Stainless Billies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
I tried to post this yesterday but think it got lost so apologies if I am repeating myself. I am after some decent stainless billy cans and the only ones I can find are on Ray Mears website. They are about £15 each. I don't like cooking with aluminium and I want to invest in something I like. I'm just starting out in all this so don't know a good price if it smacks me in the face.

Is this a case of getting what you pay for and are there any other places I can get stainless ones from? They look rather nice but his site shop does seem a bit pricey.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
I think the price of the zebra billys on rays site are well priced.they are hard to find and they seem to have had good reviews.Having said that they seem quite heavy.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Cheers. I'm not too bothered about weight because my back isn't up to carting stuff around on it anyway and I'm restricted to getting to my destinations by car - shhh you didn't hear me say that!

I have degenerative osteo-arthritis in my spine and although I won't let it rule my life, I have my limits :)

Sadly that limits how far I can get from the beaten track.

I'll order Ray's billies - I did like the look of them

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
If weight is not a problem, why not just buy a set of cheap standard stainless steel cooking pans? If you are careful, the handles won't melt, and you can add a handle with wire and a drill.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
I've just purchased the 2.5l & 4l Tatonka kettles from sailgb.com (no connection etc)
After searching all over the net for the larger kettles including ebay it would seem that any site that has a connection to bushcraft have raised the prices of the kettles possibly due to the good reviews they have been getting. I would agree that they are excellent over an open fire and would grab some before they put the prices up.

As far a sizes go the 4l kettle does a nice rabbit stew for 2-3 people so that may give you some gauge of the sizes you may need.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If weight is not a problem, why not just buy a set of cheap standard stainless steel cooking pans? If you are careful, the handles won't melt, and you can add a handle with wire and a drill.

Whats the melting point of stainless steel? What temperature does an open fire get to?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Food grade stainless steel (usually 316) has a melting point of over a 1000C.

leon-1

If possible look for something with a locking bail arm, they make life a lot easier. Someone has already mentioned the Tatonka Kettles, they are possibly one of the best going at this moment in time IMHO, but there are cheap alternatives that you may be able to source from your local millets. Look for a stainless pan made by Gelert, they have copper coated bottoms, but they also have a locking bailarm that makes life easier when pouring.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Whats the melting point of stainless steel? What temperature does an open fire get to?

I don't know the exact MP as I don't know the exact composition, but around 1400C would be my estimate. An open fire wont get very hot, with a good bed of embers you can just melt aluminium, not enough to cast but you can just melt it.

But, whatever is in the pan will cool the pan itself, you can boil water in a paper bag because of the cooling effect.

I have a stainless steel pan that I use to cast lead, that's about 400C temp, way more than anything you could cook with. I have also used a stainless pan to cast aluminium, about 700C or so. You will never melt a stainless steel pan on an open fire, even with a furnace it is difficult, requiring a large airflow and coke.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If possible look for something with a locking bail arm, they make life a lot easier. Someone has already mentioned the Tatonka Kettles, they are possibly one of the best going at this moment in time IMHO, but there are cheap alternatives that you may be able to source from your local millets. Look for a stainless pan made by Gelert, they have copper coated bottoms, but they also have a locking bailarm that makes life easier when pouring.

Ive got some like these made by wynster, there great and weigh less than zebras with a very usable deep lid/fry pan. They stock them at various places.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE