SotP Group buy – Norwegian Lavvu tents & stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
There is a group buy being run on SotP for the above. This thread has the details

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

Post here if you are interested. If there enough numbers for this to go ahead I will help to liaise between the two forums even though it is not me that is running it.

I thought there would be too many of you interested not to let you in on it.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
That's okay then, I will put the money aside for this.

To get a Tipi and all the extra's is a real plus point. :D

Have been after a Tipi for ages, a few months ago there was a post about this and I expressed a huge interest and Moonraker provided loads of information about Tipi's etc but sadly I didn't have the funds. :(

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi John,
I am interested but not sure yet which, i've just had a look on SOTP and the link to Beaver tipi's, but still i need of some more specific details of the Tinde and Tundra 3 and 4 eg weight?
Wonder if you might be able to help,
Cheers Magikelly

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I am sooo tempted.
The Tundra 8 would be a smidge too big for my requirements.
Would meanderer over on SotP be flexible on the size of the Tundra's? I would prefer a Tundra 4

Andy

MagiKelly

Jon will be watching this thread and I suggest you keep an eye on the SotP thread. If you look at his last post you will see that he can mix the different sizes of tipis and will be posting indicative prices soon.

When he does I will try to remember to post here pointing it out.

MagiKelly

Prices for different sizes and materials now posted on the SotP thread
SotP Posting said:
As promised, here are the prices for all of the single-pole Lavvu tents from Bison.

The details on the links are jpegs from a brochure but there is info on www.beaver.no (in Norwegian as well) but most of the specs are obvious from the units they're measured in.

First, the Tinde range, ripstop polyester, size, weight etc. details here.

Tinde 3 - £165

Tinde 4 - £180

Tinde 8 - £250

Tinde 16 - £365 recent piccy

Then the Tundra range, 185gsm cotton/polyester, size, weight etc. details here.

Tundra 3 - £190

Tundra 4 - £225

Tundra 8 - £280

Tundra 16 - £405

The steel stove, which is basically 40cm x 40cm x 22cm wide has legs which raise it 10cm and a 5cm stub on top where the flue sits, pictures here and here.

Stove with flue - £185

Heavy duty groundsheets to fit the 3, 4, 8 & 16 ranges are £45, £55, £60 & £70.

These prices are delivered into the UK, duty and VAT paid. I have included a small contingency which covers the as-yet unknown carrier fee and other possibilities. It is always easier to come down a fiver or tenner than go up! UK delivery is then additional at cost – around £10-20 depending on what is ordered is not far wrong for UK mainland.

If you go looking at their website and fancy the 13m diameter, 180kg monster traditional, forget it! It will really mess up my sums!!!

While I've been typing, Budvar asked about leadtime – my friend picked one up from stock recently but I will ask about the general stock situation. I guess it also depends on who wants what...

Again, any queries please PM me or post here. I have checked the links but shout if they give trouble.

Enjoy!!!

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
billycan said:
Is the polyester Tinde suitable for the stove/ fires as well as the tundra?

Cheers
Apparently so
http://webvertical.greit.no/webvertical/Rammeverk/rammeverk3.asp?KID=25&PRID=184&Action=Visprodukter
What an excellent deal magikelly. you are a very good man to offer your services YET AGAIN! :)
Do you think you would need an inner though to stop it raining inside. Don't know much about Lavus. Can i be realy thick and ask if the number4, 8 16 etc equates to the amount of people it sleeps. Also what are the advantages of cotton over nylon with regards to condensation?, Don't think i could afford an inner too.
i think that if i were to buy one i would get the stove too but with your experience in tipis what size would be the minimum for having an open fire albeit a small one?

MagiKelly

Yes you can use the stove in the polyester one. They do say you can have a fire but I would not recommend it.

My current tipi is just over 4m in diameter and that is big enough for a fire in a firebox but it is cotton and I would not want to do the same in a polyester one. I only have experience of the cotton one so cannot comment on the condensation issue. You will see it is discussed a bit on the SotP thread and that cotton is better than poly but that the poly should still be okay with a ground sheet and an eye on ventilation.

Also much as I would like to take credit for the work on this I am not running the group buy. I am just a messages passing the information over here from the buy on SotP and I will pass the information back as well. It is not me who will be placing the order or sending out a big bunch of tipis and stoves.

meanderer

Nov 2, 2006
yonder
Hi peeps

Meanderer here, joined up so MagiKelly and I don't have to exchange PMs or emails many times per day!

Any questions on the group buy - first try the SotP thread, then ask away. I'm going to give it another week or so to give it the best chance of achieving sufficient numbers.

Enjoy!!!

Jon

meanderer

Nov 2, 2006
yonder
You'd have to ask MagiKelly whether he uses an inner liner...

Personally I wouldn't, but then I'm going to have a stove :)

Also, I'm not at all sure that inners are an option from Bison - unfortunately my Norwegian isn't what it should be!

Some kind of groundsheet is needed really, but a B&Q cheapie will do the trick - especially if you use a firebox/open fire! The ones supplied are not cheap but lay nice and flat and fit the shape of the Lavvu.

The numbers are indeed sleeping counts - would be pretty cosy mind, the 8 & 16 have you laid out radially with your toes near the stove and a gap where the door is.

Cheers

Jon

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi, well done for organising this Jon (meanderer) :You_Rock_
Very keen on Tundra 4, will confirm soon.
Are the groundsheets the same i.e hexagonal and do the clip in somehow? If you were using a fire box/stove would the legs keep the stove high enough from the groundsheet for safety reasons etc. I was thinking maybe half a ground sheet or sheeted area for sleeping etc while stove in middle on un groundsheeted area.
Also what is the arrangement round the skirt of the tipi, where it meets the ground? Does it just peg down or is there an extra small material flap to turn in like some of the other tipi's.

Thanks

Billycan

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
great that this is being organised, altough I'll probably won't fit in as I'm in Belgium? Maybe postage would be just too much.

I also miss the inner tents. Is noone taking them so far?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE