SOS Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
My plans for the summer have been hit by a wildcat strike - my local Aga owners (parents) have refused to let me use it as a dehydrator. My (recently vege) flatmate refuses to let me dehydrate food in our flat either. My only feasible option (given I have to dehydrate 56 very large meals) seems therefore to buy pre-dried food. Can anyone suggest anything suitable? It's for a main meal, and needs to be about 2000-2500kcal. It's not really important to vary it too much - just important that it's fairly cheap, light, and appropriate for a heated meal.
Any suggestions at all are most welcome!
Cheers
Chris :)

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Supernoodles, peperami ( or similar ) dried tomatoes and dried mushrooms.

Flapjacks for afters.

Or, and bear with me here, 'Flatmate jerky' is very popular, and in your case will solve two problems in one

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Thanks Dave, but my flatmate won't let me dehydrate anything because he doesn't like the smell (yes he is a bit effeminate). Plus those are rather pricey :eek:
Freeze-drying is an interesting idea - how does it work?

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I'd buy a dehydrator...and get your flatmate a peg for his nose if he can't stand the smell. Do proper dehydrators even make a smell at all?

Even if you can get your prepacked freeze-dried or dehydrated food for £2.50 a meal, it'll still cost you £140 for 56 meals, which is more than a dehydrator. Obviously you need to buy the raw ingredients for the meals which is costly and time-consuming but long-term a far better idea.

Another tip I learnt a while back, mix meal-replacement powders like slim-fast or preferably a bodybuilding specific make into your puddings to give extra protein, carbs and energy. I really noticed the extra energy and stamina after a few weeks hard trekking. Unless you can get an unflavoured version, dont try to mix them with your main meals coz caserole and strawberry milkshake really dont go. The added fibre in some helps avoid that set concrete in your belly feeling by keeping you a bit more regular....

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
arctic hobo said:
My plans for the summer have been hit by a wildcat strike - my local Aga owners (parents) have refused to let me use it as a dehydrator. My (recently vege) flatmate refuses to let me dehydrate food in our flat either. My only feasible option (given I have to dehydrate 56 very large meals) seems therefore to buy pre-dried food. Can anyone suggest anything suitable? It's for a main meal, and needs to be about 2000-2500kcal. It's not really important to vary it too much - just important that it's fairly cheap, light, and appropriate for a heated meal.
Any suggestions at all are most welcome!
Cheers
Chris :)

Lateral thinking - will your parents host a dehydrator if they need the Aga for cooking on or somesuch other unreasonable use? :D

Alternatively, will they make room in the Aga for your flatmate? :eek:

Jim.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
TwoFourAlpha said:
Supernoodles, peperami ( or similar ) dried tomatoes and dried mushrooms.

Flapjacks for afters.

Or, and bear with me here, 'Flatmate jerky' is very popular, and in your case will solve two problems in one

Flapjacks are good, trouble with supernoodles, they contain next to nothing in worthwhile nutritional value.

For the price of that many dried meals, you could send your parents away for a day/weekend and just happen to gain use of the Aga while they're away??? Just a thought :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm afraid that dehydrating just isn't an option - my parents are going on holiday and unless I break in :eek: I can't do it.
I've looked at beanfeast and supernoodles etc, the trouble is they are so full of nothing they contain very little energy - for example a beanfeast that "serves 2" supplies only 316kcal!
What I'm looking for is some slightly less run of the mill suggestions - pasta, cous cous and rice are fine as light dry carbs, but in terms of dried protein and fat?
Has anyone used those expanding beefsteaks? Or is it possible to rehydrate jerky? Anything along the meat and vegetables line would be most helpful.
Nick your suggestion is a good one - I do in fact regularly mix creatine monohydrate with my meals, and occasionally glutamine - it provides quite a performance boost and the glutamine aids recovery after a hard day. Not to mention iron and vitamin C supplements (we're talking 30 miles a day with about 30kg on our backs so care of the body is most important) :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Can you not do it over an open fire somewhere? I'm not 100% on the method as I've never tried it, but I believe it is mentioned in a Mears book, and doubtless somebody on this forum will know exactly how to do it. Also, could you possibly do it over a barbie? Don't use too many coals, and hang the meat high up enough, maybe it would work. Like I say, I'm no expert. Also, could you smoke the meat to preserve it? Maybe somebody will know more about it, I hope my few suggestions may spark an idea somewhere!! Either that, or ask the forum members to have a meat dehydrating cook off!!!

Good Luck!!

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I use TVP - Soya protein chunks from Holland and Barrett. Only 1.50ish for a 400g bag. Rehydrated it makes about 1.5kg

100g gives you 345KCal 50g protein and 38g carbs - I tend to carry 2 shot spice mixes in file canisters and some stock cubes to mix it abit.. Not sure if it'll meet your carb needs though..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Buy sosmix and burgamix. These are already dried, contain fat and they are excellent for adding extras to. Take dried potatoes and you have sausage and mash. Birds sell instant custard, add hot water and stir in some chopped dried apples or apricots and you have pudding.
All of these can be high in calories, and are filling, comfort foods, but still very light and relatively cheap. However one can get very tired of dried food. There are jars of dried, fried onions available for sprinking through salads, these are tasty through potatos/couscous/quinoa or mashed spuds and weigh very little. High in calories though. My bother (sorry, brother :rolleyes: ) takes little tins of oily fish like mackeral; he claims it's tasty, rich in protein and calories too. Chinese supermarkets sell these dried and sealed in plastic so they weigh next to nothing and they're cheap. I noticed yesterday that they have dried pork and chicken too.
Personally, as a vegetarian, I always carry lots of nuts and I like Quinoa which is a complete protein in it's own right. Cashew nuts and almonds are both excellent to cook with. Things like cereals are still tasty, so's popcorn and a few grains can go along way and it cooks quickly on a fire or stove. I like oats and muesli too for munchies.
I find I always dry too much food and the compost heaps get regular donations, I can't offer meat, but I do have extra mushrooms if you'd like them.
Best of luck with it all,
Cheers,
Toddy

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
The only high calorie dried foods I can think of that are also very light are dried banana, apricots, and apple.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Toddy said:
I like Quinoa which is a complete protein in it's own right.

Can you get Quinoa that doesn't require washing before use? The stuff I've used comes with instructions to wash it (like some do with rice), prior to cooking to remove any residue of the saponins that coat the 'grain'.

red

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Chris,
Get yourself down to Lidl's, they do short simmer pasta meals, have the right amount of calories and weigh vitually nothing. They have four different varieties so it makes your menus a little more interesting and at this time of year there is plenty of fresh stuff about to supplement them.
Because they are short simmer they will also give you a fuel saving (less wieght to carry) and they provide something tasty, warm, filling & quick at the end of a long, hard day carrying all the kit you are going to need for 56 days on the hill.
Neil

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just thought about another old method of preserving food, salting. Has anybody any experience in this and if so, could you shed a bit of light on the process, or is it really as simple as chucking a ton of salt on a bit of pork?!!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
A lot of good suggestions - thanks! Neil I will nip up to Lidl's today and have a nose around, sounds good. I didn't make it clear - I should have said, it's four peoples meals for 14 days, rather than 56 days... now that would be quite a trip :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
spamel said:
Just thought about another old method of preserving food, salting. Has anybody any experience in this and if so, could you shed a bit of light on the process, or is it really as simple as chucking a ton of salt on a bit of pork?!!

I have, but to make the food edible afterwards is something else again!
The ratio of salt to saltpetre for brine is 10:1.....10kgs salt, 5kgs saltpetre and 50 litres of water. It's really only worth it if you have an entire cow to pickle :rolleyes:

The saltpetre method for sausages is a much better method than brine.
http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Saltpetre__500_grammes.html
They do an excellent bacon cure too.....and they sell in small quantities if required :)

Should have thought of this other link too for dried foods.
http://www.spiceworld.uk.com/

Cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Spamel, Toddy,
A farmer friend of mine slaughters pigs for his own consumption and dry salts them, nowhere near the 5kg to 10kg salt you mention. Maybe 2kgs max. I've seen 18 hams hanging in his parlour that it would be difficult to reach around one of them. Given a few weeks of this treatment, he'll then hacksaw off a lump and slice it into thick rashers and then cook it in the oven of his Aga till its crispy - it melts in your mouth and a few rashers for breakfast is good to keep you going on the farm untill a cuppa at mid afternoon. Much more nourishing than a bowl of soggy rabbit food.

Boy am I feeling hungry right now!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE