Some leather drinking vessels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've been doing a bit of a photo shoot today to update some of the stock pictures of my wares, and particularly liked this one.

I think I may call this the Grandfather, Father, Son collection.

IMG_3996_zps101a53b2.jpg

I make need to take the ones that I use into the garden a bit later and test them!

Geoff

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nice work, they're really neat.

Keep meaning to make a couple of those (father)cups. Must bump it up the to-do list.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Very nice work. How do you get them "drink proof"?

They are dipped in molten beeswax, which impregnates the leather. This was the method generally used up to the mid-1400s, but after that they tended to line the vessel with boiled pine pitch. I have tried this latter with the modern equivalent (Brewer's Pitch) but don't like the tarry smell and apparent taste that it seems to impart. Beeswax is much nicer.

Geoff

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
They are dipped in molten beeswax, which impregnates the leather. This was the method generally used up to the mid-1400s, but after that they tended to line the vessel with boiled pine pitch. I have tried this latter with the modern equivalent (Brewer's Pitch) but don't like the tarry smell and apparent taste that it seems to impart. Beeswax is much nicer.

Geoff
Thanks for the info

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire

Geoff
the beer tankard I have is like that. Must admit to not noticing any taste/smell, but it's a sod when you put it on the draining board upside down to dry and it sticks to the board lol.
They look really nice. Surprised that the insides do not look 'smooth'
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE