Sore Hand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi All,

Im pretty new to this hobby and am getting to grips with what I consider to be basic tasks (feather sticks for example). However ive noticed that when using my Frost's Clipper I get a really sore hand - almost blistered.

Am I alone here?
Is this normal?
Or is it the knife design (plastic / rubber grippy handle)?
Would a wooden handled knife be kinder?

Thanks in advance...

ATB, Jon.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't over do it. If you're developing blisters, then calm it for a day or two. Once you feel hot spots developing in future, it's time to quit for the day. over time, your hands will toughen up to it. If you find your hands are sweaty when working, try wrapping some fabric tape around the handle to give you more grip. I'd imagine the self sticking bandages would be good, or lots of micropore tape.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spams right, your hand's will toughen up over time, assuming of course you don't already have fairly tough hands to start with.

When I think of the amount of time and effort, including sore hands!, I have wasted over the years, with poor knife technique, It wasn't until our course with Robin Wood last weekend that I realised where I was going wrong. I wasn't alone, everyone on the course felt the same way.

Working efficiently with your knife makes a heck of a difference, unfortunately; while I can now use my tools efficiently, I can't yet describe how to do it, at least writing it down! sorry:eek:
Mind you, if you have a look at the video that Doctor Spoon ( Nicola Wood) put on youtube, you can gain some useful tips from that;)
Check out: "Chop Well?" in diy&crafts

best wishes
R.B.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
For me, I've always found rubberized grips to be uncomfortable. You could also be choking the handle - experiment with a slightly lighter grip pressure, but please don't slice yourself open with that advice.

One other thing you can do when you start to feel "hot spots" on your hands is to vigorously clap them together a bit...almost to the point of making them sting. This can help to increase circulation and prevent a blister from forming.

Another common place to get blisters forming is on the index finger if it is resting up against the guard. try backing your hand off that guard a bit, and see that your control of the blade really isn't reduced at all.

Let us know how that works for you.

Cheers,
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE