Soy Grits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What are soy grits ? Are they like the gluten free couscous stuff ?

M

I was curios too. Proper grits are milled from hominy (which in turn is made from corn (maize) They're already gluten free unless they're milled or processed on equipment that also processes glutenous products (cross contamination)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been reading. It looks like the soy grits are just coarsely ground soy beans…..though sometimes they're made after the beans are defatted (complex by the looks of it, sometimes heavily industrialised process ) and sometimes they're called Full Fat Soy Grits.
They don't seem to be at all common in the UK.
I found an Austrian company that makes them though :)

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe it's a rejected idea but the nutritional superiority of quinoa grain is where I'd start.
Probably easier to find than soy grits, fish fur, ant's toenails, wing of bat and the like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like quinoa, though no one else in the family's very keen on it.
I grew it one year too. It's an absolute misery to harvest the wee seeds from the spiky plant. Like trying to thresh out fragile teasels :rolleyes: The seeds end up among shattered wee sharp skelfs.
It might well be nutritious but by heavens you have to wonder just how hungry folk were to figure out that it was edible in the first place :dunno:

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bearbait: What's the recipe for "Logan Bread?" Where in BC are you hanging out? I'm 2 hrs west of Jasper on HWY16.

Couple of years back, I found a Quinoa Cookbook. Most recipes the kinds of things I like, even cakes! Made a bunch of things = fun & good eats, too.
Bought 6 or 8 of them for Christmas presents. Turned out, I was the last person in the family to learn about Quinoa!
Got into the habit of using it as a sub for rice in Asian foods.

Leftovers, with some rice flour, egg and baking powder, I can make a flat pan cake that I like, run through the toaster.

I tried to grow amaranth for the grain. Knew it was going to be a PITA to thresh the grain.
Turned out that the plants have very poor stem strength and the wind one night wrecked them all.
I cut the plants off and dropped them over the back alley fence for the deer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried the amaranth too. It was very pretty when in flower, looked fine in the border :) but again, threshing it was a right royal pain.
I freely confess, I just buy the commercially produced grain these days :eek:

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, you're right. Might as well pay for the threshed grain. Pass the money around.

Decades ago, quinoa was almost a subsistence food on the Alto Plano in South America.
As the nutritional superiority got bandied around, demand outpaced supply, leaving the
local people almost unable to pay for food. I've never looked into it but I'd hope that there are others, elsewhere,
growing quinoa which would hold prices for the indigenous growers.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Frankly speaking there is not much nutritional difference between the different seeds.
A few % here or there does not matter if the rest of the diet is "complete".

Quinoa has a slight edge if you are a vegan.

Also do not forget that the nutritional values of a grain varies hugely depending where it is grown, the quality of the soil.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The humble potato is also a super food. It contains what most grains contain, plus the hugely important Vitamin C.

The majority of soy grown in N. America is gen. mod. so I try to eat as little as possible of that stuff.
Choose my tofu to be organic, non gm.

Being a stupid thick headed Swede I do not understand the intricate and subtle benefits of gen. mod. food, so I am waiting for companies like Monsanto to prove to me in a very simple way that gen. mod. is BETTER for me and my beloved Nature than the oldfashioned plants.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....The majority of soy grown in N. America is gen. mod. so I try to eat as little as possible of that stuff.
Choose my tofu to be organic, non gm.

Being a stupid thick headed Swede I do not understand the intricate and subtle benefits of gen. mod. food, so I am waiting for companies like Monsanto to prove to me in a very simple way that gen. mod. is BETTER for me and my beloved Nature than the oldfashioned plants.

That's the problem though. Non GMO and Organic are almost mutually exclusive. Not quite entirely, but almost. The biggest point of genetically modifying crops is to create strains that don't need pesticides or fertilizers.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, you're right. Might as well pay for the threshed grain. Pass the money around.

Decades ago, quinoa was almost a subsistence food on the Alto Plano in South America.
As the nutritional superiority got bandied around, demand outpaced supply, leaving the
local people almost unable to pay for food. I've never looked into it but I'd hope that there are others, elsewhere,
growing quinoa which would hold prices for the indigenous growers.

I lie quinoa a lot. That said, I've shied away from it for the reason you just stated (its wider popularity has made it difficult for indigenous South Americans to feed their families) :(

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Frankly speaking there is not much nutritional difference between the different seeds.
A few % here or there does not matter if the rest of the diet is "complete".

Quinoa has a slight edge if you are a vegan.

Also do not forget that the nutritional values of a grain varies hugely depending where it is grown, the quality of the soil.

If I remember correctly quinoa isn't a true grain; it's a berry.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been reading. It looks like the soy grits are just coarsely ground soy beans…..though sometimes they're made after the beans are defatted (complex by the looks of it, sometimes heavily industrialised process ) and sometimes they're called Full Fat Soy Grits......

SO they're similar to humus?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Potato is useful only if you include the skin and 2mm beneath that.
There isn`t anything wrong with GM foods.

You failed to remind us all of the issue with soft corn, the staple for tortillas in central america.
The corn was inherently poor in the amino acid Lysine.
So, the world`s corn genetics community set about to enhance the lysine content of soft corn.
They were successful. That, essentially, cured a dietary defficiency.
You see, humans can`t make Lysine. It remains one of the essential amino acids needed for protein synthesis.

This is genetically modified food. The denyers can`t stand this. That people can shape the foods they eat to their nutritional benefit.
Look at all the breeds of domesticated livestock animals.
They are all GMO. I don`t care how you might want to slice it but they are GMO.
Maybe it took us 5 thousand years but what you see is what we have. Pigs, sheep, cattle, you name it.

You ever heard of sugar beets, the variety of Beta vulgaris that killed off our temperate zone dependancy on tropical cane sugar.
Hey kids! GMO to the rescue from a North Sea dune plant eaten for it`s greens.
The term, GMO, is bull tweet for what humans have done for 10,000 years or more.

However.
When it is deemed valuable to splice pig genes into a parakeet, I step back.
I don`t need a 500kg flying parapig, crapping in my yard from 200m above me.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Soy grits are coarsely ground, soy flour is finely ground, and about half the price. Unless there is a really compelling reason to use the coarse ground version, use the flour, which has exactly the same content, and save a bunch of money.As Logan bread is just a quick bread, the fine ground will probably bake more easily. If you are using soy grits/flour to be gluten free, I suggest (as does Santaman) cornmeal will be a good substitute, and probably more readily available- the lower protein content can be made up by using ground nuts as part of the recipe, or add whey protein powder.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There you go :D sorted :cool:
I think the grits are a texture thing too though, much like sunflower and linseed, in bread.

Now, we just need a recipe for this "Logan bread", 'cos it sounds interesting :D

M

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Potato is useful only if you include the skin and 2mm beneath that.
There isn`t anything wrong with GM foods.

You failed to remind us all of the issue with soft corn, the staple for tortillas in central america.
The corn was inherently poor in the amino acid Lysine.
So, the world`s corn genetics community set about to enhance the lysine content of soft corn.
They were successful. That, essentially, cured a dietary defficiency.
You see, humans can`t make Lysine. It remains one of the essential amino acids needed for protein synthesis.

This is genetically modified food. The denyers can`t stand this. That people can shape the foods they eat to their nutritional benefit.
Look at all the breeds of domesticated livestock animals.
They are all GMO. I don`t care how you might want to slice it but they are GMO.
Maybe it took us 5 thousand years but what you see is what we have. Pigs, sheep, cattle, you name it.

You ever heard of sugar beets, the variety of Beta vulgaris that killed off our temperate zone dependancy on tropical cane sugar.
Hey kids! GMO to the rescue from a North Sea dune plant eaten for it`s greens.
The term, GMO, is bull tweet for what humans have done for 10,000 years or more.

However.
When it is deemed valuable to splice pig genes into a parakeet, I step back.
I don`t need a 500kg flying parapig, crapping in my yard from 200m above me.

When the expression GMO is talked about it is not referring to traditional selective breeding, but the modern cut and paste tech.
Everything we eat has been selectively bred to what it is.
Non GMO and Organic does not go hand in hand outside North America. Far from it. In Europe the vast majority of food is non GMO due to peoples preference and legislation.

As I do not live there these days I am a little bit outside the loop, but the country I visit often, Norway, does not allow production or even importation of GMO.

The South American population did very well nutritionally for Milennia eating a corn that lacked Lysine as it was supplied by other sources.
Many African people live largely on a Maize porridge with added meat and veg. They too do very well on a Lysine deficient corn. Have done so for 100's of years!

But it was the US livestock industry needed Lysine enhanced corn (maize) as that was the feed of choice. Lack of Lysine makes the calf not grow and build muscle properly.
Again, a problem occuring only in N. America.

The GM work today has one goal, and that goal is not to improve flavour or the nutritional value, but to increase yield at all costs.
Salmon that grow at 400%. Potatoes that survive below zero temperatures. Plants with inbuilt pesticides.

Buy now I trangress.

Quinoa - us eating it makes it fifficult for the indeginous S American population? Quinoa is grown in Spain. Also the S. American agriculture of Quinoa has expanded tremendously and been mechanized. Bad for small farmers with traditional methods, but good for all consumers. Even the indigenous ones.
I believe that they are starting to grow Quinoa in N. America too.

But as I said previously, in a balanced diet you can eat any other seeds.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good to read that quinoa cultivation has spread far and wide.
Seems to be a very broad spectrum of definition for GMO.

Is the transference of frost-hardiness from one crop to another such a bad thing?
For example, moving the frost hardiness of Vitis riparia to Vitis vinifera.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE