Spyderco Sharpmaker Suppliers?

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
One question, I've been looking at getting a good sharpening stone since I've started carving. I've searched this site and come across the Spyderco Sharpmaker, which looks perfect, but I can't fine any UK suppliers. Does anyone know a UK source, or will I have to buy from america?

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You could do better for less money. Do you have any diamond stones? The DMT pocket stones are excellent!

How about a leather strop? Need it! Even with the Sharpmaker.

I would have those long before a Sharpmaker.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
www.heinnie.com does them for £48.95 including next day postage. Although the Smith's 3 in 1 sharpening system looks really good and is only £20. Excellent company to deal with. :)

as always, 'I have no connection with them etc'.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
weaver said:
You could do better for less money. Do you have any diamond stones? The DMT pocket stones are excellent!

Hi Weaver.....But the sharpmaker is so easy to use though, and you can sharpen most tools that need sharpening on it, including serrated blades. My bread knife has never been so sharp. I love the thing. I do use stones and strops too....Horses for courses......

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
scottishwolf said:
www.heinnie.com does them for £48.95 including next day postage. Although the Smith's 3 in 1 sharpening system looks really good and is only £20. Excellent company to deal with. :)

WHOA!!! almost $100, no way!

For that much money they should send over a virgin to sharpen my knives and wash the dishes! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
weaver said:

Well I do have a small quite corse sharpening stone, but half the time my knives seem to be less sharp after I've used it :confused: or just lose there edge very quickly. Thats why I thought something that held my hand a bit would be good to start me off on. And I'm shore I can find a old leather belt somewhere for a strop.

scottishwolf said:

Hmm, I cant get that site to work. It just comes up black.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
WhichDoctor,

You want me to bring the £5 sharpening kit to the February meet? Guarantee I can split hairs after using that. Happy to show you some sharpening technique and how to make your own kit if you like (I've don it for most of the lads there)

Red

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
British Red said:
WhichDoctor,

You want me to bring the £5 sharpening kit to the February meet? Guarantee I can split hairs after using that. Happy to show you some sharpening technique and how to make your own kit if you like (I've don it for most of the lads there)

Red

lol, Red your ruining all my Christmas ideas :lmao: . Yes that would be grate, is that the one made with sandpaper?

I think ill get one of these anyway though, but the £20 Smith's 3 in 1 sounds a bit better, thanks scottishwolf :You_Rock_

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
British Red said:
Yep - the one made from wet and dry paper mate - don't knock it - it works!

Red

I've no doubt it does work extremely well, weather I could work it is a nether matter :eek: .

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is designed in such a way that any idiot could use it, which makes it perfect for me :lmao: .

It would be really grate to see one of thoughs sandpaper pads in February though, thanks :) . I do have to learn proper sharpening but in the mean time I would quite like some sharp knives :p .

Edit: Thanks Jon Pickett for the tip. I've bought myself one for Christmas off ebay, £36 including P&P from America, bargain :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE