Spark arrestor on lavvu stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
So I just got a Helsport stove, it has a spark arrestor on top but to me the mesh seems quite course? What sort of spacing is required for an effective spark arrestor? Does anybody have this stove, have you painted it or added a damper or maybe put a rain cap on top? Any info would be good I havent found much searching around the web.

Thanks

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Thats what I'm trying to find out. If it works well then fine but if it can be improved then all the better. Rusting is definitely a problem though which painting with stove paint may solve. So far it does not look super air tight so I though a damper may help it last longer into the night?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
the Kifaru stoves have spark arrestors at the base of the chimney, and these are fairly fine mesh and can be removed for cleaning etc whilst the pipe is in situ. Seems to work fine.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I gave mine a couple of coats of high heat paint from new seemed to stop any rust ,

you could maybe not paint the cooking surface just bake some cooking oil onto it, you can fry on it then

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Thanks very much twodogs. I went over my oven with a wire wheel yesterday but I won't get to spay it and fire it for a little while so I covered it in veg oil until I get chance. Ive seen a few posts of yours where you seem to have the full range of Helsport Lavvus including a trip to oslo where you picked up a lavvu light. Do you not have any of them now? I hope you didn't have any problems with them.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Could anyone post a picture of the Helsport spark-arrestor please, or maybe give a good description with dimentions. I'd like to make one for my Frontier Stove and would really appreciate some tips. Thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You can get fine metal mesh from garden centres for using as fly screens, I reckon a piece of that lining yours would help a bunch.

I've yet to own a lavvu and stove so I'm probably talking gibberish :)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Thanks Bigroomboy, that's the sort of think I had in mind, it looks like it has 1/4 inch holes. The eyelets on the 'official' Frontier one look rather OTT to me, never mind how I'd attach guys when it was three and a half meters up in the air above my Tentipi Saphir 9! I might go that route and just take the eyelets off with an angle grinder though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE