Star trails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I went out with the intention of getting a couple of pics of the Perseids meteor shower....and although I saw at least six "shooting stars" the camera was always pointing in the wrong direction, and the wide angle lens I had, wasnt wide enough!
So plan "b" ...I took a series of eighteen 30 second exposures from the same viewpoint using a remote release cable, and then merged them in photoshop (I could have taken one very long exposure, but then image noise would have probably been a problem?)
Hopefully on the next attempt (this was my first) I will include some better foreground interest :eek: and no power line:yikes:
webstartrail.jpg

Not sure what the dotted line is going 90 degrees to the startrails at the top center near the power line?
...cant remember seeing it at the time, maybe a satellite??

thanks for looking
Mike :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
With the right software, you can also stack and align multiple exposures - so rather than getting trails, you get the equivalent of a very long exposure with motor tracking.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Like the trails software, thanks for the heads up.

Will have to have a go at that.

Dunc - do you have a pointer to the software you suggest? i wonder if it would give enough exposure to pick out nebulae?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sorry, it's something that I'm vaguely aware of, but I've never bothered to look into properly. Between urban light pollution and my lack of transport, there's not really much point for me... You probably won't pick up nebulae without a deep-field (large objective, low magnification) telescope though.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Not sure what the dotted line is going 90 degrees to the startrails at the top center near the power line? ...cant remember seeing it at the time, maybe a satellite??

I've tried to see the dotted line that you describe by messing about with the image contrast and brightness, but I still can't see it. My guess is an aircraft's strobe lights. Most satellites are either sunlit or not, they tend not to flash. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE