Spoons!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
What is it with this spoons business?
I have whittled and carved all sorts of things for outdoors use, but a spoon isn't one of them. Now don't get me wrong: a spoon is a handy thing to have ...when you need one. I usually have one (or a few) in the circumstances where such a thing as a spoon is required. No doubt, in extremis, I could fashion some sort of a scoop that would serve the purpose if the need arose. In fact, if the need really arose, I'm certain I could turn out carved spoons along with the best of them. Call me arrogant, but I have that confidence in my abilities. Nevertheless, I have NO intention of carving spoons just for the sake of it. I just don't see the point.

I have this rather surreal picture in my mind's eye: the plane has crashed in the jungle, hundreds of miles from anywhere. Nearly everyone is dead. Carruthers pipes up: "Williams has bought it; so has Jones. Come on chaps, Steady the Buffs. I know ....let's carve some spoons!"
Yeah, right!

Burnt Ash

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I think this comes partly back to the difference between survival and bushcraft. Survival you're getting by, bushcraft you're living comfortably. Carving spoons uses a range of techniques and skills. How else are you going to eat your Rabbit Stew or nettle soup?

leon-1

I think that it is partly due to the amount of different types of cut that are used when carving a spoon, they are generally just a good way to practice your carving for that reason.

As you have said the end product has a purpose and can be re-used rather than being an ornament, which apart from its asthetic appeal serves very little purpose.

Arrogance aside, my first spoon turned out very well indeed, but I have seen many people whittling away until they have a toothpick. Just practiceing by carving a spoon allows you to get a feel for it and the types of cut that you use for most carving. :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Whether it's the knife you're practicing with or choosing the proper piece of wood, perfect practice makes for perfect results. With that in mind, I can see carving a whole 8 piece place setting, or a firedrill, etc. Myself, I'm a chopsticks kind of guy and slurp my soup from the cup. :nana:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Spoon carving, apart from being a craft with 'the craft', is as pointed out used as a way for instructors to monitor and teach students carving techniques, save knifemanship, wood selection etc - it also gives the student a material item to take away from the course.

I also use it as a test peice for evaluating a new knife as if I can control the knife well enough to carve a spoon I can control it for all the tasks I will ask of it.

Spoon carving, like many things, has been elevated to a semi mythical statious in a way, due to it being seen by views of certain TV programmes screened here in the UK.

Finally, there is a fun side to it (god I sound like a geek!) on a lazy day I like to play a game (sounding even sadder!) where I set my mug to boil on the green heat and then carve the spoon with which to stir it once its ready. It is good practice and a reasonably good spoon can be produced - of course I dont bother with the bowl after all this is really only needed for eating not stirring.

OK now I realise how sad I am, I'm off to find a friend and get a life :roll:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Hmm, is GreenHeat really slow, or do you make spoons really quickly?

My water would have boiled away by the time I'd finished one of these:

together.jpg

jakunen

Native
I wondered the same thing.
Then...
As Gary points out (and I do in the review of the course I did with him) it is a great way to get to grips with the skills of handling a knife.
And in a survival situation, you know how to carve a spoon which will obviously be useful preparing and eating food. And know that you can safely handle your knife which may well be your key to survival.

One simple task that fits into both spheres.

Surprisingly, for such an apprently simple, basic and minimal thing, I got a great sense of satisfatcion at having completed my first one.
Just need to finish my Mulberry wood one now...

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
:eek:): Greenheat will heat my brew in about 7 mins!

I dont mean carve the spoon from scratch - selecting wood ect.

Usualy I will have found spoon wood en-route and split it with my knife before reaching my brew stop.

So carving usually only means shaping and as I say I dont bother with a bowl - said spoon is a pratical thing, just spoon shaped, but it is a good practice for making proper spoons.

These are spoons with no sanding or fuss involved and once used they are returned to the woods from whence they came.

I like to leave it resting in the crook of a tree as a gift of thanks to the trees for suppling the wood and to the wild wood spirits for allowing me to visit with them.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Burnt Ash said:
Nevertheless, I have NO intention of carving spoons just for the sake of it. I just don't see the point.

When I get in a survival situation, the first thing I do is carve a chicken.

chicksak3.jpg

Chickens are a good souce of protein. Then I make chicken soup. While the soup is brewing, I carve the spoon to eat the soup.

:roll:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Good bird there Hoodoo. I can see where in a survival situation that sitting down and getting a warm fire going, brewing up something hot and carving something would help the individual to calm and focus on what really needs to be done.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Is that there chicken edible?

So thats the next phase - forget spoons lets see chicken pic's!!!! :super:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Very interesting question and one that goes back intot he history of spoons - the answer is too boring to comprehend in its fullest (jakunen will verify that as I give it on the greenhorn course) but in brief - as long as only you use your spoon i.e put it in your mouth no harmful bacteria will survive upon the wood.

Whether it is true or not I dont know but when I worked for woodlore one of the other instructors used to say that Ray had had tests done by the institute of medicine and tropical diseases in london and they found woods nature antibacterial properties protected it against harmful growths.

As I say I dont know if this is true but I have used the same apple wood spoon for the past 5 years and never cleaned it beyond the usual soapy water and it has never done me any harm.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
My wife and I use a set of wooden spoons for kitchen duty and have for a lot of years. They work great and clean up easily. They were made thick enough that even a few sandings over the years have left them in very usable condition.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Many, maybe all?? woods have antibacterial properties. Even real linoleum which I believe is partly made from pine sap is said to be naturally antiseptic! Thats also why wooden chopping boards are safer than plastic ones.

Interesting about your offering to the trees Gary, an old mate of mine always used to do the same thing with his spoon when we left a camp, I remember him leaving one in a cleft in the rock when we camped in a place with no trees :)

Jason

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
080804013.jpg

This is a blank of a spoon I carved this morning while my mug heated up - as you can see it's nothing elaborate but it is good enough for a brew - you could easily finish such a blank off later at your leisure. Start (splitting down the branch pre-selected enroute) to finish it took me 4.32 mins.

While being good carving practice on this occasion it also gave me a chance to evaluate a new knife (pictured) so I killed several birds with one stone.

As for giving the carved spoon back to the forest, I think this is a good and respectful practice and not dis-similar to the native American practice of leaving their wagan stick crane leaning against a tree so the Windigo spirit can not track them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE