Spark-lite firestarters - avalibility in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Does anyone know where these kits are avalible

attachment.php

I could get one shipped from survivalresources.com but before I do and have to pay the extra shipping from the US I thought I'd ask here

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Corso, a brief word of warning on the Sparklite. I had, past tense, one and to be honest it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. If you can find the metal version then get that one. It might be that I got a defective striker but when I went to strike mine the wheel seized up and after working it back and forth a few times it work until the wheel shot out the top and vanished into the grass. It seems the spring pressure is too strong and the brackets that hold the wheel weren't strong enough to hold. This is the only firelighter/sparker that's ever let me down. The tinder quicks were the only saving grace.

I have one of these made from a single turned bit of brass, far superior.

Sparker_zpsc2d83bba.jpg

**EDIT**

Get this one that Chas found.

Thanks Chas. :)

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If I were interested in going down that route I'd take the innards out of a Clipper rather than hack up a bic?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Corso, a brief word of warning on the Sparklite. I had, past tense, one and to be honest it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. If you can find the metal version then get that one. It might be that I got a defective striker but when I went to strike mine the wheel seized up and after working it back and forth a few times it work until the wheel shot out the top and vanished into the grass. It seems the spring pressure is too strong and the brackets that hold the wheel weren't strong enough to hold. This is the only firelighter/sparker that's ever let me down. The tinder quicks were the only saving grace.

I have one of these made from a single turned bit of brass, far superior.

attachment.php

**EDIT**

Get this one that Chas found.

Thanks Chas. :)

Looks like a UST Micro Spark

http://www.brownells.co.uk/MICRO-SPARK-WHEEL
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire-lighting/flint-steels/micro-sparkwheel-fire-lighter.htm

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I looked at one and thought it was too small for one hand use, there wasn't enough body to hold with cold/wet hands

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, can't imagine my big hands being able to use one of them.

Tadgear's Survival Spark is longer I think, but seems to have had a price increase since last looked.

Giantwalks

Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth
www.justgiving.com
One question please:

Why do you want to use such a firestarter? I think it has a lot of mechanical components which can be damaged or destroyed. And you have to use this particular tinder. I use ferrocerium firestarters. I bought two rods, both about 20 cm long ( one I shortened to get them into the survival-kit) and about thumb-thick so I can use them even in winter wearing gloves or when hurt with just one hand. I´m still working with the first rod and I use it each and every day on my trip which started 2.5 years ago.

I really like these ferro-rods. Additional you can use them as an emergency-signal. The sparks fly about 8 meters and burn very hot and much longer.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I lost my old one and realy liked the simplicity. Should have bought an orange one rather than green one ;)

but in the end its a back up to my ferror rod, lighter, flint and steel set

I've yet to find a better one hand self containedvlighting system that is that small

I really like these ferro-rods. Additional you can use them as an emergency-signal. The sparks fly about 8 meters and burn very hot and much longer.

Can't see that being very useful, 8 meters isn't very far if someone is trying to find you you want something that can be seen a mile away or more and for long enough for the person looking for you to have half a chance of seeing it, I'd also wager if you want to be found you'll be weak or injured ferror rods take some energy to use....

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
before you throw out money: take an empty BIC and a hacksaw blade, start removing the unnecessary plastic until you're either left with a sparker like in post #6 or just cut off the bottom of the BIC and utilize the empty gas tank for tinder storage

Or, just use a full BIC lighter, and carry that. Will be a lot more usefull (unless you're just after the novelty factor ofcource :p).

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.

Does look the same doesn't it? Mine has the makers name "SAUNDERS" etched into it.

I looked at one and thought it was too small for one hand use, there wasn't enough body to hold with cold/wet hands

Agreed it can be a bit fiddly with chilled hands. I did see a nice mod on the net where the guy took a piece of oak dowel and drilled a hole in the end and push fit the sparker inside, made it a lot easier to handle.
Yeah, can't imagine my big hands being able to use one of them.

Tadgear's Survival Spark is longer I think, but seems to have had a price increase since last looked.

I was going to mention the Survival Spark as an alternative but got a shock when I priced one from the US. Tad wanted $19 for the spark and $50 USPS shipping.:Wow: :yikes::yikes:.

I do have one of the sparkers but it's certainly not my go to fire starter, if fact it's way down the list. I only bought it for novelty factor really. As like others here I always have multiple way to get a fire going.

One thing thought if you get one on the wheel type sparkers always use the gold replacement flints as they give a much better spark than the usual red ones.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Does look the same doesn't it? Mine has the makers name "SAUNDERS" etched into it.

Agreed it can be a bit fiddly with chilled hands. I did see a nice mod on the net where the guy took a piece of oak dowel and drilled a hole in the end and push fit the sparker inside, made it a lot easier to handle.

I was going to mention the Survival Spark as an alternative but got a shock when I priced one from the US. Tad wanted $19 for the spark and $50 USPS shipping.:Wow: :yikes::yikes:.

I do have one of the sparkers but it's certainly not my go to fire starter, if fact it's way down the list. I only bought it for novelty factor really. As like others here I always have multiple way to get a fire going.

One thing thought if you get one on the wheel type sparkers always use the gold replacement flints as they give a much better spark than the usual red ones.

they are £23 at heinnies

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have a couple of the metal ones, in my case aluminium, stashed in various kits and bags. Works great and I've modded them slightly putting a split ring at the bottom to suspend it. I bought them from eBay but can't remember the seller nor can I find them available on eBay. This is where I first seen them;

http://www.survivalresources.com/Articles/Spark_Lite.html

I've bought from the shop before but of course the exchange rate isn't great at the minute.
As for using it I've had no problems with it and it works well.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE