, but have been trying to keep up. So the need for an agreeable stockmans coat has given rise to the image of wet cowboy with a 48" bust line wearing chaps and standing in the doorway of the Blue Oyster Bar?

Haggis, some day you have to get to a Moot :D :D

Mary

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...what about a poncho?..."

Another vote for a poncho, however if you to lift and carry things maybe not so much, I often wear my 58 poncho atop my Swanndri Bushshirt, that can work. I don't worry about leggings so much as I wear shorts for ten months of the year and waterproof the top of my boots with bits of cut up rubble bag tucked into my socks and pulled down over the boot top.

I have used Barbour jackets, usually bum length ones and those were used for 'country/farm' type activities, A long time ago I had one of their trench coats which was extremely comfy and kept me dry in windy and wet Edinburgh winters.

The Barbour stockman type coats may well be worth a look, you can often find cheap ones in various states on ebay, so you could try out an old ragged one before you fork out for one that is new.

You could also look at something like this which looks like it would do the trick (at a price).

Swedteam Anorak Titan Pro
heEfUQI.jpg

Let s know how you get on.

:)

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Seadog - if you are interested in a Drizabone stockmans, I have one, and I could be persuaded to let it go - let me know via PM.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have to say that i really like my Drizabone, (i went for the short coat) seems to do what it is supposed to, rolls up reasonably small. If i wear this one out i will certainly buy another one.

Louis

ps. i gave these guys a ring to discuss sizing and they were most helpful. http://www.drizaboneclothing.co.uk/

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I use the 3/4 length Drizabone, I cut the cotton lining out, keeps sweating and weight down, and wear over wool in the woods in the wet.
Found little to compare for all round , no nonsense ruggedness.

Best.

C.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've had a full length dizabone for years but to be honest I hardly ever wear it....maybe three or four times a year it comes out when I'm taking the dog for a walk and it's really hoofing down. I do like it but for some reason I just don't wear it much. I'd get rid of it but I have two young boys who who will no doubt get into rugby or if they have to football when they are older and then I'll need it to stand on the sidelines watching in the pouring rain lol :)

To be fair to the coat, it has never ever let me down in the worst rain and storms I've been out in but I don't find it suitable for working in, hiking in or bushcrafting in....it's only really good for dog walking and standing in the rain (and I suppose riding horses in the rain as it was designed for but I've never done in it). I wear it with the matching hat which I have worn a lot and rep proofed three times.

In hindsight I probably wouldn't buy one if I didn't have this one already but as I am a bit of a hoarder I shall keep it anyway lol

Hope that helps :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Mine has had a huge amount of use in the 14yrs that I've had it, mostly for dog walking. However it now lives in my van & I use it in my job as a gardener, its ideal when I have to grass cut in the rain.

Rob

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It was me that said Drizabone aren't waterproof in sustained rain.

Ponchos are good. There is a reason why security personnel use them at festivals.

What sort of work will you be doing?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It was me that said Drizabone aren't waterproof in sustained rain.

Mine is......or to be fair, has been so far :) If I say I use it 4 times a year for about 10 years then to be fair mine has only been used approx. 40 times, in those 40 times it has been minging rain and it's kept me dry but I'm willing to accept that the waterproofing my decline with further use (this certainly happened with the hat hence rep roofing three times so far)....lol....I bow to your longer term knowledge :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE