Stetson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks,
I was convinced to get a Stetson by Dogwood a couple weeks ago and it arrived today! They need little introduction...
stetson1.jpg

But for anyone unfamiliar, Stetson is the legendary American hat maker, from the first cowboy hats in the 1800s.

stetson2.jpg

...with my ugly mug beneath it. The model is Blackfoot.

stetson3.jpg

Detail of the crease.

stetson4.jpg

stetson5.jpg

There isn't a hatband as such - just the stampede strings, though it's decorated at the front.

stetson6.jpg

The strings have a single bead and a knot - easily adjustable. I don't normally like stampede strings but this one's all right.

The felt is very springy, I haven't done much in the way of testing its crushability but it's bounced back just fine so far. Similarly I haven't drenched it, though I filled the dip on the top with water and it held it without getting soaked and was bone dry inside. It's much tougher feeling than other felt hats I've handled.

Nice hat though! Nice change from my Aussie hat. I bought from the US, a seller called Ram Hats with whom I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer; cost including shipping to the UK (flat UK postage fee of $20) was a bit under £50, and I for whatever reason didn't get hit with a customs charge.

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Now that's a proper hat. Suits you too.
Thanks bud!

Did it come with a cap gun and a sherifs badge?

Red
Well I could do without the cap gun but wouldn't say no to the badge.

Harsh there. Looks good and does indeed suit you. I have something of a hat fetish and this appears to be an empty hook on my hatstand.
Thanks mate! They do make nice hats, would be well worth a looksee - I heard claims from a UK retailer though that Stetson have stopped distributing internationally, so it might be difficult to find one outside the US.

Howdy,

it looks similar to the hat Russell Crowe Was wearing in the movie 3:10 to Yuma... Twas on sky movies the other night....
Just wikipedia'd it, sounds like it might be worth a watch. Though few westerns without Clint Eastwood have impressed me! What'd you think?

Pete

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Just wikipedia'd it, sounds like it might be worth a watch. Though few westerns without Clint Eastwood have impressed me! What'd you think?

Pete

I enjoyed it, it's not a film that you think well that's a life changing experience but it is enjoyable. Plus I do like both Russell Crowe and Christian Bale... It has a low bushcraft content but a high western hat content...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I enjoyed it, it's not a film that you think well that's a life changing experience but it is enjoyable. Plus I do like both Russell Crowe and Christian Bale... It has a low bushcraft content but a high western hat content...

Have to say while I wouldn't think of them as my favorite actors, I've never seen either of them in a movie I didn't enjoy. Will try and catch it!

Cheers
Pete

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Nice hat. You'll be needing a horse.

3-10_to_Yuma-07.jpg

Good movie, incredible lanscape. I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it so click off.
AstronautFarmerPhoto.jpg

Not exactly a great film, but you may notice these hills in the background of several movies. Look closely in 3:10 to Yuma, it's all New Mex.
Now, Arizona has some amazing landscape as well but their govenor doesn't kiss up to Hollywood and so few films are actually shot there.

Silverado, not a bad movie even with Cosner in it. The snow capped peaks in the background is where my avatar image was taken.
184692-silverado_slide.jpg

No Country for Old Men. That's right, it's(you're) not from Texas.
12incentives_span.jpg

I'm off to Mary's for a few. Any y'all bushcrafters o'er yonder can join me if'n you wish, I think she closes up early, I'd better shuffle on.
mary%27s+bar.jpg

Films shot in New Mexico, some of them are good, some.... not so much.
http://www.nmfilm.com/filming/filmography/index.php

more words here,
http://nmfilmmuseum.org/history/nmfilm.php

Sorry to clog up your thread there Draven. Westerns, New Mexico, Westerns filmed in New Mexico; it's going to happen.:D

cerrillos.jpg

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Nice hat mate.

Though few westerns without Clint Eastwood have impressed me! What'd you think?

If'n you can, watch the Lonesome Dove miniseries -- Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall play two retired Texas Rangers. Realistic and gripping. (It's on YouTube I think.)

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Jolly nice hat! i fancy a felt hat myself, just don't know if i could take the itching! :D

Decent felts don't itch as the only bit that touches the head is the (usually) leather hat band.

I have a few Akubras and Stetson fedoras. The only Western/Australian style hat I have is an Akubra Stockman. Much prefer the fedora style.

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
I have to say I like the Stetson! Got an Akubra as a present last year to add to my Tilley and Rogue hats, seems a Stetson is the next logical step and it's my Birthday soon. ;)

Graeme

P.S. browsed the stetson site and like that fedora.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Stuck in movie mode:).

Plenty of hats and a clip here that gives me goosebumps to this day. I saw "The Man From Snowy River" in the theatres. I was 13 and for the next 3 years I tried in vain to get my dad to move us down under.

Absolutely world class riding, one of the best scenes ever shot on film.
The Descent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBXLYJwgt4

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks folks!

Jolly nice hat! i fancy a felt hat myself, just don't know if i could take the itching! :D
I wouldn't worry about that! The sweatband is dri-lex, some fancy moisture wicking synthetic mumbo jumbo - no idea how good it is at that, but it's plenty comfortable!

Nice hat mate.

If'n you can, watch the Lonesome Dove miniseries -- Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall play two retired Texas Rangers. Realistic and gripping. (It's on YouTube I think.)
Will do, thanks for that bud!

Stuck in movie mode:).

Plenty of hats and a clip here that gives me goosebumps to this day. I saw "The Man From Snowy River" in the theatres. I was 13 and for the next 3 years I tried in vain to get my dad to move us down under.

Absolutely world class riding, one of the best scenes ever shot on film.
The Descent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBXLYJwgt4
That is a pretty awesome scene! I'll need to head out your way when I'm back stateside, it's a beautiful state I'll just have to make sure my brain doesn't fry :p

Pete

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
That is a pretty awesome scene! I'll need to head out your way when I'm back stateside, it's a beautiful state I'll just have to make sure my brain doesn't fry :p

That's what the hat's for.:christmas1:

One more pretty darn good Hat movie is "The Long Riders", 1980. It's about the James-Younger gang out of Missouri. Stars James and Stacy Keache as the James brothers. David, Keith, and Robert Carradine as the Younger brothers. Randy and Dennis Quaid as the Miller brothers and Christopher and Nicolas Guest as the Ford brothers. That's some good casting. The events portrayed in this film are historically accurate and pretty much everyone is wearing a hat.:p

This clip from The Long Riders shows some more intense riding, and hats of course (2:30 vid)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0MlCjzJak&hl=en#

This is Belle Star. She rode with the James-Youngers on occasion, was an outlaw, died by the gun, and wore hats. It's not just a guy-thing.
bstarr.jpg
BelleStarrFullWikipedia.jpg

Cole, Jesse, Bob, and Frank wearing hats.;)
ColeJesseBobFrank.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Bravo4, that looks like a cool movie! I'm impressed, the 80s isn't my favourite decade for much :p
Those pictures lead me to a question - why do some folk seem to turn the brim of their hat so high? Was it one of those things that people did specifically for pictures so their face wasn't shaded, or perhaps indoors to get a better field of view? Cause it seems that the brim won't do much to shade your face if it's turned up :confused: It's suddenly occurred to me that it's a bit of a funny question though :p

Klenchblaize - I don't think so... might be time for one though!

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
"The Long Riders" may seem quite dated but the film was in many ways cutting edge ay the time.
Those pictures lead me to a question - why do some folk seem to turn the brim of their hat so high? Was it one of those things that people did specifically for pictures so their face wasn't shaded, or perhaps indoors to get a better field of view?

Never crossed my mind before but I suppose you are correct about not shading the face for photographs. I can imagine a somewhat nervous photographer asking them to tilt their hats back. Could just be a style thing or the sun was on their backs:dunno:. I can also imagine a hundred years from now someone asking, "Why did they wear their baseball caps sideways?":p

Bravo4, 1975. Barefoot with a ball cap, sideways and way tilted.:christmas1:
0000042.jpg

Sperry Steele and ten gallon shading her face. Now that's a hat!

horsefannie.jpg

fannieshotting.jpg

Fannie Steele, sharpshooter. Dude waiting for a light, hat tilted to provide shade for his neck.;)

This guy gets to wear his hat any way he likes.
Great_train_robbery_still.jpg

Check it out, he's wearing a polka dot "shemagh".:lmao:

cowboy1a.jpg

A very short article on cowboy attire from Cowboy Bob.
http://www.lemen.com/qa90.html
An interesting explanation of why chimney-sweeps wore top hats and tuxedos.

Hat thread sounds good. Looking out for a decent sombrero myself. That's meant to be funny but it occurs to me that Vaqueros pre-date Cowboys in the Old West by a couple hundred years. Imagine living outdoors for months at a time, nothing but blazing sun all day long. Day after day not a single cloud in the sky. Huge hat/shelter starts to make sense.
These guys were soldiers but good example of the wide brimmed hat and blanket wrap, guy on far right. 2nd guy from the right is a rookie.
banditos.jpg

Good_Bad_Ugly.jpg

Awesome hat movie.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
:lmao: I always wore my cap frontways when I was a youngn, but I haven't worn one in about 10 years now! I didn't even really think that it might be a fashion thing tbh.

I don't know about you, but I think I'd rather quit smoking than get a light from a rifle :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE