StarCocoon Hammock Sleepng Bag".

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Sapper1, Thanks for the review. I've got Ian's excellent underquilt/overquilt combo, and we'll probably be after a couple of these in the next group buy (they're cracking value compared to the likes of the peapod, synthetic or not), but a few of the points you raised are a smidgen of a concern.

The length I could see on the photo's, that it'll deffo cover my karabiners-cum-drip-rings. OK, I can loop longer tape round them, but it'll put them outside the 10ft tarp when the hammock is taut. I'm sure 6 inches off the length (missus) would do the insulation properties no harm.

A bigger concern is the void beneath the hammock. It strikes me with these things, you can either have a snug fit with your head poking out, a big void above so you can read a book with your headlamp, or the halfway house where you zip right up with the bag a few inches off your face. From the photos it looks like the cocoon can do all three, but is that a big ask? If a few inches were knocked off the girth, so to speak, would reduce the void below the hammock, at the expense of making it a touch more claustrophobic (though the underquilt might be abetter idea in that case). But everyone would be a winner with the warmth, lighter weight and pack size, especially if coupled with the shorter length.

One other, perhaps more realistic, suggestion would be to put a couple of small fabric loops a couple of feet in from each end, at around a 45deg angle from the zip. You could then have the option to tie some shock cord to the ridge/utility line as per the bugnet on the dd travel hammocks mozzie net. The zip would be in a nice position for getting in and out, not to mention quite sociable at hangs with mates. And you wouldn't have yet another line going between the trees, with water potentially coming down it into the hammock.

Anyway, regardless of the above, which the other testers didn't seem to find a problem anyway, it looks like being a fantastic bit of kit at a bargain price, and we'll likely be in for one or two.

Carbuncle.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used the prototype at the Scottish New Year meet.
The weather got down to sub-zero at night.
The Cocoon I had had shock cord loops on karabiners fitted to each end.
I had them on prussik loops attached to the hammock tapes.
They tensioned the Cocoon so that there was no void under me as I slept solving the cold air problem.
A length of paracord around the entry point at the foot end stopped cold air running down to my feet.
The fabric the Cocoon is made from is extremely water resistant (don't ask how I found that out ;)) so i wasn't worried about rain at all,hough my hexfly gave me enough length to cover the cocoon.

For tose that haven't seen it, here is my review from the first use.
I had the cocoon last weekend to test out.
I was at a Scout Camp up near Aberdeen, The weather was dry but cold.
Very cold.
The night-time temperature was around -10 deg C
Sadly the cold killed my camera batteries so no pictures

The cocoon went up very easily. As always I had my hammock setup pre-assembled in a dry bag.
after setting up my tarp, I strung the hammock/cocoon combo and adjusted the tensioning cords.
It went up with no fuss.
Getting in and settled for the night was easy compared to the roll mat/sleeping bag combo.
I simply unzipped the cocoon, got into the hammock and zipped it up after myself.
Job Done.
comfort wise I was very comfortable. I was certainly warm enough despite the low temperature. The combo of insulation and reflectatherm certainly did its job.

Packed in my drybag the cocoon/hammock takes up less room than my underblanket/quilt combo although it is a little more restrictive in use.

There are a couple of little modifications I'd like on the mkII version though.
A mesh pocket (like on the military bag) for stashing watch/glasses, shock cord/cord locks on the entry points for the hammock so they can be closed off (if desired)
and some rows of stitching beside the zip to reduce the chance of snagging on the fabric.
If you want to get out of the cocoon in a hurry, a snagged zip is not an ideal situation.

That said, those are just little niggles/upgrade ideas. I don't know if the extras would have an undue increase in the manufacturing cost of the cocoon.

All told, this is a fantastic piece of equipment for the dedicated hammock camper. the cold weather potential of the cocoon is huge. If you have the quilt as well, you could use it in really cold temperatures without any problems.

All told, I'm very happy with it.
I'll be using it a couple of times more before it goes back to Ian.
Looking forward to it, and fully confident that it'll handle any weather conditions the UK can throw at me.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi Graham,
When you attached the carabiners to the cocoon,where did you tie the other end?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The carabiner was put through both loops on the end of the cocoon with the tape running beneath.
I then had a loop of shock cord attached to the carabiner to maintain tension.
The shock cord was tied to a loop of paracord that was tied into a prussic that slides up and down the hammock support tape.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Thanks for that Graham I'll give it a try,the only thing that concerns me is rain.The carabiner holding my hammock ends is only just inside the tarp,If I put in a ridge line to hold up the cocoon and the end set up you describe it should cure all my problems.
As I said in my feedback "it's possible that I may have set it up wrongly".It seems I was right I'd got it wrong.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Indeed - I've been following it with a great deal of interest, as have a lot of other people. Looks and sounds like a top piece of kit - well up for the next group buy for Mk2

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Sorry couldn't pick them up last week due to being down country from Weds to Sat morning. But am going in Mon am to collect and will post off Mon pm.
Just lately this thread seems to be all excuses on my part. Am seriously considering whether to do another Group Buy for these.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
WS is this just circumstance or resistance on behalf of the factory? If the latter they should remember we put a LOT of money their way with the purchase of various products.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Ian, no one blames you for the delays. You have a full time job and family that take priority. This is just a hobby and you do a sterling job with group buys, so keep going mate!

Simon

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
well as soon as this little bit of weather goes away, i will get my fairweather hammock out, take it up the woods and make a fool of myself trying to use my new kit with my hennesy!

i will let you know how it goes.

thanks again ian.

Adam.

got mine Wednesday and have done a mock setup from the upstairs bannister to the bedstead. I have used some shock cord from the loops on the coccoon to the krabs and Adam(7) has tested it as I would cave the bannister in with my weight:D
I am going to get it out in the woods for an overnighter asap.
I am chuffed with the quality of the item and will post when I have spent a night out in it.

Thanks Ian for all your hard work with this new product.:You_Rock_

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Picked mine up today from PO. Cheers Ian looks a cracking bit of kit looking forward to trying mine soon. Got the coccoon, hammock and bits all repacked as one unit, so setting up should take no time at all. I'll do some pics too.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Thank you for letting me know you have received your Coccoons. Can the rest of you please let me know when you receive yours.

Just a bit of a reminder to people. The Coccoon is NOT symetrical. It is wider at the end with the logos on. Someone had commented that it was tight round his shoulders. Hopefully he had it the wrong way round, or he has VERY broad shoulders. (no smileys for edits)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Just a bit of a reminder to people. The Coccoon is NOT symetrical. It is wider at the end with the logos on. Someone had commented that it was tight round his shoulders. Hopefully he had it the wrong way round, or he has VERY broad shoulders. (no smileys for edits)[/QUOTE]

That be me.

I hadn't realised that the cocoon was asymetrical. I'll try it again the next time that I'm out, because I struggled to fasten the blighter up last time. I'll take my underblanket and quilt as backup, but I hope that it'll fit me.

As a bit of background info, I've been on jobs with lads called Michael weighing over 20 stone, and / or more than 6'4", and it's always been me that gets called "Big Mike". I'm quite tall ( 6' 1" ) but my major attribute is my width.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE