Steel Atlatl dartheads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've been working on an atlatl for a young woman. The throwing board is a former ash bow stave, that broke (too much shaving near the handle), with a soapstone weight, and soapstone spur.

The darts have not been made yet, but I plan to use wild turkey feathers, and ash and willow for the dart shafts.

What is left, is to get the dartheads. The girl, plans to use the atlatl often, for SCA programs, and archery competitions. She's also curious about hunting with them. This all tells me that stone points, although beautiful, wouldn't last a week with her! At first I planned to make them out of bone, seeing them as still primitive, and a little bit more durable than flint or obsidian if it hit a log or rock. But weight is an issue there, being lighter than I'd like, and they are still fairly fragile.

My only true option, is metal. I've looked at the Field Points for atlatls, shown on http://www.primitiveways.com/field_points_for_atlatl.html and I agree that they look durable, and easy to make. But I wish for a more traditional look for her atlatl. Copper plumbing pieces just don't say "purist" to me. :lmao:

I've gotten in touch with a blacksmith I've worked with in the past. He's made tomahawks, steel strikers, everything I can think of for traditional blacksmithing. He's agreed to make the heads for a reasonable price, as long as I supply him with the design.

I was wondering if anyone in the group had any suggestions for size, shape, or anything else. I've only thought of three options thus far;

1) Capped dartheads, like the arrowheads on Ragweed Forge http://www.ragweedforge.com/s57.jpg but bigger and longer heads

2) tanged and long, like a small mill file ground and tempered.

3) heavy steel heads, with notches, like stone points.

Any criticism on these ideas, or any other ideas?

I was thinking of emailing the Society of Primitive Technology, but I trust your opinions greatly!

Thanks, Oz.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I don;t bother with metal heads for my darts. However this is because I have been unable to find light enough points. I have experimented with medieval bodkins and native american trade points. If you have very stiff darts bodkins can be effective. Trade points work fine until you hit something hard. I'd probably go for Ace broadheads or blunts if I was going to take them hunting.
Good Atlatl info can be found here
http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm68.showMessage?topicID=651.topic
Niall

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I would get a blacksmith to make up some socketed arrowheads for you. Though, I would suggest some with shorter shafts than the Ragweed heads, they are likely to snap your wooden dart! Ask him to make some bodkin points for target and some broadheads for hunting, that way she will be able to get the things out of her target! ;)

though I've not got around to making atlatls myself, I've made a fair few spears (throwing and thrusting types) and I always go for socketed heads now. to start with i tried a flat blade that fixed in like a stone point, but I kept snapping shafts on teh throwing spears. Then I tried stick tangs (like the files) and the same thing happened, or they bent at the tang. Socketed are easier to fit, easier to repair, stronger, heavier and you can have a small point for target that will be strong and stable, but keep the mass in the socket.

just my opinion of course :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE