Starting green woodwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all.
I am thinking of branching out from carving wonky spoons to trying a bit of green woodwork. I can't seem to register on the Bodgers website but was hoping someone here could help.

Basically, I can't afford a course at the moment but are there clubs or demonstrations about that might be of use? I live near Aldershot in hampshire.

I have a few books to give me some inspiration for carving different things. I have made a shave horse from timber and Santa has promised a drawknife. Before I go ahead and make an indoor pole lathe are there any other good ideas and sugestions to keep me occupied?

I am having a sudden urge to craft many things from the bush. I guess thats why they call it Bushcraft. Making baskets in front of the telly sounds fun also.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi Alchemist

I'm a member of Bodger's - PM me with some details and I can pass them to the Bodger's admin guys to look into if you want. Once you're on Bodger's you can have a look around and see who is doing what, and what might interest you.

There are various groups dotted around the UK, and even if there isn't an active group near you, one of the other members of Bodger's may well suggest a mini-meet-up.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There are plenty of local meet ups of the Association of pole lathe turners and green woodworkers. Costs about £15 to join I think but you might want to get signed up to the forum first and then ask if there is a local meet.

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
Hi Alchemist,
sounds like we are quite similar, I live not far from Aldershot, love green woodwork and santa has promised me a drawknife also!! unlike you I have the pole lathe but no shave horse.
I often sit around playing with willow making bits n bobs or mess around with the lathe and general gifts from natures toy box, whats your skill level on a lathe? maybe a meet up, cup of tea, play on the lathe? Im no mike abbott or robin wood but sure love drinking tea and making stuff!
shout me if interested

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE