Some odd hardy tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2011
United States
If this is in the wrong section I'm sorry :p
I bought a set of hardy tools from an antique shop a while ago, all the tools are quite old. There was one which I had never seen before, could any of you tell me what it is? :confused:
Some pictures,
Tagthesepicturesoptional856.jpg

As you can see there are two holes going all the way through. They don't intersect.
Tagthesepicturesoptional857.jpg

It appears to have been used as a 'cutting board' for chisels...
Tagthesepicturesoptional860.jpg

I don't know what it is, can someone help?:confused:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I haven't a clue :(
The thing with old blacksmiths, is that they were/are a very resourceful bunch. That tool looks like it has been modified for a particular purpose in order to make a repetitive task simpler and quicker for the smith. I dare say it was for bending or even holding a workpiece parallel to the face?

I have a few tools that I've picked up over the years that I have absolutely no idea what they were used for. The techniques and methods they were made for probably died with the blacksmith that made them.

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
The bottom bit fit's into the square hole on an anvil.
So it's some sort of blacksmithing tool.
As for what use it's put to I can only guess.
Probably some sort of bending jig, the stripe's at the base of the larger lump, look like it's been used as an end stop, eg. you put your work against it and bash the other end.

Or perhaps not !

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
My guess is that its some sort of steady so a work piece can be held while you work on it on the anvil table...The little divot on the top is for rivetting.Looks like the top has been used for cutting on.
Im guessing it had a specific use for something like agricultural parts or wagon parts.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I reckon the two holes in the sides are to put two different diameters of bar into so they could bend them.
I have a vice with holes that perform the same function.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
its an anvil peg, looks like its been used for cutting off flat at some stage by the chisel marks on top, probably made by a smithy for a purpose ive got some i made that i used for specific jobs with all sorts of gear welded to the top, interesting that, table dogs are round and look like a bent hair pin usually..

May 24, 2011
United States
Thanks guys! All the opinions are interesting.
I might add that the set of tools came from the same smith and it had a turning fork, so that makes turning an odd guess...
I may find a use for it some time, which will become it's new use ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE