Spring wild camp on Dartmoor anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Itching to get back out to Dartmoor once the weather stops being silly. Thought I'd poll interest in an early spring/late winter wild camp. Anyone interested? Would quite like to find a hammock and tent spot if anyone has good local knowledge of the moors (I'm new'ish down here) for those swingers out there. If not, I can organise meeting and camping spots so post if you're up for a lark about in the beautiful surroundings of Dartmoor.

Oliver.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi zarkwon post the details when you have the them wouldnt mind a visit to dartmoor not far from wales me thinks regards dave

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
potentially i'd be interested depending on when.
think it will be a tent session on dartmoor though... and will need to be decent temperatures as cant have fires.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I was thinking tent too, especially if there are a few of us as hanging is a stealth thing on Dartmoor. Wouldn't be until the weather is decent but stoves are allowed, honey is a stove and with the hive upgrade is a useful size :) though not enough to keep you warm if it's brass monkeys.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I watched a video by naturalbushcraft in YouTube. Their dartmoor camp or something like that. They had fires etc on there. So what's the crack with that? And I have recollection of Reading on a dartmoor site to be careful with fires. But at this point in time. I'm full of pigeon, beer and another popular natural herb. So can't be 100%. It's a shame if you can't.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
"No person shall light a fire on the access land, or place or throw or let fall a lighted match or any other thing so as to be likely to cause a fire. This byelaw shall not prevent the lighting or use in such a manner as not to cause danger of or damage by fire of a properly constructed camping stove or cooker". Maximum Penalty - £500 fine

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
This is the one that gets me.
"No person shall without reasonable excuse remove from or displace on the access land any soil, peat, dung or stones".
Is digging a poo pit seen as a reasonable excuse ? :eek::D

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I am of the opinion that a honey stove with hive upgrade used on a stone hearth (I know a little place) complies with the aforementioned byelaw. That's still a reasonable sized fire and yet also a properly constructed camping stove which is not likely to cause damage by fire to the land.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
For what it's worth, I live on the moor and teach navigation here. If anyone would like any local info I would be happy to oblige :) I dont have pm - perhaps someone could tell me how to solve that???

As for a wild camp - I would certainly be up for that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE