Some kind of umbellifer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've noticed a new plant springing up around my area, in the south east. Unfortunately I can't post pictures. But it looks like cow parsley in terms of leaf structure. It has the grooved 'celery' like stalk that cow parsley has. No flowers of any kind, at least not yet.
But I thought cow parsley sprouted in the spring? Can it ever sprout in September? It could be something entirely different of course.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Cow Parsley is usually the first of the umbellifers to come out and flower in the UK so it's unlikely to be Cow Parsley IMO. However, there are a few plants around here showing 'spring like' behaviour so I suppose it's not totally impossible.

The stem of Cow Parsley is slightly 'downy', occasionally turning purple, and is hollow. The leaf stalk has a sheath where it joins the stem. Without flowers (and bracts) that's the only diagnostic I have.

As I'm sure you're aware, the umbellifers include some of the UK's most deadly poisonous plants, so handle with care until you are sure.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As Cow Parsley is an biannual or short lived perennial I would expect it to be growing now, and then dying down a little depending on the winter, and regrowing to flower in spring.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If by 'growing now' you mean a few leaves above ground I agree with you but it does not develop 'celery like' rigged stems until April typically. I have quite a lot here around the house and it is literally just a few feathery leaves at ground level.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I understand that Hemlock smells different from Cow Parsley. Though never tested that, the only use I have ever had with Cow Parsley is shooting lingon berries.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hemlock (Conium maculatum) is not the only poisonous umbellifer in the UK but. yes, crushed Conium maculatum leaves smell of mouse pee.

However, Conium maculatum stems are hollow, ridged, with purple spots (but hairless) and children have died using them as pea shooters.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've noticed a new plant springing up around my area, in the south east. Unfortunately I can't post pictures. But it looks like cow parsley in terms of leaf structure. It has the grooved 'celery' like stalk that cow parsley has. No flowers of any kind, at least not yet.
But I thought cow parsley sprouted in the spring? Can it ever sprout in September? It could be something entirely different of course.

A pic would really help. No phone camera?

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've got photos but I've never figured out how to post them on the forum. The stems are definitely hollow.
But it certainly doesn't smell unpleasant.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think maybe you don’t have an Attach Files at the bottom of the message box.
On other forums I use Postimage, it’s pretty easy and you don’t need to sign up.

If you want you can send them to my email and I’ll do it. Seems to be my day for sorting out pics :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The closest I can think of is Hemlock Water Dropwort, but I'm not sure. Is it growing near water or in a very wet place?

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
It's not the right environment for water dropworts. It's in a patch of woodland near a road, relatively dry. It may not be an umbellifer, but other than herb Robert - which it isn't - I can't find another contender. I've been studying umbellifers in detail for two years now and I still get stumped. But these are young shoots so will always be tricky.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Looks a bit like the celery that self seeded in our garden

Obviously not that if it's just appearing though, just saying how difficult it is to wok out from a leaf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE