SPOT satellite messenger

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've been using SPOT for just over 18months now and am very impressed with it. I've never had to use it in an emergency, but its great for letting the OH know where I am and that I'm OK. It gives me great peace of mind to know that if I'm incapacitated someone can find me with no difficulties.

I regularly send test messages which come to my phone giving long lat and time and they arrive to my phone in less than 20 seconds. It can also send an email with the same message. The SOS message contacts a landline number of your choice or a service that SPOT operates.

Our area is a mobile phone blackspot so I can't rely on that, and a buddy system would still mean someone would have to search for me after the time when I should have returned.

The unit itself fits in the palm of the hand, has a rugged waterproof case, and 3AAA batts last ages.

Not sure what the cost is now, but I paid under £150 for the unit (from handtec) and 39euros a year subs which includes 200 messages.

The guys who were missing in the glens over the last few days would have been found straight away had they been using SPOT.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I have used a satellite phone in the past and the signal just cuts off /loses contact -depending- on which way the antenna is facing !!!!!

whats the differance ( if any) with using the SPOT system ???

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a SPOT on here a few months ago, it's getting packed for west coast canoe trips and the TGO next year

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
would an EPERB not be better for a canoe trip ??

In an emergency you're probably right, I'll be using mine for hiking trips too though so the SPOT suits me well. It's more a case of having basic comms with the wife when the mobile is out of signal, and it lets others keep a tab on me by tracking my progress through a weblink.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I couldn't find the spot thread. Anyhow, the SPOT is different to a Sat Phone in that it only sends one tiny message rather than having to have connection for a long conversation. It works best with clear view of the sky but I've tested it in dense woodland and it gets the message out after a short while.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
EPIRB is not currently licensable for use on land in the UK. You would have trouble registering the details unless you own a boat.

I am not saying that if you carried one and used it it would not work or get attention but it could cause confusion and delay a response. Daft is it not.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sooo, tell me more. please.

Himself has hit retirement age and still walks hills, and these days he's usually alone (His climbing partner of thirty years died very suddenly and apart from an occasional trip with one of our sons, he prefers to go out alone)
He does carry a mobile phone, and he always arranges that I know where he intends to climb/walk, and if he hasn't phoned me by such-and-such a time he knows I'll phone the police/rescue services......but......fit, healthy and very capable though he might be, is it enough when there's something else available ?

cheers,
Toddy

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
EPIRB is not currently licensable for use on land in the UK. You would have trouble registering the details unless you own a boat.

I've licensed mine (bought for overseas expedition use) and I don't have a boat :). It seems daft that you can also carry one in an aircraft for use if you crash on land, but not legally use one when travelling on the ground :confused: (though I believe this is under review at the moment?)

If in a remote area in the UK i think i'd be inclined to carry one and use it if the circumstances dictate, and argue the point later rather than die staying legal.

"better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6" as someone once said to me...

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Sooo, tell me more. please.

Himself has hit retirement age and still walks hills, and these days he's usually alone (His climbing partner of thirty years died very suddenly and apart from an occasional trip with one of our sons, he prefers to go out alone)
He does carry a mobile phone, and he always arranges that I know where he intends to climb/walk, and if he hasn't phoned me by such-and-such a time he knows I'll phone the police/rescue services......but......fit, healthy and very capable though he might be, is it enough when there's something else available ?

cheers,
Toddy

Mary,

Here is a thread I started that maybe of some interest: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72122&highlight=

I'm pretty sure all the beacons will soon be legal, but can't remember all the details. A German chap recently broke his leg up in Assynt fortunately he had a SPOT with him. Stornoway Coastguard (Rescue 100) got to him very quickly in what otherwise may have been a protracted search in a very remote area.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
They are great but mine is currently dormant as I can't afford to pay the 100 Euro a year subscription at the moment! That's something you definitely need to be aware of as they aren't just a one-off payment. You buy the unit itself and then have to pay every year for your subscription. As soon as I can afford it, I'll have mine up and going again.

It's also worth noting that these can also transmit location data without triggering an emergency - you can keep people aware that you are safe (and of your location) without needing a phone signal.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I use a sat phone regularly. I can send text messages with my location instantly and have the reassurance that I can speak to someone to confirm the massage has got through. I have looked at the SPOT it seems to get mixed reviews. All sat comms are not cheap so paying a 100 euro a year is not a huge expense.

It might be something that the regional groups could purchase together and share not everyone will be spending huge amounts of time in remote locations.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've got mine through work as I do a lot of lone working, less than 10 euro a month isn't a high price to pay for peace of mind. SPOT have brought out a communicator that allows you to use a smartphone (via bluetooth) to make calls and texts, no idea whether its any good or not.

udamiano

On a new journey
Have been using a spot transmitter for years now, in some very remote places, and have got a reception. The cost is reasonable for the peace of mind it gives, especially if you do a lot of travelling into places that are of the beaten track, a few limitations are that you do need a clear view of the sky, for it to be effective. and of course its only as good as the battery life (it requires lithium batteries, I always have 2 spare sets in a sealed bag with me).
apart from those minor things, They are for me, well worth the investment, It keeps SWMBO happy, as she can log in a see where I am, and if i'm OK

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Have used SPOT extensively for remote forestry lone-working and generally happy with it. Currently in discussion (argument) with work H&S about the relative merits of a SPOT or mobile login/logoff system. Neither is perfect, but SPOT wins for me for the ability to yell for immediate help rather than have to wait. The only time I had trouble was working in the Lakes - big steep hills and dense tree cover meant that some signals didn't get through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE