Splicing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Seeing the post on a British Army clasp knife for sale reminded me of my use of the marlin spike on mine to splice the loops on a first try at a toggle rope from cheap plaited paracord. I plaited three lengths of the cord to make up my rope which turned out a bit shorter than planned. I was surprised how strong the splices are. Will be trying this on real rope.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Seeing the post on a British Army clasp knife for sale reminded me of my use of the marlin spike on mine to splice the loops on a first try at a toggle rope from cheap plaited paracord. I plaited three lengths of the cord to make up my rope which turned out a bit shorter than planned. I was surprised how strong the splices are. Will be trying this on real rope.

file.php

Can't see that image, perhaps I'd have to be logged in?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was hoping someone would post showing clear splicing :D
I do it when joining ends, etc., but I never feel it's as neat as it should be.

I've tried to see if there were anything I could do to clear boatman's link, but no joy.
Hopefully, he'll try again :)

cheers,
Toddy

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Trying again through flickr. Remember it is only a first attempt.

assume it can be seen in next post

Last edited:

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
Three strand is easy to splice, either long splice (joining), eye splice (loops) or back splice (ends), it requires no special equipment other than knife, screwdriver, electrical tape and a gas lighter.

Braded, multi plait and braid on braid are a little tricker especially small diameters, the only addition to the above is a set of Swedish fids, long needles and whipping twine. (and on pre stressed rope strong fingers)

A good book on splicing is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knots-Ropework-Nola-Trower/dp/1861263791 and can be picked up second hand for 1p +p&p

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
When I make dog leads I splice the end through to form the handle loop.

Below is a four cord braid, well it's eight cords as I doubled up, but it's still a four cord braid if you know what I mean.

DSCF4206.jpg

Same but in two colours

DSCF4248.jpg

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
That reminds me, I need a new fid....I managed to lose mine last year! No big deal as it was simply a short lenght of 8mm copper domestic heating pipe cut off at an angle and the rags sanded down....just as usefull as a spike for splicing but being hollow you can push it through, slip the line inside and then withdraw both fid and line making the whole job less that bit quicker and easier!

As for strength of a splice, even a poorly formed splice will be at least as strong as the original rope and a well executed job will be many times stronger! I splice all my own winch ropes and I've never had a splicing (or ever known one) part yet.
Toddy, re finishing for a tidy job....I sometimes 'whip' the finals on splices for durabiity but it also tidies the job up nicely too, plus I find it's as satisfying to do as the splicing itself!

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
some tips for making a splice in 3 strand hawser laid rope neater:

after each tuck twist the strand you've just tucked, in a clockwise direction, and pull back towards the splice and against the direction of the original lay (the main bit you're poking the ends through). The idea is to make the ends you're tucking spiral round the rope in the opposite direction to the original lay. The effect should be a diagonal pattern with the new bits matching the angle of the original bits but in the opposite direction.

Once you've laid it all, and tightened each tuck as you make it, roll it hard between your hands or between foot and floor (seriously). This will magically tidy up the splice and make it all tight and pretty looking.

Nylon splices beautifully, polyprop is a bit stiff and tends to unravel too readily.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Nylon splices beautifully, polyprop is a bit stiff and tends to unravel too readily.

I would have to disagree with you there, and suggest that exactly the opposite is the case. It is my experience that in the majority of cases, when a hawser laid (3-strand) nylon rope is cut, even if the strands are whipped the lay collapses completely and you are left with a floppy mass of formless yarns. On the other hand, polypropylene, notably the ubiquitous blue split-film rope, holds its form when cut, almost as well as manilla or sisaland it is often possible to execute a splice without needing to whip the strands at all.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I would have to disagree with you there

Fair comment - I didn't put that very clearly. I meant nylon is soft and will go where you put it wheras polyprop (especially big polyprop) fights back and can have a mind of its own. You're right that nylon if left alone will flop out of lay - you have to keep re-twisting it and not let go of it.

As for the unravelling I was thinking of a piece of quite stiff polyprop I was working with the other day, trying to re-lay and seal the end - as soon as I tried to hold the end with finger tips - boing - it would slip and explode out of lay like a spring and would unravel about 4 inches or more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE