steel toe caps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
SWMBO is looking for some steel toe capped boots, they need to be pretty damn hardwearing (the last pair lasted 5 days), waterproof, and comfortable enough to walk in. oh, and cheap! girly feet (size 5) she'll be using them outside in all weathers.

any suggestions?

cheers

stuart

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Scruffs, I use them, worn everyday and I get about a year out of them. I am a tradesman and they do take some stick!
not bad looking and cheap too (as are the boots!)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
german para boots i had a set when i was 15 they had steel heals and toes my old man still uses them 20 years on

we tried finding some british army steely's but failed, "task force" boots (as worn by the police) was another option we looked at but they were a little pricey. german para's may be an option, any ideas where we could get some? the local army surplus place (anchor supplies) doesn't stock them.

cheers

stuart

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I wear these at work. I was paddling around in puddles ankle deep today and they kept my feet dry and toasty. They have a kind of rubber/plastic outer on the toe which is great for me as I usually wear out safety boots by kicking things! They replaced a pair the same which lasted a good couple of years (in extreme conditions!)

Z

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I have a pair of Gore-Tex Lowa boots up for trade in the swap shop, they're not steel toed but Lowas are always bombproof :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
SWMBO is looking for some steel toe capped boots......

any suggestions?

Based on the stuff you get up to while she is out of the house....

Cricket-Abdominal-Guard.png

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I wear these at work. I was paddling around in puddles ankle deep today and they kept my feet dry and toasty. They have a kind of rubber/plastic outer on the toe which is great for me as I usually wear out safety boots by kicking things! They replaced a pair the same which lasted a good couple of years (in extreme conditions!)

Z

they do look good to me but gemma prefers an all leather boot, she's got a thing for polish!

I have a pair of Gore-Tex Lowa boots up for trade in the swap shop, they're not steel toed but Lowas are always bombproof :)

thanks for the suggestion mate but they have to be toe caps, HSE says so

Based on the stuff you get up to while she is out of the house....

did it occur to you for one second that gemma would be reading this too, now i really am in trouble! old age dulling your wits mate!

hi stu, this is our local 'stock anything' army and navy type store, http://www.twryderarmyandnavy.co.uk/armynavy.html and i know they have german paras and others in stock. as for the civvy stuff, cats have always served me well maybe a bit pricey, but they last...

steve

gemma's had a few pairs of cats before but never really seems to get on with them, they tend to fall apart on her. i shall have a look at the link you gave me.

cheers for all the suggestions chaps

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
did it occur to you for one second that gemma would be reading this too, now i really am in trouble! old age dulling your wits mate!

Obviously talking about the tent erecting, I never mentioned burning smells :goodluck: Does your intellect dull after 40? Now I'm scared.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Obviously talking about the tent erecting, I never mentioned burning smells :goodluck: Does your intellect dull after 40? Now I'm scared.

cheers mate, might have got me out of that there (in my dreams) i wouldn't know about any dulling of intellect after 40 i'm way way behind you, over half a decade to go before i have to worry about dribbling into my slippers

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
British Army Wear two types of Steelies, magnum amazon type with cap and a CAB type with red badge similar to vibrams on the sole. The all leather cab are comfy but are hard to get surplus wise. Good luck in finding them.

forestwalker

Never tried the steel cap ones, but regular Blunstones are quite durable and comfortable. Sized for a suitable number of wool socks, of course (I wear one medium weight sock inside mine, with a thick felt insole, and is comfy down to around freezing).

EdS

have a look at the Arco website -- my daily wear is a pair of Goliath Groundmaster.

I work outside in all weather and paddling around in sewage -- I get about a year out of a pair of boots. THe conditions wreck any make.

Whoever she is working for are legal obliged to provide correct PPE for her inc. boots.

The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
These regulations seeks to ensure that where the risks cannot be controlled by other means, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is correctly selected and used.

Under the general requirements of The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, employees cannot be charged or be expected to contribute for the provision or maintenance of PPE.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
I have always found the Dickies work boots good they're all leather I believe and very comfy. If you just google dickies workwear they should show up :) make sure you put workwear though...I will not be held responsible for what comes up otherwise.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....a CAB type with red badge similar to vibrams on the sole. The all leather cab are comfy but are hard to get surplus wise. Good luck in finding them.

i guess that they're the ones we've been trying to find, are they the same pattern as the "normal" issue boots (assault boots i think they call them) she wears the all leather issue boots day in day out and loves them.

....Whoever she is working for are legal obliged to provide correct PPE for her inc. boots.

The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
These regulations seeks to ensure that where the risks cannot be controlled by other means, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is correctly selected and used.

Under the general requirements of The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, employees cannot be charged or be expected to contribute for the provision or maintenance of PPE.

unfortunately she's not employed, she's a student, and apparently her college isn't obliged to provide safety footwear.

thanks for all the suggestions chaps, there's bound to be something in there that's suitable.

cheers

stuart (and gemma)

Last edited:

EdS

is she doing field work as part of her course or is she "working" for the the college. That is paid work, volunteery work or helping classes ie demonstrator. If she is doing anything on behalf of the college they do have to provide PPE inc footwear.

If they are still digging their feet in a quick call to council Env Health or may be HSE would sort it.

pm me if you to "discuss"

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
is she doing field work as part of her course or is she "working" for the the college. That is paid work, volunteery work or helping classes ie demonstrator. If she is doing anything on behalf of the college they do have to provide PPE inc footwear.

If they are still digging their feet in a quick call to council Env Health or may be HSE would sort it.

pm me if you to "discuss"

she's doing field work as part of her course (diploma in countryside managment) i believe that the way it works with her college is that she buys PPE and then claims money back from a college fund. the problem being that she's already done that, unfortunately the boots she got turned out to be utter garbage, so we'll be returning the boots and getting a full refund which leaves us with a budget of about £50 for some new boots.

thanks for the offer of help

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE