Speyside way advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi Everyone,

I'm intending on walking the Speyside way (South to North) on the third week in April. I have never done a long distance walk before and would appreciate any info anyone has about this walk or undertaking a long distance walk. I will be walking on my own and am intending taking a tent or a bivvy bag and tarp, Is the bivvy bag/tarp a suitable combo ?.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice you can give.

Regards,
Cal

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
The best tip i can give you is take just what you need and no more ,10 to 12 kg max is easily achievable if you pack right
As for shelter take what you are comfortable with or better still your lightest shelter ,and enjoy your walk

Jason

Ps that weight i gave you includes all of your food and 1l of water for you to drink as you walk

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
As others have said, the lighter your kit, the more you will enjoy it. Don't know how you are getting to the start, but you could always drop off a couple of food stash's on your way :)

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Ill tell you also what has changed my long distance walking, explorer canteen. I use it alongside my osprey canteen. I drink from the explorer as i walk, and use the explorer to refill the osprey aswell. Water can be a big consideration. weighing a kilo a litre if you cant procure your own as you go. Its alot to carry. There are other systems out there, But this has worked very well for me. It claims to do alot, non of which i know enough to say aether there claims are true or not. I have however drank dirty brook and canal water from. It tasted lovely, was clear and has never given me any side effects. The first big walk i did on my own i carried all my water need for the journey. It ruined my walk and ruined me for weeks, possibly months. Best advice i can give besides that is over compensate time so you can enjoy it.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yes weight is important but if you get hit by wet windy weather with a bivi, then hard routine !

You could get 23degs, like now, or more likely cold an wet maybe frosts.

I would take a two man tent for room and limt food to only have two days with you at a time. Water is an issue
but you can plan it right. I canoed the Spey Descent and stayed at Blacksboat campsite. Basically a bit of grass
and old railway platform with a tap. No other facilities. I would use layers and start walking slightly chilled. This should
reduce sweating and water consumption.

Have fun.

PS I have done the WHW and multi day walks elsewhere.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
What time frame have you set yourself? as your taking a shelter I assume you'll walk however far you want to rather than HAVING to get to somewhere [youth hostel bnb etc] how far each day are you planning to walk? I don't know how long the route/ your fitness level what weight you'll carry etc but I bet on going 2 miles an hour for 10 hours a day [this is slower than i actually walk - atleast hopefully - but it does factor in stopping for the odd breather/cup of tea/ looking at something interesting]

Personally I'd take food for 2 days I assume your relativley close to civilisation and can get more, and 4 litres of water [I know water is heavy but I drink a lot and 4 litres for me does 1 1/2 days easily enough]

Again not knowing your time frame, don't beat yourself up if you don't cover the distances you want. I set off on the pennine intending to complete it in 2 weeks, I took 1 1/2 months, started slogging trying to cover larger distances only to knacker myself in and realise it was no fun so I slowed down took my time, once the 'burden' of achiving my initial goals was removed I had a whale of a time I even considered turning round and walking back! I was luck to have nothing to get back for [family friends job house etc [I was a student back then] - although now thats changed a bit]

just one last thing you HAVE to enjoy it or theres no point.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Thanks everyone, I am going to carry a 1-1/2 person tent and and enough water/food and fuel for a 3 day trip, as I can go to a shop to get snacks etc along route ( as I type there is snow falling). Input has helped a lot, previous to this I was planning everything I needed from A to B.

Thanks,
Cal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE