Some Hex 3 questions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Get it where you can, save money where you can, all my stuff from the states is "used camping equipment" from a friend:cool:

My latest was a large stainless steel coffee perculator, with post it came in at £12, ideal for use with a stove or open fire

Had a midnight breakfast tonight, lit up on my out the back 'Test Pad'

Oct 6, 2006
Yorkshire
I've just returned from a hiking trip in Wales with my Hex 3 and for the first time water got into the tent through one of the vents.

I'd pitched at Llyn-y-Foel in extremely strong winds and light rain, but sometime in the night the wind direction changed which caused rain to be pushed up through one of the vents. I found the tent pole was wet and many droplets of water had landed on my sleeping bag. I think that had I been using the inner it may not have ingressed as much into the tent, but I'm now going to investigate ways I can solve this issue as I do love the headroom in the Hex and don't bother with the inner at altitude.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
My main problem with the Hex 3 is not lack of a porch (although is frustrating in bad weather), but the lack of a footprint for it.

I carry a separate groundsheet (Highlander thingy) which of course is rectangular and so too big one way, but too little the other and has to be folded under.

This often comes out from under the tent though and when it lashes down, but puddles develop under the tent collected on the groundsheet.

:(

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
My main problem with the Hex 3 is not lack of a porch (although is frustrating in bad weather), but the lack of a footprint for it.

I carry a separate groundsheet (Highlander thingy) which of course is rectangular and so too big one way, but too little the other and has to be folded under.

This often comes out from under the tent though and when it lashes down, but puddles develop under the tent collected on the groundsheet.

:(

How about cutting it to shape? or better still, just cut a bit of polythene sheet if you really think you need a footprint

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
How about cutting it to shape? or better still, just cut a bit of polythene sheet if you really think you need a footprint

Was just about to do that tonight with a new cheapy tarp sheet thing, but I don't think it's wide enough.

If the Hex 3 was a square, what size would it be? 8'x8'? I did find out once, but can't remember now.

And if I were to cut it to shape, which I plan to do once I get it wide enough, I think it would fray as it's only the woven type material. I suppose I could burn the edges to seal it though!

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
it would fray as it's only the woven type material. I suppose I could burn the edges to seal it though!

yup, if you can get hold of a hot knife to cut and seal in one go that's great. Otherwise using a straight edge and a soldering iron works too.

Oct 6, 2006
Yorkshire
For a ground sheet I use a really thin polythene sheet, which I fold into two (spare material incase of tears). When packed down this sheet could very nearly fit in my trouser pocket and is really light.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think the floor for the Golite Shangri-la 3 is fine to use with a Hex 3, email Golite to confirm (they are very quick to answer questions)

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I think the floor for the Golite Shangri-la 3 is fine to use with a Hex 3, email Golite to confirm (they are very quick to answer questions)

I already use the inner with the shelter, but I always thought you'd need something more to protect it from wet and thorns on forest carpets?

Podcast Bob

Just thought I would let people reading this thread know that we are shortly expecting stock of the a 'half-hex' floor which I've designed to fit the Hex/SL3. Cut to shape, 2/3rd of width floor coverage, can be rotated to suit the angle on entry. Not bath tub, but with flat edges and available in two weights.

I found the flexibility of having an area to cook on etc and sort wet kit out to be ideal on the last Cape Wrath trip I did in May.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product367.asp

Jan 22, 2006
uk
hey, Podcast Bob!

enjoyed the podcasts for a few years now, so much good info.

my fave advice was from a Chris Townsend Q&A
PB: What do you look for most of all in tent placement?
CT: a beautiful view when i first poke my head out!

love it.
i used to listen to the podcast while running in cambridge on cold winter nights - kept my mind off the rain and wind a treat - keep up the good work man!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Excellent idea Bob, may have to get myself one of those. Used the Shangri-La a few times now and really love it, lack of porch isn't a problem as there is plenty of space, we've been using it with the nest and if we really need more porch space we just unclip a corner and pull it in slightly. The only problem with the nest is the base isn't that waterproof, we're going to silicon seal it this week.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
The only problem with the nest is the base isn't that waterproof, we're going to silicon seal it this week.
How are you going to do that Lithril? Spray, brush on etc. - I have the nest and have found the same thing. I had considered a footpint to place beneath but silicon might be the way to go

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Is the nest floor not completely waterproof then?

What I'd love is a 'nest' type thing that only covers half of the tent, thus affording a nice big sleeping area and a porch as well.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Is the nest floor not completely waterproof then?

What I'd love is a 'nest' type thing that only covers half of the tent, thus affording a nice big sleeping area and a porch as well.
No Dom it isn't and it is a lot thinner than I would have liked, presumably to keep the weight down to a minimum. I would have personally prefered a bit more substance to the floor and put up with the additional weight. I have had tents with the common plastic weave type groundsheet that have done the job admirably well and cost a lot less than the nest :( . That said it's still a cracking set up and i won't be parting with mine anytime soon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE