Spoon knife

SethF

Jun 2, 2014
Bournemouth
Hello guys. I am trying to choose a crook knife and for such a simple thing the choices are bewildering. I would like to keep It under £20 whilst I am learning. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I don't think you can go far wrong with a single edged Mora whilst learning to use one and sharpen one.
Once you get into spoon carving you will probably upgrade to a more expensive one but you will have gained the skills to better use it and look after it.

Rob.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
What the man above said. Mora cuts well and cheap to get hold of. Annoyingly only in right hand models so as a leftie I had to go for the double edge one. Still good but limits holds you can figure

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I use a small bladed chip carving knife and a small swept gouge for details, they live in a case I got from "The Woodsmith's Store" so always to hand and edges are safe.

Spoon%2520carving%2520kit.jpg

and yes that is a mora spoon knife.... not yet found a good reason to upgrade (aside from liking new shiny things ;))

Rob

PS a fair bit of detail and roughing out is done with a bushcraft knife, either my Mora or my Condor. The mora carving knife linked to by crosslandkelly is pretty sweet to use, though I have not purchased one....yet!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE