Some like it hot (this post is "NOT FOR SISSIES!")

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
SWIMBO is Hot stuff & addicted, to this web site

thechillijamman.com

her go to chilies is the carolina reaper she says "it's not her favourite but it is bloody good & just as hot coming out as it is going in" It's off the chart
2.2 million scoville

33914182410_d77e2814fd_z.jpg

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
IMG_2591_zpsmpaslpon.jpg

I grew grew a few last year as Madam is a chilli freak. She put a whole one into a curry (for one, I'm not stupid). First time I've seen her in a bit of trouble. ;)

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Truth be known I like my chili heat... just only a little hotter than spicy a bit more than cosy...
So here's the deal take a small jar of reaper with you on a camping trip, use only very very small quantities eg 2 grains of rice size amount on the end of a spoon that's about my taste, so you aren't going to run out, easily enough for the whole trip in one tiny jar... & you can pass it round to be sociable & still have plenty left over...

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :)

Thing is, he usually is right :rolleyes: :D
I reckon he makes the best tablet in Lanarkshire, and the chilli stuff was very good…the first batch was mellow and flavour with a sugary rush and a heat too, the second batch was a bit too hot….think cartoon steam out of the ears too hot!

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Those little purple and red ones in the middle are called Loco. I was led to believe it's because it's a trailing plant and grows outwards, suitable for outside in the sun. Not so, it is loco hot.:p

Out of 6 seed types, we ended up with 42 plants, so friends and neighbours got chilli plant gifts. All in we produced over 150 chillis. Everyone got a big bottle of garlic and chilli oil for Christmas, it's hot as hell.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
They do somewhat yes, but you can smoke them for an interesting flavour. The hotter ones still kick out some heat, you just have to find the right balance for your own tastes.

I suppose that makes my " I find they loose some of their heat as/when they become dried out?" comment somewhat moot then

Doh!

Are those bird eye chilies top rh corner & bottom lh corner?

Last edited:

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
IMG_2591_zpsmpaslpon.jpg

I grew grew a few last year as Madam is a chilli freak. She put a whole one into a curry (for one, I'm not stupid). First time I've seen her in a bit of trouble. ;)

Seeing this bowl of delight makes me slightly jealous, Have around 20 Thai Chilli and 3 Jalapeño plants waiting to hit the greenhouse, was a little disappointed though as the few Trinidad Scorpion seeds I had did not germinate.

Anyone up for a seed trade?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Top right is a plant called Summer of Fire, the chillis grow up vertically looking like fire. More fleshy than Birs Eye, good for most things. Hot but not silly. The others are Tongues of Fire, similar really.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jalapenos here in the store very uneven heat. Mild ones, fine sliced in a fresh BBQ burger, are really good = savory, not hot-hot.
Best Pasilla pepper for chili rellenos for me is the Anaheim variety. Big enough for lots of filling.
Warm and just plain good to eat.

The Agriculture Canada Research Station in Summerland, BC has an annual raw chili pepper eating contest.
Each contestant adds their "sample" to a wash tub. All those get mixed together and the judges hand out platefuls.
My sphincters convulse just thinking arout it.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
A friend used to grow Dorset Naga chillies, hilarious watching his sons and their mates having a raw chilli competition and him sneaking a few of those into the mix.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Are those bird eye chilies top rh corner & bottom lh corner?

Top right is a plant called Summer of Fire, the chillis grow up vertically looking like fire. More fleshy than Birs Eye, good for most things. Hot but not silly. The others are Tongues of Fire, similar really.

In the picture they look like cayenne peppers. Then you mentioned that they grow up instead. I'd love to see that!

Jalapenos here in the store very uneven heat....

Same here, except for the Tobasco peppers (which are just red jalepenos)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tabasco sauces are so consistent, they must do some blending. The effects are so predictable.
Trad or Jalapeno or Chipotle, I've made notes how much I like. Jalapeno, I buy 3-4 bottles at a time.
I get fussy company from time to time. They know the McIlhenny sauce is in there but I won't melt their eyebrows.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tobasco grows their own peppers so that makes it a bit easier: all grown on the same soils, the same climate, the same cultivar line for over a century, same process, same aging of the mash for three years, etc. At least until fairly recently. Now they still grow the master seed plants (and a good deal of the production peppers) on Avery Island but do ship seed to a few select farms in Central/South America.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE