Step for those short of stature.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Ok hive mind and black belt google warriors I’m looking for a folding light weight back packable step I can strap to a tree.

I need to get my hammock and tarp straps higher.

At my reach my hammock is on the deck.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Ok hive mind and black belt google warriors I’m looking for a folding light weight back packable step I can strap to a tree.

I need to get my hammock and tarp straps higher.

At my reach my hammock is on the deck.
Have you thought of coming at this from another angle?, what about a hand litter picker ? Very lightweight and will extend your reach by about 75cm.

Reactions: Nice65

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Use a webbing ratchet strap around a tree about a foot off the ground and hook one of these under it to give yourself extra reach.
Lightweight (aluminium) comes in a nylon case/cover, about back pocket size.
Other advantage is, if you have a vehicle with a roof rack, the gizmo will be dual purpose.

Amazon.co.uk.... car door step up

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Carry a 1.5 meter of sturdy rope ( that can take your weight) and make a ‘step’ by looping it around the tree, then making a loop. Put your foot in loop and step up.
Not sure the name of this technique.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I use two expanding poles to lift the ridge line up another foot or two, after loosely tieing to tree. That way I can get a tarp I can walk under easy. Carrying poles to site can be a pain but the joy of freely walking under my tarp is so worth it.
Remember to hoist the ridge line before tieing down the guy lines.
As for the hammock I have always set my DD at much tighter then the 30 degree often quoted. I have to have the straps much higher with my Easy Hammock but still doable without my bottom hitting the deck. The built in fixed ridge line sorts out the "lay" of the hammock. If the hammock should hang too close to the ground, i.e. 18 inchs, make use of a ground sheet to reduce the cold damp of the ground being felt.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have you thought of coming at this from another angle?, what about a hand litter picker ? Very lightweight and will extend your reach by about 75cm.

I like your thinking, a stick is even simpler to push your rope or cord up, but only if you have a ridgeline knot that can be pulled tight from the ground. Mine usually involves a paracord round turn and locking off with a half hitch and then slippy hitch so it can only tied while able to reach it. A couple of times when on a slope and one side needs to go up higher, then tape strops and a carabiner are really easy to position and release with a stick.

Tie a rope step to the tree or use a stick/walking pole to push the straps up higher

The rope step is a good idea, many a time I’ve balanced a log against the tree to get some reach, it’s not ideal. Even a long loop of paracord around the tree could be used to hook a toe into get a step up.

A loop of cord or strap, a carabiner, and a thumb-stick/staff couldn’t be simpler.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE