Spell check pleeze ;-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Should we have a forum for "grumpy old bushcrafters"?

:D

I might enjoy that.....---they don't make Vaughan minis like they used to! :)

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
My Spelling isn't great at all, I use the cut and paste method, unless like Gary it's just short.

I've also got firefox installed and that does help out a bit.

I think there is a level that spelling makes little difference but there’s also the level where it makes a lot of difference, now and then I give up on something because it's hard work trying to get the meaning of what's being said, if we want people to understand and communicate we do need to put some effort into it. Typing in word and then pasting it into here isn't hard at all.

Yes, I could spend the time setting up a spell checker and that's on the cards in the revised site, it's not going to be in the next little while though ;)

Umm, I glad I spell checked this, I had misstyped words all over the place, thoughts are faster than fingers…:D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Tony said:
Umm, I glad I spell checked this, I had misstyped words all over the place, thoughts are faster than fingers…:D
Do you mean I'M glad I spell checked this :lmao: you did that on purpose didn't you :D

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
The odd misspelling doesn’t bother me: I’m not a great speller myself. But a lot of posts here are almost impossible to understand because some posters don’t even make the slightest attempt to write in sentences.

It is particularly annoying when someone posts a question and expects readers to waste their time trying to understand their gibberish.
I took the liberty of translating Wayland’s post.

Wayland said:
iv jst hd to rd thro a post three times to try and work out what d poster was on about its not the first time it seems to be happen a lot ltly im not sure if it is due to spln rs or that ghastly txt message abbvns that sms to be gen infecting our beautiful lng ts dz now i realise some pple hav probs with spelln, im no * myself but if there was a spell check facility on the site it would be a great help not just for the poster but also the rdrs if it is just down to lazy text speak then can i respectfully suggest that if it’s not worth spending a few extra seconds comming properly, then perhaps its not worth comming at all.... :soapbox:

Ramon

Dec 3, 2006
County Donegal Ireland
mi is from de west indies init, me knows a good speller, she the local voodoo lady, she give you all de good spells you want man init, she even check em first. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
At my work there's a computer that controls the messages displayed on the overhead gantrys on the motorway.
Last year when they started displaying the message "R U 2 CLOSE", quite a few folk(myself included) complained that it was, well, the sweary filter here wouldn't let me say what I thought of it.

Pointing out that there were enough letters on the gantry to display "ARE YOU TOO CLOSE" was met with comments that it was a big government safety campaign and that "R U 2 CLOSE" stickers, signs, mugs and all sorts of paraphernalia were being produced as well.

What chance do you stand? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind ten minutes logged onto that box. There's definite giggle potential there :p.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I understand that to imitate a poor piano player one must first achieve a certain advanced level of competence! Texter-stileeee type contributors please note!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmmm... :bluThinki .... I do have grumpy bushcrafter days occasionally.

Usually I just pick up my bag and get away from it all for a while.

Unfortunately, the last time I did that, I ended up having to clear up one of my favourite camp sites because some braindead oxygen wasters had taken load of flat pack furniture halfway up a mountain to use as firewood.

Obviously they didn't have the skills needed to burn it completely so they left most of it in a smouldering pile surrounded by beer bottles and cider cans.

I came home a very grumpy bushcrafter........ :rant:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Greg said:
It is probably due to that awful Text writing:rolleyes: , why do people insist on using it when you can write as much or as little as you want to on here. There is no limit, not that I have reached anyway!

That Text writing is down to the fact that you only have so many available characters on mobile phone messages isn't it? I wouldn't know, I don't own one:D

I think that texting is an invention of the devil... I finally cracked and reluctantly learned (as enjoyable as having a tooth pulled without anesthetic) when I realised that I would have to, if I wanted to communicate with my children when they were further away than the next room. At the least they gleefully reply to text rather than grunting: Yeah?? nah...bye..... :D

Ho, and I think a "grumpy old bushcrafter" thread is a very good idea! :D I'll join in...

jimmyh

Mar 7, 2007
Merseyside
I’m afraid txt typing is here to stay. It may well be a irritant for the older generation but its only going to become more prevalent. There could be a major social uprising on the issue to stop it in its tracks but I don’t believe its that big a crisis, people can’t even be arsed to vote.
I’ve just used the “spell-check and paste form word” idea, its dead good and if you use the thesaurus you can pretend to be literate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The English language has got simpler over the years anyway, take a song like this

Original Lyrics

Put your left foot in,
Your left foot out,
Your left foot in,
And shake it all about.
You do the hokey pokey
And turn yourself around
That's what it's all about.

Shakespearean Style

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke.
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from heaven's yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke -- banish now thy doubt.
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.

;) ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE