Stockmans coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
OK to cut long story short I am probably going to end up standing around outdoors for long periods of time irrespective of the weather this winter. I have also recently put on weight so a lot of my outdoor coats don't fit.

This is for work so olive etc OK but DPM camo not really suitable.

I was thinking of going for long stock-mans coat - as in really wet weather this with pair of wellingtons get round the short coat dumping onto trousers problem. I don't get on with over-trousers and any way am struggling to find any that will fit.

I am around 52" chest even before thick fleece, shirt etc.

From web (local stockists rubbish) Driazabone original stockmans is big enough, not sure about Barbour. Tried a cheap and cheerful in Skipton market but the largest size XXL would only go on over shirt but not fleece

Quick question - anyone have any feedback on either the Barbour or Driazabone? I think I remember something somewhere to the effect that the Driazabone proofing was not up to much - but I may have imagined it.

Given these are not cheap would really value any feedback

thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Barbour's good, and they'll rewax them for you, Driazabone I found to be draughty and the overshoulders cape flapped around a lot. Other folks love them though.
There are other options, the big Mill shops with all the stores inside have 'country' outdoor kit, and I found jackets that fitted me there (48" bust line, so I know what you mean about the XXL not being big enough in the right places)

I think my advice though would be to save your pennies (well, pounds) and speak to one of the Makers on here, and they'll make you one that's made to measure and it won't have sleeves to your knees or pockets angled to catch the rain.

Ian, (bilmo p-5) makes this kind of kit for folks, or speak with John Fenna for design help......lots of options you might not think of until someone describes them for you.

Best of luck with it,
Toddy

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got two drizabone coats. (Presents from my sister who lives in oz) tbh I don't wear either of them, I don't find them great for anything really

what about a poncho?....ultimate standing around in the cold and wet garment for me.
As for overtrousers, have you thought of chaps?. I run too hot for a full trouser unless its damn cold and find chaps perfick with a thigh length coat and wellies

Just had a little tot up in my head. I promise i'v never been in the blue oyster bar but I do own six pairs of chaps, incuding one leather pair lol

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What can I say?, chaps offer a sense of freedom and level of ventilation that a full trouser just cannot match :cool: ;)

lets see
1 pair of waxed chaps, keepering throwback
2 pair waterproofs, for work
1 pair chainsaw, well, for chainsawing
1 pair very lightweight nylon, backpacking gear
1 pair leather, I is greasy biker, long hair and beard come as standard lol

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
Personally, I swear by Campbell Cooper. I have this Stockman jacket (54" chest, usually with a T-shirt and 'lumberjack' shirt), a Hunter jacket, a motorcycle jacket, and a 'shooter' jacket by them. I consider them priced well below their quality. Made in England, friendly customer service etc.

I re-coat them with bog-standard Nikwax stuff.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I'm not keen on overtrousers either. I've a Barbour stockmans coat bought from someone on here and its brill - totally dry when wearing wellies. Not sure about larger sizes, but I wear a fleece underneath, sometimes a waterproof one if its really really wet. (I'm a 42 chest). The Barbour will become wet through (eventually) and can take a while to dry. They are straightforward to re-proof or Barbour do a good reasonably priced service.I wouldn't buy a new one - they are vastly over-priced in my opinion. The Campbell Cooper ones might be a good alternative or look on vintage clothing stores on Ebay. The Barbour factory shop is supposed to be very good.
I use it for walking the dogs and mooching about in the wet.

I've tried a nylon waterproof stockmans coat by Target Dry before I got the Barbour. It was great - warm, really waterproof, and dried quickly. Had to put some velcro on the corners of the back cape to keep it place in windy conditions.For some reason I couldn't get on with it - nothing wrong with the coat, just me. Passed it on to a mate who loves it.

If you are going to be out for successive days the Target Dry type might be the better bet in terms of keeping dry and for drying the coat itself more quickly.

I'm totally sold on the long coat to keep dry. I've also recently got a Sea to Summit poncho and thats good too - not tried on a wet windy day yet - think it might be not great in those conditions.
Hope this helps

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Backhouse stockman coats are a generous size, & when the stockmans became fashionable among the sloan rangers, it caught barbour on the hop, so they imported the backhouse ones(from NZ) to supplement their range. The quality is excellent, better than the drizabone I have. I'm told that barbour now own backhouse.

Rob

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've not found a wax proof that is fully waterproof in heavy prolonged rain. IMO all fail much sooner than goretex or similar
I wear a modern coat with tregins so I can sit on wet logs but still have the ventilation benefits of chaps

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've worn both - the Barbour is a great all round bum length jacket - but can be warm and heavy. The Drizabone stockman is more of a shell and thigh, knee or calf length depending on the model. I like both in their place but still have a Drizabone - I don't have a Barbour any more.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say that I used (and still use) a Backhouse Stockman jacket. They're a NZ firm owned by Barbour. No padding, comes down to my ankles and I've never been wet in it. It's pretty capacious and have even used it as a shelter. It fitted me even when I was very, very large even with big thick sweaters on. I found that a Tilley hat, Stockman and a set of wellies/boots and I could stand out all day in bad weather and never get wet. And when open in the wind you get that cowboy standing in the doorway in a storm look - very cool! :eek: As for proofing I just used the Nikwax coloured pump spray wax and it came up a treat.

Haggis

Nomad
It's still a bit early over here in the Colonies, but have been trying to keep up. So the need for an agreeable stockmans coat has given rise to the image of wet cowboy with a 48" bust line wearing chaps and standing in the doorway of the Blue Oyster Bar?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's still a bit early over here in the Colonies, but have been trying to keep up. So the need for an agreeable stockmans coat has given rise to the image of wet cowboy with a 48" bust line wearing chaps and standing in the doorway of the Blue Oyster Bar?
And yodeling, he has to be yodeling:lmao:
ymca.gif

[video=youtube;HajY_r6RNy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HajY_r6RNy0[/video]

racer66

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
london
I'm pretty sure my stockmans coat was from Scats, and is horsewear of ireland. Very good long coat I wear when out doing spare of the moment cctv jobs in all weather, good sizing too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE