Sprouts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
So my sprouts are doing grand at the moment and the leaves are not chewed up yet, was wondering am i good to nick the odd leaf as a cabbage substitute or are they bitter when fully grown? anyone eaten the large leaves as they do look like nice cabbage leaves or is it best to wait for the sprouts?

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I would wait as you need them fully grown by mid september so you can get them on to boil for Christmas...............

Ill get me coat.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Big sprout leaves are often sold as 'Greens' so you can in fact boil and enjoy...better still slice thinly, par boil, pat dry and fry in smoked bacon fat/lardons/smoked speck :) ... enjoy.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Always cook enough to have some left over. Sprouts make the best bubble and squeak.
t2808.gif

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
And excellent stir fried with spring onions, pepper, ginger and a shake of soy sauce. We rarely eat them any other way now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE