some not-so-lovely grub...

as already mentioned in a recent thread: i;m currently in the tropical northern part of the best and most beautiful counrty on earth(=australia!)

recently i got some little (freshwater) perch out of a dam on one of my fishing trips and cooked them over the fire. 2were allright but the other two had some disgusting-looking worms living in their flesh :eek: (i threw them out!!!); same colour as earthworms, ca.1mm thick and about 2inches long(sorry, no photos- no camera at hand+still have'nt figured out how to post pics...). a friend reckons thet might be hookworms- i'm sure they were dead as the fish was well-cooked, but you knever know... . does anybody know ho to find out if you have those critters inside you as well(in case some eggs have survived) and how to get rid of them?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Can't give you specific help on the fish or the worms you are dealing with but most fish species can have worms and to be honest most large (older) fish do have worms. Atlantic Cod and others in the cod family often have worms that you only see if you cut them open when the fish is very very fresh. Most people don't even know they are there and just cook and eat the whole lot (you have to, there's no way you could remove them). But in cod the worms are very fine and usually the same colour as the flesh.

I suspect (but no liability accepted :)) that once you've cooked them they'll be fine - just don't serve up a sushi :D.

Sorry, can't be of more help.

Cheers,

Broch

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Forrestdweller

Sounds like Eustrongyloides

fish parasite pdf

according to this site below, they're not harmful to humans (look at the entry for Elingamite Lake)

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/angling/35-Otway/Basin TEMPLATE Waters.htm
It's hard to say for sure without having a look at them, but it sounds like Nitrambur is on the right track.

We have this parasite in a few local dams & streams that have been spread by shags.

If it is Eustrongyloides, make sure the fish is cooked through. Using a fork to break up the flesh makes it easier to find them all and remove them before eating the flesh (it is safe to eat it :) )

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE