Something for the plinkers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I just picked up a new c02 air pistol for some back garden plinking, I know there are a few enthusiast on here and thought I would show it off.

Colt 45 single action army more commonly known as the peacemaker.
Powered by 12g c02 capsules and uses hollow brass cartridges to hold a single bb.

I have shot airguns for many years and been fortunate enough to shoot a fair number of live pistols overseas and this without doubt the most realistic looking and feeling air pistol I have ever used.
For those into this kind of thing the sound and feel of the hammer being cocked is a joy to behold.

31ea0e7b75b529ca001c03636c91e9bb.jpg

11d6260bad7c081e39788682e4b9999a.jpg

e35c417a9999d54472550859b6e45fb5.jpg

61f675f888a5b99cd6d86fd3720833b7.jpg

I have always wanted a vintage style pistol and having bought this I am quite keen on learning things like the fast draw and maybe some basic gun twirling (billy the kid in the making).
Are any of our fine upstanding members here involved with this kind of thing that can offer any tips or point me in the direction of any useful resources.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have always wanted a vintage style pistol and having bought this I am quite keen on learning things like the fast draw and maybe some basic gun twirling (billy the kid in the making)..

Cheers, Hamster

Billy used a Colt 44 or Colt 41....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Billy used a Colt 44 or Colt 41....

Apparently he used quite a few guns:

"What kind of gun did Billy the Kid use? A: [h=3]Quick Answer[/h] Billy the Kid is known to have used a 45-caliber Colt Model 1873 Army revolver and a Winchester rifle model 1873. These guns appear in the only known photograph of Billy the Kid, leaving no doubt he used them.
Continue Reading

[h=2]Keep Learning[/h]

[h=3]Full Answer[/h] It is also believed that Billy used a Colt Thunderer 41-caliber double-action revolver, as well as a Smith & Wesson Schofield in 45-caliber. The Colt 1873 revolver was in his hands when he was killed in a gunfight in Alabama and was auctioned off at that time for $13.50. As of 2014, the gun has not been recovered. It is likely that he owned many other guns during his short life."

Trotsky

I guess this is the way they've come up with getting around the ban on the old Brocock cartridge system. I wonder how long it will last before some know nothing politician thinks they're fit for conversion to live fire and brings out the ban hammer again.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I just picked up a new c02 air pistol for some back garden plinking, I know there are a few enthusiast on here and thought I would show it off.

Very nice, I've been looking at these type of guns myself as a cheaper way of practicing. How accurate would you say they are at 10m or longer?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I guess this is the way they've come up with getting around the ban on the old Brocock cartridge system. I wonder how long it will last before some know nothing politician thinks they're fit for conversion to live fire and brings out the ban hammer again.

I had one of the brocock TAC revolvers before the ban and shamefully sold it off to an unwary friend shortly after finding out they were soon to become illegal, to be fair he kept it for a few years after that for garden use before disposing of it.

These new ones have the look and feel of a "live" pistol and are a good simulation for firing and reloading a revolver imo but can get a bit frustrating after a long session with the constant reloading.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Very nice, I've been looking at these type of guns myself as a cheaper way of practicing. How accurate would you say they are at 10m or longer?

To be honest accuracy is not great as they are smooth bore firing rounds steel bb's

Due to space limitations I am shooting at 15 - 20 feet and groupings are all over the place on paper targets but I am able to hit a Coke can consistently with aimed shots.

They also do a pellet version with a rifled barrel which I am considering which is said to be much more accurate.

Not looking to compete in any type of competitions but would like to be able to get to a point where I can draw, aim and hit a target quickly and consistently - one of those odd skills I have always wanted to learn.

Trotsky

To be honest accuracy is not great as they are smooth bore firing rounds steel bb's

Due to space limitations I am shooting at 15 - 20 feet and groupings are all over the place on paper targets but I am able to hit a Coke can consistently with aimed shots.

They also do a pellet version with a rifled barrel which I am considering which is said to be much more accurate.

Not looking to compete in any type of competitions but would like to be able to get to a point where I can draw, aim and hit a target quickly and consistently - one of those odd skills I have always wanted to learn.

You might find the lead BBs a little better, Gamo made some last I knew, they're not undersized like the steel ones are so rather than bouncing down the barrel and going where you least expect they fly somewhat straighter. I was recommended them for my CO2 Makarov many moons ago.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The gun looks great and sounds a lot of fun :)
I would be drawn to one myself if I had the money... Western stlye guns have a real attraction...

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I decided to get some new clothes for the colt and found a leather maker on evilbay who makes to order.

2fd622f5657c25a0dd046625907c7d94.jpg

f6ba602dcc07064b2121aa3ca9c6d82c.jpg

At £23 it worth worth a punt and very pleased with it, belt is my own but holster was very well made with lovely stitching.

Any of our leather aficionados on here make gun rigs???

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A pleasure I allow myself in our wood is to wear an old toy holster with my Original .177 air pistol in it. Drawing and shooting is fun. Admittedly it has a very limited range and recoil but I do wonder why people claim pistols as inaccurate.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
A pleasure I allow myself in our wood is to wear an old toy holster with my Original .177 air pistol in it. Drawing and shooting is fun. Admittedly it has a very limited range and recoil but I do wonder why people claim pistols as inaccurate.

I completely agree, seeing as this one is a steel BB version i have set up a soft backdrop in my workshop with some paper targets and am happily plinking away.
Have been trying out my "quick" draw which is anything but though I am getting a little better.

For a BB it is actually surprisingly accurate at around 15ft up to the size of a Coke can.
I am desperately trying to convince myself that I don't need the .177 pellet version with the rifled barrel.
I know I don't need it but feel I owe it to science to compare the accuracy. 😏

I think the next step now is to get a full on holster rig, it would be rude not to look the part.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
The gun looks great and sounds a lot of fun :)
I would be drawn to one myself if I had the money... Western stlye guns have a real attraction...

I totally agree John, the interesting thing is that since getting it I have been looking a bit more in to the historical side and although it makes sense I didn't realise how much Hollywood has influenced our perception of the old west.
There were documented examples of duels and such like but generally the idea of quick draw and showdowns were very rare and being able to draw and shoot quickly were not ideas that occurred until the 1920/30's when cowboy films came about.

Two very interesting facts I have stumbled across are that shoulder holster a were in semi common use from around the 1880,s and the term "quick on the draw" referred not to someone who could whip out their gun quickly but to someone who was quick to anger and draw their weapon as slight provocations.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, I practice and compete, but with guns ( revolver and semi auto) that contain real cartriges, but the rules are the same.

Never have a revolver in a holster with the hammer cocked.

Practice the speed draw "dry" for hours and hours. When starting to practice "hot" have the first chamber empty, untill you can do the draw without thinking.

Learn to have the trigger finger resting on the frame above the trigger firmly while moving the gun into position and only placing it on the trigger when it is stationary, pointing on the target.

Want to hit the target? Never "shoot from the hip". Hollywood invented that. Looks good on film, but you miss a human size target over 10 meters.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well, I practice and compete, but with guns ( revolver and semi auto) that contain real cartriges, but the rules are the same.

Never have a revolver in a holster with the hammer cocked.

Practice the speed draw "dry" for hours and hours. When starting to practice "hot" have the first chamber empty, untill you can do the draw without thinking.

Learn to have the trigger finger resting on the frame above the trigger firmly while moving the gun into position and only placing it on the trigger when it is stationary, pointing on the target.

Want to hit the target? Never "shoot from the hip". Hollywood invented that. Looks good on film, but you miss a human size target over 10 meters.

Been doing lots of dry practice, to the point I am taking a break tomorrow as I have pain in muscles in my hand a didn't know I had. 😅

I am trying for a fast and fluid draw and to end up in a fully extended arm with my sights on target 🎯

Am trying to cock the hammer as part of the draw and can see how that could pose a danger with live ammunition, less so with BB's but still no reason to get sloppy with safety.
Sad I know but I have also been trying a bit of twirling and jeez it is harder than it looks.

Interestingly I also recently read that most pistol carriers used to carry with only 5 rounds loaded and the hammer over the empty chamber to prevent the risk of accidental discharges.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Been doing lots of dry practice, to the point I am taking a break tomorrow as I have pain in muscles in my hand a didn't know I had. ��

I am trying for a fast and fluid draw and to end up in a fully extended arm with my sights on target ��

Am trying to cock the hammer as part of the draw and can see how that could pose a danger with live ammunition, less so with BB's but still no reason to get sloppy with safety.
Sad I know but I have also been trying a bit of twirling and jeez it is harder than it looks.

Interestingly I also recently read that most pistol carriers used to carry with only 5 rounds loaded and the hammer over the empty chamber to prevent the risk of accidental discharges.

The only way to do a fast and accurate shot is like this: draw and move the gun fairly close to the midline of your body where you meet your left hand. Move the hands gripping the gun up and out into the sightline, ending with semi stretched out arms.
You can cock the gun as soon as your left hand grips around your right hand ( -holding the gun) with the left thumb.
Point away from your body at all times.

Yes, they only loaded 5 chambers as a blow on the hammer spur ( hammer in resting position) would fire off a shot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Interestingly I also recently read that most pistol carriers used to carry with only 5 rounds loaded and the hammer over the empty chamber to prevent the risk of accidental discharges......

.....Yes, they only loaded 5 chambers as a blow on the hammer spur ( hammer in resting position) would fire off a shot.

Yeah. That was the standard procedure with the old single action styles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE