Some Hex 3 questions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've been after a new tent for a while and whilst I'm happy to use a tarp and bivvi we also need a tent with inner, especially when out with groups or when there are going to be copious amounts of bugs (thinking of Scotland this summer...) , I think the new Shangri-La 3 with inner is the way to go. Just been reading around a bit about the hex 3 (again) anyone have too many problems with the vents letting in rain when its heavy (and probably windy). Also does the lack of porch cause too many problems?

We're looking at using this as a lightweight 3-4 season tent for ML purposes, any other ideas about this?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The hex is only let down by the lack of porch area. IMO, it excels in everything else. I put mine up a few weeks back when I did the firelighting thing with Ant at Hill Holt woods and the wind really got up. I didn't sleep in it though as we decided to spend the night in the giant canvas teepee they have on site but the Hex weathered the storm no problems.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I am impressed with it and 98% certain its the one I want, just little concerned over a couple of reviews on outdoorsmagic about getting an impromptu shower when the rain became horizontal.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've never had the rain come through the vents. Rain would have to literally be running parrallel to the floor to get in! And then only maybe!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have been in some pretty nasty stuff in mine and its been fine. I do have the inner tent with the bathtub floor. I think some of the 'complaints' have been horizontal rain coming in under the bottom edge - this does not happen with the addition of the inner.

I never have had rain coming through the top vents. I suppose it is possible but when it does it can't be much could it?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Hex is a great tent and can really take high wind no problem. The pole is adjustable which means at full height the tent edge is several inches off the floor which could cause problems if you don't use the bathtub groundsheet or nest insert. However, lower the pole a little and the tent edge is down to the ground and you are sealed.

Like any Tipi, regardless of size, if you leave the door open in rain you will get wet. The tent is big enough for two people to sit in comfort and cook inside using a small stove (THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS AND IS UNDERTAKEN AT YOUR OWN RISK), but I rig a tarp either over the tent if stove cooking or away from the tent if using an open fire; never use a wood fire in these tents.

Great tent:)

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I love my hex 3 too!

re the upper vents: some have just attached a short length of cord from the outer edge, through a grommet and held by cord lok inside. If you need to close up then you just slide the cordlok along.

Never had that problem though, but I've never been out in the hex in horizontal rain either.

as for cooking then either a tarp [I use a redundant hammock fly] or the roll back the floor approach works well enough.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I don't suppose that there is anyone here in Hampshire that has one that we can have a look at before we order is there??? :p

Cheers

Matt

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I don't suppose that there is anyone here in Hampshire that has one that we can have a look at before we order is there??? :p

Cheers

Matt

Im in Sussex, more than welcome to have a look at my Hex next time i go out if you like, probably be next weekend if i can get my chit signed:)

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Sorry to butt in on someone else's thread but can anyone recommend the best place to buy the Hex 3 from.....I have been drooling over it for ages.

Cheers,

Kim

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My only moan about the Hex is the '3 man tent' claim, well, its not, even without the pole and suspending the tent. Its two in comfort really, especially if you want to bring rucksacks and other kit inside. You could fit three without pole, but that would be too short on space for me.

If you want real luxury, take the tent for a solo trip (its easy light enough to do this).

One or two tips for the tent

On soft ground you need some sort of platform under the pole. Tension from the guy lines will pull down on the pole, a platform will stop the tent losing height. You can use a bit of flat stone or as I often do, a small stainless steel bowl, this is very handy for storing bits and bobs like specs, MP3 players, camera's etc. As the tent pole is adjustable you can vary the height as needed

The Hex (and I would guess the Shangri-la) comes with a couple of extra guy lines for use in high winds. I've rigged a loop to slip over the top of the tent with four storm guys but I've never used them yet.

I've modded a tent peg which slips under the pole as you erect the tent, this works as a hook for hanging a small lantern, very effective and the weight of the lantern stops the peg slipping down the pole

Click image

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Ahhhh thanks, that explains why everyone seems to be out of stock!! haha

Now I can drool over the Shangri la

Cheers

Kim

:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE